Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why Is It That When I'm Depressed, I Drink?
Seil Offline
Hi floor!  Make me a sammich!

Why Is It That When I'm Depressed, I Drink?

I prose a serious question. I've just had what I believe to be a crappy day - it's all relative, but I believe it to be crappy - but why do I drink? I mean... there are so many better things I could be doing, but I'm downing sho after shot of Jack and working on a near full bottle of Painted Turtle Pinot Grigio. That's beside the fact that I'm making (and correcting) so many spelling mistakes (because I can hardly keep track of my hands) it would make your head spin.

Why, in times of... what I guess you'd call... suffering.... (I guess?) do I turn to smoking and drinking?

Seil - Acolyte
10-16-2008 12:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seriyu Offline

RE: Why Is It That When I'm Depressed, I Drink?

Same reason some people eat more often when they get stressed or bored, it's just a "comfort" to them. Not in the traditional sense of course, but it helps relieve the stress for whatever reason, for that person.

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
10-16-2008 04:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

No idea honestly, I'm not a drinker, problems or not. You could always consult if it gets to an abnormal level, people are often ashamed to do it but it's actually quite healthy.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
10-16-2008 12:57 PM
Shaelyn Offline
Fae...of DOOM!

because alcohol and cigarettes are depressants - as in, if you get emotional and hyped up about something, it'll calm you.

there's a scientific explanation for you.

~Shae

[Image: 37z4hjpf.png]
10-16-2008 01:39 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

Seil Wrote:there are so many better things I could be doing

untrue Icon_smile
10-16-2008 01:47 PM
Ahura Offline

its the same question as why is it you masturbate or when you bored you play ro? its just really something todo tbf feels nice sometimes and stops the brain form working, same reason as why i spend two full days watching animes when i have weeks off so i forget reality exists

[Image: 346lv1g.jpg]
10-16-2008 02:34 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

masturbation is healthy Icon_biggrin
10-16-2008 02:41 PM
Ahura Offline

not if its too much could cause problems

[Image: 346lv1g.jpg]
10-16-2008 02:45 PM
Former-GM-Mystra Offline
Posting Freak

Please remember this is a public forum.

On the other side, people answered pretty well, a habit is a habit, they make you forget what is happening to you. Unfortunately, people tend to go into nasty ones like drinking, smoking or eating. You know, taking a walk would work, writing would to, even cooking works.

If you keep drinking/smoking to the point it worries you and you even go to a game forum to talk about it, it shows you are worried, looking for answers but that you are to shy to talk about it publicly. Go ask a doctor or a psychologist, you could also go to your local AA's meeting or Internet address to simply start learning about facts. Don't let that bad occasional habit become a simple one. Your brain will then interpret that feeling bad + alcohol/smoking = feeling better. I know someone who has someone in his family affect himself, don't be the reason of others misery, act.

What you just did by posting here is the first step, acknowledge that you might have a problem, it's the right track!

~ RMS ~ Top 100 ~ Top 200 ~ Vote Daily!!
[Image: Mystrad.jpg]
~ Support Tickets ~
10-16-2008 04:54 PM
Shaelyn Offline
Fae...of DOOM!

RE:??Why Is It That When I'm Depressed, I Drink?

GM-Mystra Wrote:If you keep drinking/smoking to the point it worries you and you even go to a game forum to talk about it, it shows you are worried, looking for answers but that you are shy to talk about it publicly. Go ask a doctor or a psychologist, you could also go to your local AA's meeting or Internet address to simply start learning about facts. Don't let that bad occasional habit become a simple one. Your brain will then interpret that feeling bad + alcohol/smoking = feeling better. I know someone who has someone in his family affect himself, don't be the reason of others misery, act.

word.

also, don't be the reason of your own misery. you are responsible for your own happiness; no one else can make you happy but you. if you're not happy because you drink or smoke, you're the only one that can change that for yourself.
so if you're not happy, start making steps to make yourself happy. there are people out there that can help you with this - seek them out.

~Shae

[Image: 37z4hjpf.png]
10-18-2008 12:32 PM