Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Discussion- Roleplaying the Opposite Gender
Avalon_Fates Offline
†Last Angel†

RE: Discussion- Roleplaying the Opposite Gender

O.C.C.C.D..hmmm I like it mind if I steal it for myself? By the way its not cause I look out for Gender specific words, I just tend to want to express myself more clearly.

Which is epic for a airheaded person like me.

[Image: 330g3na.gif]
"A utopia without love is just an illusion"
Angel Fates /99-68/1 agi 190aspd Lord Knight.
Magia Erebea Elysia /83-49/ Battle Alchemist
Magia Elysia/94-50/Magic Bullet Monk <-Needs work.
11-28-2008 12:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Everoth Offline
Chivalry Heart

hmmm as a personal opinion...hmm roleplaying has always been a way to be something you are not in real life, there fore if it cross the mind to be a gender bender ( non hence on futurama ) then it is all to stablish the proper kind of rp.

personally i find it kind of confusing some times, heh talking to a guy that has been my friend for such a long time just to realize later that he was a girl ( had happend to me ) hmmm it was not so disapointing but a heads up would had been more than enough haha....

hmm also well i dont see the harm much, exept the external one when you realise later on that he is a she or she is a he...( or in some times a SHI......dont ask )

so well....as a personal opinion i dont mind people changing genders at all, its their life and rp, heh justs a heads up on the one that its behind the character would be nice, some people end up been too atached to them later just to later on know the truth, but well i bet those are the kind of gags life offers...arent they?

Loyalty to one's friends and those who lay their trust in thee.
[Image: Everoth-TeaCup.png]
Thanks Rika for the Marvelous Sign.
The Code of Chivalry [Image: e6wosw.png]
( http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/chivalry.html )
11-28-2008 07:02 PM
Slate Offline
Cue-ball Warrior

I've got no problem with people RPing characters of the other gender; a character is a character. If they're able to account for society's roles and mindsets as they pertain to the other gender, great. If they play it as if the character is their own gender in the body of the other, that's just as good: the closer we get to ditching gender stereotypes the better.

As an RPer and DnD player, my male/female character ratio is about 65:35. I prefer playing male characters because I'm not a very good actor and thus have trouble acting 'feminine', but if I come up with a female character concept I can roll with, I'll use it.

[Image: 33918807.png]
Fortune Favors the Bald

Slate: 9x/6x Lord Knight
Basalt: 9x/50 Sage
Glass: 9x/50 Bard
12-23-2008 01:00 AM
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

You ay to ditch the stereotypes, and then say you find it hard to make females feminine.
Girls are not always feminine and guys aren't always masculine.

My view on it is, considering the amount of people we come across online, especially on RO, and cannot tell their real gender (and rememeber that RPing on RO tends to be just talking, and not much of text actions), then girls and guys can act the same a lot of the time, and there is no problem with RPing the opposite gender.

(... The amount of times I get "But I thought you were a guy, Ina.' No. I'm a -girl-. Yes, offline, too. <<)

Inasad
stop doing dickers
12-23-2008 01:33 AM
Slate Offline
Cue-ball Warrior

RE:??Discussion- Roleplaying the Opposite Gender

Ellie Wrote:You ay to ditch the stereotypes, and then say you find it hard to make females feminine.
Girls are not always feminine and guys aren't always masculine.

I said getting rid of the stereotypes was a good thing, not that I don't believe they exist. Icon_razz I certainly believe they shouldn't, but most of the time playing a believeable character takes priority over trying to change the world for me, and the way culture has evolved has indeed brought about differences between the genders, just not as much of a difference as a lot of people seem to think there is.

[Image: 33918807.png]
Fortune Favors the Bald

Slate: 9x/6x Lord Knight
Basalt: 9x/50 Sage
Glass: 9x/50 Bard
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2008 10:16 AM by Slate.)
12-23-2008 10:15 AM
Avalon_Fates Offline
†Last Angel†

Ellie Wrote:(... The amount of times I get "But I thought you were a guy, Ina.' No. I'm a -girl-. Yes, offline, too. <<)[/size]

Sadly its like the complete opposite for me. Cept ive only been mistaken for a girl like once in real life...that I know of...>.>

[Image: 330g3na.gif]
"A utopia without love is just an illusion"
Angel Fates /99-68/1 agi 190aspd Lord Knight.
Magia Erebea Elysia /83-49/ Battle Alchemist
Magia Elysia/94-50/Magic Bullet Monk <-Needs work.
12-23-2008 10:46 AM
Fatalis Offline
Shadow of Nobody

I was about to make a post about my thoughts, then realized I was the one who posted this topic!

... But really, this entire post was just an excuse to see how my new signature & avatar contrasted to heRO's forums.

As I said earlier, I do not mind playing the opposite gender, and people generally do play same-gender characters well because of the relative similarities.

Though, admittedly, I can't help but laugh at people who go "You're a guy/girl?!" when roleplaying with someone that's using an opposite gender character.

Never gets old.

Click below for my (unfinished) wiki page!
[Image: PersonalSig.jpg]
[ Known in-game as Revenant Fatalis ]
12-23-2008 04:04 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

I still have many people at disbelief I'm a girl on this server lol. I guess I cuss too much and like to talk about sex too much Icon_razz

Whatever, I'm happy in my guild and with my friends cause they let me be me, and they like me for it (at least I think so). When RPing, its a different thing, I don't have huge expectations for the others to actually like Aaronock for example, he's kind of a huge jerk to people overall, and my stalker...oh man I love RPing his crazy butt, especially since he claims to hate women, but there's story to even that. To me, I get the most fun making characters that are a bit quirky, I like to make others react to their personalities as they are not what they are at first seem to be. :]

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
12-23-2008 04:36 PM
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

RE:??Discussion- Roleplaying the Opposite Gender

Fatalis Wrote:Though, admittedly,??I can't help but laugh at people who go "You're a guy/girl?!" when roleplaying with someone that's using an opposite gender character.

And when you're not. XD

Inasad
stop doing dickers
12-23-2008 09:10 PM
Fatalis Offline
Shadow of Nobody

RE: ??Discussion- Roleplaying the Opposite Gender

Ellie Wrote:
Fatalis Wrote:Though, admittedly,??I can't help but laugh at people who go "You're a guy/girl?!" when roleplaying with someone that's using an opposite gender character.

And when you're not. XD

Honestly, it shouldn't matter when roleplaying... Nor on the internet in general, really.

Unless you're attempting to conduct cyber-sex, or something, but if you go into roleplay with that kind of mentality you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

Click below for my (unfinished) wiki page!
[Image: PersonalSig.jpg]
[ Known in-game as Revenant Fatalis ]
12-24-2008 09:41 AM