Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Literal end of world...maybe
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

Literal end of world...maybe

Not sure who has been keeping up with the news or current events. The world's greatest scientific experiment is nearing completion and is due to begin on sept 10, 2008. I'm talking about CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC). This can mean leaps and bounds for the development of science, there is just one problem. There is a small chance it can destroy the planet.

The LHC is, in a nutshell, a 6 billion euro machine collaboration by more than 80 countries and many tens of thousands of scientists. If you dont know what a collider is, you basically inject particles into it, accelerate them to the speed of light, and collide them into each other. The LHC's circular track has a 27 kilometre circumference... It crosses the border between Switzerland and France 4 times throughout that circumference. Upon this huge collision the particles will of course release ridiculous amounts of energy.

"Several CERN-commissioned reports and subsequently published research papers have corroborated the safety of the LHC particle collisions. One research paper published on August 10, 2008 reaches the opposite conclusion, stating that "at the present stage of knowledge there is a definite risk from mBHs production at colliders."

whats a mBH? a micro black hole. We are of course assured that this cant possibly end the world by the scientists and that even if it does form it will basically self-destruct from the high amounts of energy anyway so there should be nothing to worry about.

"Particle accelerators are there to break new ground -- to explore new physics. And the physics science is about to explore, is really new and exotic. Nobody has ever seen a mini black hole. In fact, no one has even the faintest idea how gravity works on very small objects."

After all this whole experiment is to delve into unknown regions of science. Supposedly a mBH will not form however, if the mBH DOES form and it happens to form in a stable manner... well there is very little we can do to prevent the end of life on earth. The mBH is so small that it will seep between all molecules and get pulled by gravity down to the center of the earth. in typical Black Hole fashion, each particle that the mBH runs into will be absorbed into it, and it will slowly grow until one day consuming the earth's core, mantle, and crust. That or I read somewhere that the earth can be consumed in less than a second.

"If you were to play back the tape of what went wrong very slowly, you would see something very peculiar. Suddenly, you would see the Earth deform. Obviously, not a very good sign. Our planet is flattened out to become a disk. Beams of radiation shoot up from where the poles used to be. And then, zzzp, the planet?s gone. Just like that. Within a split second, it would simply vanish, right before your eyes. "

graphical rendering of our planet being consumed by a black hole in its core
[Image: BlackHole_lab.gif]

So yeah despite all the research going into the safety, there was a paper released 18 days ago that pretty much stated there is a definite risk of creating a black hole on earth. There have already been TONS of legal action against CERN as well as many demonstrations outside the facility to protest the LHC.

Lets hope we're all here on the 11th Icon_biggrin

sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhc
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programm...erse/vote/ <--watch video
http://www.lhcconcerns.com/LHCConcerns/Forums/phpBB3/
http://www.exitmundi.nl/blackholes_lab.htm
http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 02:54 PM by teOx.)
08-28-2008 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KohakuSan Offline
<3 Hill Lions!

RE: Literal end of world...maybe

Couldn't they chose another date? >_<
I really hope September 11th doesn't carry anything about bad luck, destruction etc with it, if so we're doomed... Cry

At least I trust science and the scientists, they wouldn't be crazy enough to do something THIS dangerous without taking a lot of care.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 03:15 PM by KohakuSan.)
08-28-2008 03:11 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

in my opinion, don't start a revolutionary scientific experiment until there is 0% educated conjecture that it can end our existence. sounds pretty reasonable no?

we're doomed T_T

LK Wrote:At least I trust science and the scientists, they wouldn't be crazy enough to do something THIS dangerous without taking a lot of care.

"On October 25, 2005, a technician was killed in the LHC tunnel when a crane load was accidentally dropped.[37][38]

On March 27, 2007 a cryogenic magnet support broke during a pressure test involving one of the LHC's inner triplet (focusing quadrupole) magnet assemblies, provided by Fermilab and KEK. No one was injured. Fermilab director Pier Oddone stated 'In this case we are dumbfounded that we missed some very simple balance of forces.'
"

remember kohaku. they are human.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 03:30 PM by teOx.)
08-28-2008 03:18 PM
Doori Away
Lovable

hahahaha
why do we gotta own ourselves like this

[Image: obitosig.png]

[Doori Sniper]       [Obito Stalker]
08-28-2008 03:19 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

[poorly timed bad joke] EVERYONE SEND MAIL TO CHUCK NORRIS ONLY HE CAN SAVE US NOW! [/poorly timed bad joke]
08-28-2008 03:22 PM
Doori Away
Lovable

RE:??Literal end of world...maybe

teOx Wrote:in my opinion, don't start a revolutionary scientific experiment until there is 0% educated conjecture that it can end our existence. sounds pretty reasonable no?

we're doomed T_T

hahaha we all know that any sane human being has an urge to push a big shiny button even if it means the end of the world....all because we wanna see wat happens afterwards XD

08-28-2008 03:27 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

see for yourself, why black hole cant happen:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0807...3349v1.pdf

clearly their math is way off! <_>
08-28-2008 03:49 PM
thecursed Offline
The Great Saiyaman!!

this is ridiculous theres to many things i havnt done in life yet to die because scientists wanted to learn more. And i really find it odd that the governments are allowing this.

and on a total random note rockband 2 is coming out on the 14th i hope we all live to play it.

Trowa - Retired Noob

Quoted for truth:
azurerogue Wrote:Players leaving the server (recently) has nothing to do with quests.  We leave because we're bored.  HeRo is an excellent server, and I'm not relocating to a new one - I'm just bored with RO in general and I have way too much going on personally to commit time here.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 04:03 PM by thecursed.)
08-28-2008 04:03 PM
Doori Away
Lovable

RE:??Literal end of world...maybe

teOx Wrote:see for yourself, why black hole cant happen:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0807...3349v1.pdf

clearly their math is way off! <_>

who published this? seems like they're trying to draw the fear away with complex looking math....

08-28-2008 04:15 PM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

If it's as dangerous and imminent of a danger as they say, I think the scientists who expected the black hole coming will do a bit more than just science papers...? Perhaps a bit more spoken out against it Sweat I don't know about you, but there's like how they say water will completely run out in the northeastern United States by 2010 >_>;

Not like something we can change it seems as it receives no publicity and certainly no government showing 'concerns' or remotely motivated to stop it. Let's just say that if it happens, we'll probably die a quite painless death just imploding before we feel much of a thing. If we live past Sept 10, we can sue the ones who published the paper about the mini-black hole for massive psychological damage of world destruction, and then we'll all be richer than Bloody's RO account with RL money.

Sometimes can't worry about it and just more reason to live life to the fullest instead of "I'm so bored I'm going to sit in Pront." Scientists got 500+ papers published both for and against global warming, and we still don't have a clue what's really going on and who is "right." If we have to worry about every single paper that gets published on any potential threat, we better be praying 24 hours everyday then.

08-28-2008 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply