Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Public Inquiry: spoiling private quests on main rule
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

Public Inquiry: spoiling private quests on main rule

So far one month has passed since the implement of the new rule regarding no revealing of custom quests on @main. As a reminder, that rule is:

Do Not Spoil Custom Quests in Public
Details/Locations on any heRO custom additions or quests are not to be mentioned using @main or public forums. However, players are allowed to ask questions regarding these heRO custom quests in public, but answers must be given through other chats, PMs or in private forums.

Originally it was stated that we will remind everyone only up to February, then we will put the rule into practice like all the other ones. However, it seems that heRO server is still not as automatic as we GMs hoped for in self-discipline about this rule.

We implemented this rule in the beginning because of constant feedback from some players how their quests are ruined in terms of how there's no challenge in heRO's many custom quests, because everything is spoonfed on @main. This was mainly from the Christmas Quest. When some players finally got the time to start, they already know the location of where all the GM NPCs are, and the answer to the Christmas Trivia because people keep asking about them, and people keep typing up the answers directly on @main. As a result, only the first group of people who did the Christmas quest the moment it is released get to enjoy the questing experience as it is intended.

Some players say that they should just turn off @main if they are displeased how there are answers on @main, but we don't find it the most fair that these players who only want to enjoy some custom additions to RO having to forfeit potential trading deals or party opportunities for that.

We'll open part of this rule for public inquiry and discussion, but *GMs reserve the final word on the outcome of this discussion.*

Bottom line for us GMs:
-this rule will not be completely abolished, and only modified at most
-this rule will always be applied on seasonal custom quests
-proper "punishment" is necessary for frequent offenders, but we will hear public opinion on what should this punishment be (it should be minor, as this is not game breaking but an annoyance for other players)

a) Should there be exceptions to this rule?

Ayu's personal view: Hatter card is a great example. They are part of a custom quest. Technically they are part of this rule too. However, they are just too important to heRO economy to deny new players the knowledge of what's a hatter card. Also, this will prevent the recent "hatter card scam" selling a non-hatter card and labeling it as hatter card in an attempt to make profit.

b) How often do we have to remind someone of this rule until we draw the line and call for disciplinary action?

c) What is the disciplinary action?

Anything else related to this rule, we are open to discussion (but again, not totally democratic. We GMs reserve the final word, but will take player opinions into account.)

If nothing is said, then we'll go with warning then mute type of thing.

02-28-2008 05:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snapplewee Offline
¥Snapple¥

RE: Public Inquiry: spoiling private quests on main rule

If I can voice my opinion;

I've always felt that the rule just meant "don't post it publicly on the forums". In game, you'd have to deliberatley Screen Shot or be someone with access to chat logs to find the information again.

In every other game I've played, when something new came out and they said "don't say" they meant "don't tell everyone on the forum at the second its figured out" but help in game was always okay.
02-29-2008 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Loki Offline
Posting Freak

I just always believe in people should at least try for themselves, then if they have to ask they can be given hints, but no offense, like with the v-day quest... those hints were easy <_<'' yet nobody could figure them out...

There's only two blue dog mobs in game:

Garm
Kobolds

obviously if you don't find the npc on the first area wouldn't you go look at the other Icon_razz

If the player at least gave it an honest attempt to try then sure help them, but for those who whine and complain and say "oh I just don't want to look I just want gearz". I say don't help them >_>

[Image: Loki-Sig_zpsd461cd88.gif]
02-29-2008 04:02 PM
Force-Attuned Krogoth Offline
Jack of All Trades

well, Loki, the Kobolds thing isn't as cut-and-dried as you seem to think. There are three maps the array of melee kobolds, and then three more with kobold archers, who are still blue dogs. And when you have to search the map for an invisible clicky, basically mousing over every tile on the map, for six maps, for each of twelve clues, when the quest is supposed to be up for three days, and you have to work all three of those days, you may very well look for some help. As I see it, the time constraint completely changes the flavor of the quest. Not only are people more inclined to cut some corners to be sure they get it done before it goes away, but there are also more people doing the same quest at the same time. When they can take as long as they wish, it's alot easier to tell them to screw off.

Kroggles ensures the living stay living, and the dead stay dead.
Clobberella beats you up.
Teela Brown has a birdie!
Flosshilde communes with the very souls of the damned.
Walsung is actually pretty cool. For a guy made of metal.
02-29-2008 08:25 PM
Kirby_Z Offline
The Kirbster

Placing NPCs with clues in game about all the custom quest is the best way to deal with the problem. You can be allowed to tell anybody about the first npc that tell you the rest of the clues and from there on is up to the player to find the other clues. Just my two cents.

Proud Member Of The Nya Nya Crew
[Image: nyanya.jpg][Image: 51000806.png]
Nya Nya Crew - ¥†‡ Hero's #1 Social Non Woe Guild ‡†¥
03-01-2008 12:13 PM
Loki Offline
Posting Freak

Force-Attuned Krogoth Wrote:well, Loki, the Kobolds thing isn't as cut-and-dried as you seem to think. There are three maps the array of melee kobolds, and then three more with kobold archers, who are still blue dogs. And when you have to search the map for an invisible clicky, basically mousing over every tile on the map, for six maps, for each of twelve clues, when the quest is supposed to be up for three days, and you have to work all three of those days, you may very well look for some help. As I see it, the time constraint completely changes the flavor of the quest. Not only are people more inclined to cut some corners to be sure they get it done before it goes away, but there are also more people doing the same quest at the same time. When they can take as long as they wish, it's alot easier to tell them to screw off.

that's why I included this part:

Loki Wrote:If the player at least gave it an honest attempt to try then sure help them, but for those who whine and complain and say "oh I just don't want to look I just want gearz". I say don't help them >_>

As I said, if they gave an honest attempt to check both the garm map and kobold map then ask for help, then I have no problem with people helping them. It's the ones that as soon as they get the clue don't even move from a spot before asking EXACTLY where the next one is. But you are correct on the time thing.

[Image: Loki-Sig_zpsd461cd88.gif]
03-06-2008 10:36 AM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Loki Wrote:If the player at least gave it an honest attempt to try then sure help them, but for those who whine and complain and say "oh I just don't want to look I just want gearz". I say don't help them >_>

As I said, if they gave an honest attempt to check both the garm map and kobold map then ask for help, then I have no problem with people helping them. It's the ones that as soon as they get the clue don't even move from a spot before asking EXACTLY where the next one is. But you are correct on the time thing.

You know there are actually a few maps that have kobolds on them, I thought it was suppose to be on the map before GH at first. There are a decent number of them on that map, but I guess there are more petites there than kobolds, maybe shoulda known better Icon_razz

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2008 11:19 AM by Aaronock.)
03-06-2008 11:19 AM
ShadesOfBlue Offline
Order of Chaos

Loki Wrote:It's the ones that as soon as they get the clue don't even move from a spot before asking EXACTLY where the next one is.

Cry
Laugh

[Image: obama_supporters.jpg]
03-06-2008 02:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply