Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Failed to Connect - Have Tried A lot
Niku Offline

RE: Failed to Connect - Have Tried A lot

Computer was built by me, using custom parts. It's more than powerful enough to handle RO xD

OS is Windows XP Service Pack 2, reinstalled last night on a clean HDD.
Could it be a service that isn't running, or something else like that?
01-07-2009 06:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Windows comes with a firewall built in, doesn't it, did you try de-activating it?

I wish windows had something similar to iptable to check ports and such.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
01-07-2009 09:19 PM
Niku Offline

Yeah, I wish Windows had a bit more configurability (is that even a word?).
I have disabled it, as Comodo is my primary Firewall (and Windows does detect this).

I have found a couple of programs which I'll be testing tonight. Both do the same thing, though apparently 1 is more powerful than the other.

PingFu Iris - Tunneling software for games and applications. Supposed to work with games like WoW and several other MMOs. If this doesn't work, the company is recommending their other software...

Auto Tunnel GG - Supposed to be the more 'powerful' version. It says it supports Ragnarok on their page, so I'll be giving this a shot if the above doesn't work.

PingFu Iris costs $5 a month, and Auto Tunnel GG is $15 a year. I only need to get it working for about a month before I move back home and have access to my Billion Router (which is a BILLION times better than the Netgear I have right now).

I'll let you know how I go!
01-07-2009 09:28 PM
Niku Offline

Ok, so those programs both failed. *sigh*

I asked a friend of mine, and he got me to do a few tests.

I did a Trace Route on the server's address (pandora.bounceme.net, 24.201.55.164). Both times, the Trace Route request timed out at 24.200.225.206. According to the Whois/IP info we found, it stopped at the same area as the server (physically, Montreal Canada).

My mate reckons there might be an IP-range block on the server or whoever is hosting the server. I'm going over to a couple of different places tomorrow to check the client and whether it works on other people's internets/computers.

I've also run the client from my roommate's PC on the same Network, and he is also not able to connect.

Does this offer any more insight to the problem?
01-08-2009 06:26 AM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Well, pings coming to my network seem to be blocked, I'm not sure what port ping uses, but they don't use the ports of the server.

Lots of other players are able to connect to the server and other RO servers don't work on your compter+internet, so I'd assume that playing from someone else's computer+internet would work just fine, I don't think testing this would be very relevant.

If you can bring your computer to someone else's internet that might narrow it down to either being your computer or your network. But I understand how bringing the computer elsewhere might not be very convenient.

Sorry it's giving you such a hassle.

The server is changing host this Saturday btw, who knows maybe it'll work then, but if the problem is with the ports that are blocked on your side it's unlikely.

~ Server Admin ~
01-08-2009 12:35 PM
Niku Offline

Thanks for your help Pandora,

I'll see what happens when I bring the client to someone else's place - while I know it'll probably work, I might find something over there that I might've missed on my end.

Unfortunately I can't really move this computer. Other than the fact it's very inconvenient, it's also extremely heavy. The case alone (empty) weighs about 18kg, so with the 6 other hard drives + more inside, it's quite a load. xD

[Edit] So naturally, I bring the HeRO client to work and test it here. Of course, it works. Which, like you said, pretty much means nothing right now. It's still either my home connection, network or PC. >.<
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2009 06:02 PM by Niku.)
01-08-2009 04:15 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Is there any other computer on your network? If so, try on them to know if it's the network or your pc or get a friend with a laptop to come try your network.

~ Server Admin ~
01-09-2009 08:05 PM