Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is my router causing lag problems?
BlueAlchemy Offline

Is my router causing lag problems?

One day me and my brother decide to hook up the router so we can play both play RO... but for some reason the following heppens

1. Everythings going well for a period of time... (3-25 minutes)

2. We both get a huge lag spike simultaniously

3. Then one of us disconnects and the lag spike stops

4. Then the cycle repeats itself when the person who disconnects logs back in

anyone know how to fix this?

were using a linksys wired router by the way

Characters:
Zraxus (main) Creator
Brave Sir Robin    Bard
Inigo   Crusader
VixPaladin  (for gods sake I'm a priest not a paladin)
Check out my store!
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2008 03:35 AM by BlueAlchemy.)
05-18-2008 03:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

RE: Is my router causing lag problems?

Use ShadesofBlue's thread in this section of the forum to test if it's your ISP screwing up first or not. That's probably a good place to start.

05-18-2008 03:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Maybe your router is not very good, I have a router which splits my connection between 3 computers and I have not had any problem.

What brand is it?

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
05-18-2008 01:22 PM
BlueAlchemy Offline

GM-Pandora Wrote:Maybe your router is not very good, I have a router which splits my connection between 3 computers and I have not had any problem.

What brand is it?

Linksys Cable/DSL router (wired only) and my ISP is Shaw. I'm sorry for not replying for so long, the issue just popped up again and I was wondering if anyone could help now.

@Pandora if you need more information let me know

Characters:
Zraxus (main) Creator
Brave Sir Robin    Bard
Inigo   Crusader
Check out my store!
06-06-2008 06:32 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Not sure what could be causing this sorry, perhaps contact your ISP. If anyone has any idea to help BlueAlchemy please post.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
06-06-2008 07:28 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Hmmm, I never had this type of problem with my family's Linksys router. I think I should note though that the connection on it likes to fall out every now and then also, but definitely not for as long as yours does.

My bf just claims Linksys sucks though. I'm not so sure how to fix it, I just think its something the darn thing does at this point though since my parents and I have done a lot to make sure it works well, but it still likes to get knocked out every now and then.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
06-06-2008 10:00 PM
Chained Chaos Offline

I've been using Linksys for a few years now, so I'll see if I can come up with a few suggestions.

1) How far away are your respective computers from the router? Sometimes the longer the distance the information has to travel, the weaker the signal can get because it's split (and if it's split in multiple directions it can get worse).

2) Every linksys I've owned had a built-in firewall that sometimes blocks certain programs -- P2P, torrents, and other such things that require the sharing of information between your computer and the internet which includes gaming. Fixing this is actually pretty easy. All you need to figure out is which ports you're needing to connect to. I can't help you there, but perhaps one of the GMs (or Pandora herself) could. Basically, you'd need to find out the accepted ports for connecting to the server, then log into your router and bypass the firewall with a proxy -- put simply, telling your router "Let this program work like it's supposed to; there's no need to block it." Now, the firewall usually doesn't block these programs all together. It usually just severely limits how much information can be passed to and from it. Which might explain why you're able to connect initially, then get kicked.

If you can find out the ports you need to forward through your router via one of the GMs/Pandora, use this website to figure out how to access your particular model of Linksys: http://www.portforward.com/english/route...rindex.htm

Hope that helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention this. If it turns out that the router is indeed blocking your access to heRO's server because of the firewall, and portforwarding is the solution to that, you'll need to edit the router settings for both computers for it to work properly for both of you. Which means you'll need to find out the IP address for both computers and enter in the changes to the router twice; once using your IP, and once using the other computer's IP.

[Image: tyraelsigix4.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2008 01:12 AM by Chained Chaos.)
06-07-2008 01:05 AM
BlueAlchemy Offline

RE:??Is my router causing lag problems?

Chained Chaos Wrote:
Hope that helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention this. If it turns out that the router is indeed blocking your access to heRO's server because of the firewall, and portforwarding is the solution to that, you'll need to edit the router settings for both computers for it to work properly for both of you. Which means you'll need to find out the IP address for both computers and enter in the changes to the router twice; once using your IP, and once using the other computer's IP.

Oh yea... that sounds like it could fix the problem, I know how to access the built in fire-wall and check my computers IP-Addresses, so I just need to get the port information on heRO and I'm set to give that a try. (if the gm's are gonna give me this information I suggest pming it to me for security reasons)

But then again... I got an internet cable that goes like... 50-100 yards through my house (behind a wall and into my basement) so it might be a distance issue... But ya I'll try a few other things before resorting to shorten that.

Thanks for the idea's

Characters:
Zraxus (main) Creator
Brave Sir Robin    Bard
Inigo   Crusader
Check out my store!
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2008 01:45 AM by BlueAlchemy.)
06-07-2008 01:44 AM
Chained Chaos Offline

BlueAlchemy Wrote:Thanks for the idea's

No problem. Keep me posted -- either through this thread or via PM. Hopefully forwarding the port works out, but if the problem keeps up I'll look deeper into the issue.

[Image: tyraelsigix4.jpg]
06-07-2008 02:04 AM
Seil Offline
Hi floor!  Make me a sammich!

I use AirLink 101, and I my internet gets borked off and on. More on than off, though. (><)

Seil - Acolyte
06-08-2008 11:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply