Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Looking Around
xlustx Offline

Looking Around

Hello everyone, Icon_biggrin

I'm xlustx, I've been looking around ratemyserver for roleplay servers and somehow Hero-server is the most promising. I want to ask you guys if Hero will be a good server for me;

I'm basically looking for a server with the following:

Classic and Custom Lore Quests
-I'm not looking to be OP in PvP, WOE, etc. I'm looking to have a chill time wandering around the world of Midgard learning it's lore/characters/places as I do quests on my own pace.

Cooperative Players
-One problem I had with my former server (It's dead now) is that players seem to be more focused on "gettin gud" and getting rich to "git gud". I'm more focused on relieving the nostalgia of playing Ragnarok Online back when there's a whole bunch of people doing quests and just simply having fun with others.
-It would be great if there are others out there whom I can party/guild with and just learn the lore of Ragnarok with.

Customization
-Reading around the Hero Wiki and Forums, I'm pleased with what the mods are doing in terms of customization, the "it's our private world" and "will add more customization" stuff increased my interest to this server.
-Custom Pets, Alternate Outfits, Hairstyles, Hats, Additional NPCs.. I'm looking forward to seeing them and watch the admins improve them.

Less Grinding
-It doesn't have to be a x10k rate, I just want a game where I don't have to grind for a long time just so I can beat the next mob monsters for a quest, I don't have the same loose schedule as I had back in high school, I have a job now along with other responsibilities, so having to grind for weeks just to attain one level is not something I want to spend the remaining of my time on.

Events
Seeing that Hero has daily and seasonal events, I guess I'll find no problems in that.

----------------------
For now, these are what I can think of, if you guys have a different server in mind for me, please feel free to PM it to me.

Thank you very much! No1

--------
Also, I am currently downloading the game and looking forward to see the Server for myself; I still really want to know what you guys think of course.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 02:12 AM by xlustx.)
06-07-2016 02:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

RE: Looking Around

While I can't vouch for everyone on the server, I do know there are people out there who are always looking for a good time, and are willing to party for it. I'm not sure how much Lore they'd do, but I know the Wine Brewing Society does parties fairly frequently nowadays. I haven't seen them around Lately, but I think Sheam and the Bastion of Souls crew might also catch your fancy.

While some grinding is unavoidable, we do have some repeatable quests for exp that are available. We have the Item of the Day (Helping out the Healer NPC at >=51, can be done 3 times a day and has fairly good exp for the effort ), the Brasillis Puppies quest (Daily), Monster Extermination Quest (Monthly quest, rewards life insurance items and exp, life insurance is nice if you tend to die a lot). I have always found that my characters tend to stall out in levels around 80-ish, and these quests help a lot.

I will say I'm kinda guilty of wanting to git gud, though I'm pretty decent with what I got so far. Midgard is an Interesting place, but I'm far more interested in the New World beyond the Ash Vaccuum and Satan Morroc's Interdimentional Crack. Perhaps if you're still interested, I'll see you around the plant ladies in splendide~.

Wonder if the Chinese New Year quest counts? The entire story and quest changes based on the year. Last year the Horse was at war with the Snake.

[Image: giphy.gif]
The Oka Compendium
: A glorified record of my alt-a-holic-ism. May or may not be up to date at any given point.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 02:32 AM by The Legendary Joe.)
06-07-2016 02:25 AM
xlustx Offline

@The Legendary Joe
I'm not sure how much Lore they'd do, but I know the Wine Brewing Society does parties fairly frequently nowadays. I haven't seen them around Lately, but I think Sheam and the Bastion of Souls crew might also catch your fancy.

I'm thinking of joining one of them for the leveling and newbie training as I've probably forgotten how to play RO now lol. I've read on the guild thread of people creating social guilds (mostly short lived tho), so maybe if I do well here, I can try and recruit other people on social party/guilds as well.

we do have some repeatable quests for exp that are available. We have the Item of the Day (Helping out the Healer NPC at >=51, can be done 3 times a day and has fairly good exp for the effort ), the Brasillis Puppies quest (Daily).....

I'll try if doing these quests and events would make the grinding efficient enough for me. I'm looking forward to the daily and seasonal events as well, they'll be fun I'm sure. Thanks for the tips.

Perhaps if you're still interested, I'll see you around the plant ladies in splendide~

Thanks.. we'll see, so far Hero is the most promising; although by the looks of the discussions here in the forums, I've missed a lot.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 03:27 AM by xlustx.)
06-07-2016 03:27 AM
Plant Away

Hello there, welcome to the server. Just a few things I wanna point out. I'm typing this on phone so pardon me if I make any typos ><

Event
I don't think events are frequent enough to be called daily but GMs do pop up from time to time to do events. There's also automatic events that players can start themselves by using an item called Event Bag. You can expect at least a few events a week. There's scheduled weekly and monthly events too that will always happen.

Roleplay-wise, I've read that the story is coming to a new arc soon and events to advance the storyline are always announced in the forums beforehand.

Edit: Other forum events like The Screenshot Game and Treasure Hunt are also announced from time to time. Sometimes sadistic Ciar gives hints for Crazy Merchant.

Grinding
Like Joe said, there's no avoiding the grind since this is a low rate server after all. Daily exp quests are pretty huge help for those who tend to not like the lengthy grinding. The daily exp quests are good enough to give you one level per quest in your 50's till mid 70's. Here's the link for Puppy quest and Healer quest.

Another important mention is Monster of the Moment where certain monsters are chosen and their exp are doubled or sometimes even tripled for a certain amount of time.

(06-07-2016 02:25 AM)The Legendary Joe Wrote:  I know the Wine Brewing Society does parties fairly frequently nowadays. I haven't seen them around lately.

We've always been hiding in our hometown Aldebaran! Icon_smile
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 04:04 AM by Plant.)
06-07-2016 03:53 AM
xlustx Offline

(06-07-2016 03:53 AM)minnntre Wrote:  Like Joe said, there's no avoiding the grind since this is a low rate server after all. Daily exp quests are pretty huge help for those who tend to not like the lengthy grinding. The daily exp quests are good enough to give you one level per quest in your 50's till mid 70's. Here's the link for Puppy quest and Healer quest.

Another important mention is Monster of the Moment where certain monsters are chosen and their exp are doubled or sometimes even tripled for a certa...

In your opinion guys, which would be a faster way to level here in Hero, by doing "Monster of the Moment" or doing the "Daily Exp Quests".

---
Also, how long did you guys take to achieve level 70+ transcendent?, along with your merchant character.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 05:18 AM by xlustx.)
06-07-2016 05:16 AM
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

I'd say combining the both would be a good idea. Monster of the moment typically has 2x-3x the amount of experience given, but often the monsters chosen are not for every class. I've always tried to combine questing, grinding and item turn-ins as of late.

---

Trans on my Creator... God I did her during the birthday event so 99/70 was a bit too easy. Did a spellsword to level, too. Probably a couple weeks if I really went at it?

I know my sniper took about a day to reach level 80 trans after I rebirthed her. Mind, she was a lv 9x hunter for years (literally).

---

@Oka: BoS is around, trust me. XD

[Image: .gif]
Test & Dev | Wiki
The taste of our wine is as divine as the stars
Summerstream | Amelia Newman
Ithilethiel | Aquaris Harmoni
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
06-07-2016 11:55 AM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

(06-07-2016 05:16 AM)xlustx Wrote:  Also, how long did you guys take to achieve level 70+ transcendent?, along with your merchant character.

I feel uniquely qualified to answer this question. I made a HWiz (Cecil Vega) last year, and was able to get him leveled in about a month or so to 99 non trans. About another week after that I had him 70+ transcendent.

If you're smart with planning your journey to take advantage of customs, you can get some basic gears and gain experience pretty quickly here. There will be some grind, but there are some repeatable quests now which really ease the grind a lot. People mentioned Puppies and Item of the Day but there is also the 13.2 repeatables, and the monthly acc. based quest, Monster Extermination (custom).

If you want my opinion about the things you asked about in your first post, I'm willing to take the time to add my own side of things to it. :D

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
06-07-2016 07:37 PM
GM-Rahice Offline
The Malevolent Queen Maleficent

Daily EXP Quests are not going to be the optimal way to level, they do help you out. Healer can only be done three times a day, per character. Lost Puppies is one time a day, per character.

We don't have multi-leveling, so your exp will not give you more than one level. This is where using Monster of the Moment is going to give you some helping hands.

I see Wine Brewing Society and Bastion of Souls both doing random parties (dying~) and I'm pretty sure that either guild is more than happy to lend helping hands to new people.

I can't say I know what everyone's goals are, but there are people who enjoy leveling and partying still, there are MVP parties and as others mentioned there are player-ran and GM-ran events as well.

As far as the roleplaying community goes, there are posts that are done both by Players and by GM-Ciar that are keeping people up to date on what is currently going on. Like Legendary Joe said, there was just an announcement that a new Saga is going to be starting (infact the monsters are already roaming in Nif, just a warning!).

There are a lot of people who are involved in the Roleplaying and you can always ask questions and we can catch you up on it, the back story information is available through the Wikipedia (things that happened years ago are always referenced in the new posts to help people connect the dots.).

New stuff is always announced as it comes out!

[Image: Rahice.gif]
Thank you Ren for the Signature!
06-07-2016 07:38 PM
xlustx Offline

@everyone
Wow, thanks a lot for all the information guys, I've started playing and am now just grinding on spores, maybe I'll start doing the xp quests when I get to my 2nd Job?

(06-07-2016 07:37 PM)Aaronock Wrote:  If you want my opinion about the things you asked about in your first post, I'm willing to take the time to add my own side of things to it. :D

Please do, I'm interested in what you think.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 10:42 PM by xlustx.)
06-07-2016 10:42 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Since you asked...

Quote:Classic and Custom Lore Quests
-I'm not looking to be OP in PvP, WOE, etc. I'm looking to have a chill time wandering around the world of Midgard learning it's lore/characters/places as I do quests on my own pace.

I understand that feeling, so you want to play, and play at your own pace. That's something that is easy to respect. So if I were in your shoes when playing since your time is more limited... I'd try to make sure to tackle things like, "Farm items for x hat" or "Grind so much percentages of experience."

Quote:Cooperative Players
-One problem I had with my former server (It's dead now) is that players seem to be more focused on "gettin gud" and getting rich to "git gud". I'm more focused on relieving the nostalgia of playing Ragnarok Online back when there's a whole bunch of people doing quests and just simply having fun with others.
-It would be great if there are others out there whom I can party/guild with and just learn the lore of Ragnarok with.

Every server has players more focused on getting decked out in more and more tweaked gear. But I'm sure you can also find others who want to play and experience RO in a similar fashion to you as well. I'm open to parties but most of my characters are very high level now. Just how it goes with playing for so many years on one server. Icon_razz

Quote:Customization
-Reading around the Hero Wiki and Forums, I'm pleased with what the mods are doing in terms of customization, the "it's our private world" and "will add more customization" stuff increased my interest to this server.
-Custom Pets, Alternate Outfits, Hairstyles, Hats, Additional NPCs.. I'm looking forward to seeing them and watch the admins improve them.

Yah there's a lot of great customs to take advantage of. As a newbie, I'd look up the guides regarding Buddy Beanie, WoE Point Rewards, and Battlegrounds. The Hatter page may be of interest as well to know what cards are usable with him (as part of one of his games) and what you can obtain. Also, make sure to read up on the custom dungeons and the monster drops therein.

Quote:Less Grinding
-It doesn't have to be a x10k rate, I just want a game where I don't have to grind for a long time just so I can beat the next mob monsters for a quest, I don't have the same loose schedule as I had back in high school, I have a job now along with other responsibilities, so having to grind for weeks just to attain one level is not something I want to spend the remaining of my time on.

No biggie here, most others have addressed this question already, but I'll just repeat a few things. Most popular stuff is to do the Puppies and Item of the Day quests on a daily basis. But if you decide to quest really hard, you can do the modified official 13.2 quests along with Monster Extermination Monthly custom quest. You can of course pay attention to the Monster of the Moment and get more experience battling those foes instead of the usual junk (Mosco, Rach Sanc, Hillwinds, etc). Doing quests to get some levels is not bad either here, because they give 5x more than their usual experience. :D

Quote:Events
Seeing that Hero has daily and seasonal events, I guess I'll find no problems in that.

Not necessarily daily events, but they are plentiful enough. Players can also host automated events with an NPC in Prontera as long as they have an Event Bag item. Which, you get those by participating in events as well~

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
06-08-2016 09:18 PM