Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Inapropriate Chat in Main
Sekaru Offline
Winter's Hope

RE: Inapropriate Chat in Main

lol I'm just saying this all cause I know eventually I'm gonna swear on main and get reported and when that day comes hopefully others will stick up for me Icon_razz. besides its pg 13 non? I've seen many a movie that were rated PG that had more graphic and explicit content then what I read in the screenshots all I'm saying is if this is the end of the world to you maybe you should take everyone's advice and turn main off? since that seems to be everyones solution to the main problems -_-

and rhino that rule deals with respect towards a player and does not apply to this case since he was using f*** not as an insult but as a substitute for the word s** wich would of probably been even more inapropriate. I guess the real point I'm trying to drive at is everyone on this server has said f*** before in many situations while this guy who got muted was just telling what he thought was a funny joke and it obviously was since someone was discussing it with him -_-

Mystra whats the most popular topic? sex and in that topic wich branch is the one of the most popular? my bet its that one you suggested Icon_razz

but yeah it was 30 mins but still 30 mins without the use of skills or speach for telling a joke that someone found funny is lame and you'd all of been like omg wtfux? if it happened to you

p.s give the guy some credit after the whole watch language on main he didn't say f*** anymore Icon_razz. and besides everything he said was normal hell 80% of the world would of phrased it worse.

Ice, Honor, Pride,     HeRo...
[Image: siggysek.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2008 08:10 PM by Sekaru.)
03-15-2008 08:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rhino_Man Offline
Kickass Monk

as far as I know the GM team will pipe in on @main and then /b before muting you unless you said something excedingly offensive. I've accidentally cussed on main before and all I got was a "please watch the language" after which I did and didn't get any punishment.

Most people who get punished for their language usually just refuse the warnings, thus earning said punishment. The punishments aren't idle or anything but at the same time, any sane GM team would give a little bit of leeway for first offenses.

Any server with a GM team that would ban at the first sign of a cuss on main really ought not to be played. If that's how they deal with something relatively minor (yes MINOR) how would they deal with something big?

Hi, don't whisper me please.
03-15-2008 08:30 PM
Sekaru Offline
Winter's Hope

they kill the player irl Icon_razz

Ice, Honor, Pride,     HeRo...
[Image: siggysek.jpg]
03-15-2008 08:51 PM
Seil Offline
Hi floor!  Make me a sammich!

Quote:and rhino that rule deals with respect towards a player and does not apply to this case since he was using f*** not as an insult but as a substitute for the word s** wich would of probably been even more inapropriate

Because I wanna pipe in without saying (once again) that this happened because the rules were broken.

I don't know about you, but I think "f***" is more offensive than the word "sex." Sex is considered a risque topic because of what it involves, but when we get down to it, it's a basic word that describes an action that is vital to the species. If we didn't have sex, we couldn't reproduce. That being said, sex is a word that describes an act of love and passion - it's two people sharing their bodies in an intimate way.

"F***ing" is what's described in countless songs, movies and various other mediums as taking a woman and using her as a sexual object for one's pleasure. Aside from the fact that sexual education is being taught in schools to young children, whereas the word "f***" is a no-no.

It's all about context - I mean, I can talk to my grandmother about Pokemon. I can - it's simple, really. But if I wanted to tell her about Ditto being a "pimp" and "f-ing" everything, then... I wouldn't. Because there's just some thins you don't talk about in company such as that. It doesn't matter if she's heard the word before, has used the word before or is going to use the word again: take note of where you are, what you are doing and who you are doing it with, and choose your language appropriately.

Quote:I've seen many a movie that were rated PG that had more graphic and explicit content then what I read in the screenshots all I'm saying is if this is the end of the world to you maybe you should take everyone's advice and turn main off? since that seems to be everyones solution to the main problems -_-

I play Silent hill - it's one of my favorite game series. I own Silernt Hill 0, 2 and 3, and I've beaten every game in the series except for 1. As you know, Silent Hill is a little bit of a mature game, and some view the material as sick and twisted. However, after playing these games, and seeing the source material, I don't let it affect me too much. It's just a game that I'd enjoyed.

It's not polite for me to discuss the subject matter because the subject matter deals with things that are a taboo in society. It's all about context. You can be with your friends and have an entire conversation using only swear words, but on this server, some players might be young, some players might be cleaner; it's not polite.

The idea about @main being turned off was because some people believed that newer players were taking over the feature, while others believe that some of the chatting was getting in the way of other things that were going on. However, after playing on the server for a few weeks, this is the only really big incident that I've seen, aside from some mild spamming - and it's been dealt with, so why are we still talking about it?

Quote:Mystra whats the most popular topic? sex and in that topic wich branch is the one of the most popular? my bet its that one you suggested

Tell you what - you and I can talk about sex. PM me, and we'll have a ball. Let's just not do it either in game or on forum.

Quote:but yeah it was 30 mins but still 30 mins without the use of skills or speach for telling a joke that someone found funny is lame and you'd all of been like omg wtfux? if it happened to you

It depends on the situation. If I had said a joke, a clean joke, which was greeted warmly, with hearty guffaws, I would totally have been "OMGWTFBBQROFLMAO." However, in this case, what was talked about was the idea of small, furry animals "f-ing" and the like. Now if I had made that joke and I had gotten muted, I would've understood "Okay - no more talking about the sex lives of animated rodents."

/end rant

That being said, why are we still talking about this? Zeekio did something that was viewed by the GMs as bad. He got punished for it, and as you said, he hasn't re-offended. So I'm guessing the guy learned his lesson. Let bygones be bygones.

I agree that there might be some people with their heads screwed on too tight, as I've heard many conversations liked that, and laughed at most of them. But, this is not my server, and I'm not the only player on the server - I have to be respectful of the people letting me play and the people I'm playing with.

Seil - Acolyte
03-16-2008 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Silent Hill Ok

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
03-16-2008 12:17 PM
Rhino_Man Offline
Kickass Monk

silent hill creeps me out.

aside from that, well said Seil.

Hi, don't whisper me please.
03-16-2008 03:47 PM
Former-GM-Mystra Offline
Posting Freak

Seil is right in most of what he said, except for sex.

Sex is still degrading, the right word would be "to make love", that is all right. Sex and the f words are degrading, granted, f is even more. But I guess people don't really get the difference anymore.

Before the mute, I spoke to Zeekio and he agreed on being muted. I don't understand why it's getting so much flaming this time as I have been muting people for these sort of reasons for the passed 2 years.

~ RMS ~ Top 100 ~ Top 200 ~ Vote Daily!!
[Image: Mystrad.jpg]
~ Support Tickets ~
03-16-2008 04:44 PM
Lysander Offline

"Sex is still degrading" Mystra, that is like saying that 'Penis' is a swear word. It is the scientific / medical term for two people 'making love'.
03-16-2008 05:01 PM
Seil Offline
Hi floor!  Make me a sammich!

Quote:Silent Hill
Whoo!

Quote:silent hill creeps me out.
Blasphemy!

Quote:aside from that, well said Seil.
Seil do good? (=3)

Quote:Seil is right in most of what he said, except for sex.
Awwwwww.

Quote:Sex is still degrading, the right word would be "to make love", that is all right. Sex and the f words are degrading, granted, f is even more. But I guess people don't really get the difference anymore.

I dun understand this. I agree that sex should not be talked about on @main, as it's a gateway topic that allows people to jump into a cornucopia of strange, strange chat ideas. However, sex itself is supposed to be something that's beautiful. The word sex describes an act that's not only justified in a self-preserving sense, or a religious sense, but it's agreed by everyone that sex is necessary and wonderful. It's just how a few people choose to go about it that's wrong.

The word sex is no more demeaning than the words "eat," or "sleep," and I don't understand why North American society has put such a block on something like the act of having sex, making nearly everyone embarrassed to talk about anything involving a sexual act. Whatever happened to celebrating ones sexuality?

However, I do understand that it should not be discussed on the forums or in game, because there's bound to be someone who takes that extra step and ends up insulting half the server - it is a slippery slope, and it's better to close off that slope completely.

Seil - Acolyte
03-16-2008 05:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you, but regardless if people agree or not, thats the key part:
Seil Wrote:However, I do understand that it should not be discussed on the forums or in game, because there's bound to be someone who takes that extra step and ends up insulting half the server - it is a slippery slope, and it's better to close off that slope completely.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
03-16-2008 05:37 PM