no god
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religous views
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

RE: Religous views

Herman Wrote:Teox, for your blasphemy to the FSM, you will eternally rot in his unrefridgerated meatballs....

I must remember that...
It does sound rather... nasty.

Inasad
stop doing dickers
03-20-2009 11:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

RE:??Religous views

JJJ Wrote:
teOx Wrote:p.s. just a reminder that the fact that you cant disprove something is not a basis for believing in something. it doesnt take much brainpower to realize the flaw in that reasoning.
in most areas, if you can't prove it you can't believe it......
but religion is somewhat the opposite

either way myths, religion, belief, or what ever you want to call it provide rather wonderful stories which is basically the only part of them i like

i agree Icon_biggrin it adds to culture as any good fiction would x3 x3 x3 x3
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2009 11:55 PM by teOx.)
03-20-2009 11:52 PM
conch Offline
1 ea

did you know that satan reads the bible u.u

¥[Image: w1z2h5.png]¥
03-21-2009 07:21 AM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

nice post teox.

However, i must disagree with you on this point:
even though i would really really like it to be so, sadly religious wars and killings still kill a lot of people. The numbers may even be much much more than what it was in the past...
and even though many would disagree with him, i remember a man once said: "the death of one man is a tragedy, but the death of a hundred is just statistics"...

humans are actually inherently unable to really know anything. But most would like to believe otherwise, thus concepts of the metaphysics sell like hot cakes... especially the ones which seem "likable"...
or as another man would put it: "man is absurd. It can't create a maggot, yet it creates gods by the dozens"

why do most people tend to cling to religion?
because it's harder to imagine being born in a world with no predestination, no absolute lines. Just floating around in infinite space, never knowing light from dark. The world may actually be various shades of Grey, but people prefer to see it in Black and White...
why?
because by making the boundaries seemingly "apparent", man thinks that man can finally "know" something... Too easy do they forget that they are using assumptions when they draw those lines...
why?
because if each and every person were to be forced to actually think about who they are, what they want, how they should act, etc. they would actually have to bear the consequences themselves. Most prefer to avoid this liability, thus they oh so happily forgo some parts of their freedom to externalize that liability to another -a religious leader, a concept of a deity, etc....

take responsibility ppl, THINK... Ok

-w-
03-21-2009 11:19 AM
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

mahawirasd Wrote:humans are actually inherently unable to really know anything.

^ Makes no sense without a definition of knowledge.??

I recommend this to everyone ---->???? http://www.amazon.fr/LExistentialisme-es...2070329135

Random lul :

[Image: god_lol.jpg]

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2009 02:05 PM by Général_Argos.)
03-21-2009 02:01 PM
Bloody Offline
Mmm Blood

If that's a real pic, it's the exact definition of win.

Hades 1 - Humans 0
03-21-2009 03:09 PM
Kadar Offline
Cheese is WoE

teOx Wrote:no offense to anyone, though it is inevitable. :D

faith/religion = believing in something with absolutely no solid proof, an idea that even those who are religious would completely reject anywhere else in life. Nowhere else in life would any of you believe in such a random story just because someone told you to believe it. the only difference is that a significant amount of others believe in the same thing, and its an established and popular idea(an idea which started hundreds of years ago i.e. "the earth is flat!").

Faith is not the same as religion. An application of faith can be the belief in something with no solid evidence. Does that limit faith to only those kinds of beliefs? Of course not. Do you have faith in the theories of science teOx? Do you take them at their word or do you refuse to believe anything you havn't proven directly on your own. You're going to believe whatever you want to believe for any reason you want. You're going to take the theories of science and accept the ones you want and reject the ones you don't want. You're going to do the same with your morals and that same with your religious beliefs.

Do you need a reason? Will you really follow the facts when you learn them? Society wants a reason. Society wants logic and objective truth. Society wants everything to be so simple because it's unwilling to realize it's limits. And why should it? It's in the human spirit to strive for more than what we've got. It's ingrained in each of us to achieve more and more and more.

However, limits do exist and there are things which will always remain subjective. There are hints and clues or even coincidences if you choose to see them that way which can be interpreted different ways. Is not religion another lens through which to view our world? There is subjectivity and it will always exist. You can't prove for it and you can't prove against it. So make your interpretation and believe it strongly with whatever justifications you want. THAT is faith.

teOx Wrote:you who laugh in the face of things like scientology or the flying spaghetti monster must realize that christianity/etc is the exact same thing, some fiction novel written by someone a long time ago with absolutely no basis in reality but to teach stories/ethics like any childrens book. You have absolutely no reason to believe any of those stories have any higher ground other than the fact that someone told you when you were young.

sad thing is everything that used to be believed as fact in the Bible has been completely disproven by science (which you believe in, who here thinks the earth is the center of the universe?) and religious officials have no choice but to continuously withdraw their statements throughout the centuries. today's society of christians doesnt even obey/believe in the majority of the words, they only pick and choose the parts they like, as they are more convenient. dont deny it. after all, it is extremely comforting to believe there is an afterlife, i wont deny that. fear makes you do crazy things.

The bible is not made up of 'random stories' as you said in so many words. Every teaching was meant to build a moral foundation and a moral law for the people at that time. Do you intend to shut yourself off from the past? Is there nothing to be learned from history? Don't be a fool. There is very strong evidence of the events in the bible ACTUALLY HAPPENING. Hard to believe I know. That's just the way it is though. The bible DID happen. Science 'proved' it ;p

It's a history book just as much as a religious teaching. Some parts of the bible are less applicable now than they were in the past when you take them word for word. It's a teaching not an instruction manual. Think about the things you read for yourself and talk to others about it. You wouldn't take everything in life at face value would you? If you're going to believe something with such potential for strong ramifications why not dig as deep as you can and explore it to the fullest. Will you see yourself a fool or will it prove itself to be sound? I'd rather know my belief than sheepishly follow.

teOx Wrote:There is not much to argue since the world is slowly changing for the better. the amount of hardcore religious people has drastically dropped and very few people still have their lives revolve around it. Religious wars and killings are no longer ruining the lives of the innocent as much as they were in the past. More and more people are becoming atheists and science has proven itself time and time again. The trend will continue until the day it will become silly to believe in any religion. Jesus? flying spaghetti monsters? wtfunk! I am optimistic.

Lol. I hope you aren't so blind as to shut yourself into an intellectual corner so early in life. I don't really care what religion or religious unreligion you subscribe to as long as you aren't blindly following it.

[Image: combinedoodlesigiq6.gif][Image: siromafinished1ln0.png]
03-21-2009 04:05 PM
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

RE: ??Religous views

Kadar Wrote:So make your interpretation and believe it strongly with whatever justifications you want.??THAT is faith.

No.??Believing that something is true after investigation and an application of logic is not the same as believing something because you were told to do so when you were young.??The difference is a priori vs a posteriori.??

Now tell me that you believe that the world was created in 7 days.??

Kadar Wrote:The bible DID happen.??Science 'proved' it ;p

No.??Give me a link to an article saying that science proved ressurection existence.??Or afterlife.??Or Hell.??

Religions are just morality tales that had their purpose of social unity a long time ago.??It's time to move on and think of what we can do instead of asking ourself what is god's divine plan.??

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2009 04:25 PM by Général_Argos.)
03-21-2009 04:23 PM
Bloodbane Away
¤†Hero of old times†¤

lol... you may call me a person full of bullshit and even possibly a liar... but i was witness to a mirracle

Never forget the old days.
[Image: screenheRO-Server124-1.jpg]

-~Proud husband, father, and the luckiest guy in the world.~-

Steam Profile
Youtube
03-21-2009 04:35 PM
GM-Aki Offline
Posting Freak

I warned that this must thread must stay polite and no flaming. Thread softly. I don't want to see this degenerate into a "you noob, no you noob, no you noob" thread.

@Krimlin: your link was to a french book, maybe an english version would be more appropriate for those interested.

The Cake is a Lie

heRO Wiki | Support Ticket | Vote for HeRO | Review heRO
03-21-2009 05:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply