[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religous views
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Religous views

@krimlin>>
i must admit general that i must have overlooked/forgot that passage. However, i still believe that the main reason for his adherence to "god" is to justify his hypotheses...

and yes, luckily Sartre managed to render religion irrelevant to human life. Although sadly people still argue that without religion there is no morality, i find those arguments weak and not compelling enough. We can live in a civil society without making moral standards based on divine beings...

@danny-krins>>
well some do say "ignorance is bliss"...

@herman>>
come now, join the fray...

@lance>>
well the thing is lance, sometimes i think the scientific community becomes too dogmatic that they forget their initial assumptions...
funnily enough, apparently the religious community is also mistaken by thinking that evolution negates creation;
no matter how true evolution is, and even if Urey-Miller were right on target, they still can't negate the possibility that a divine being of some sort created it all in the first place...

due note that that "divine being" may be different from the zoroastrian, christian, jewish, islam, etc conceptions...

the thing why i always stress how inherently incapable man is to actually "know" anything is that because even when religions use "god" as a divine justification, they usually apply an "untouchable" characteristic to that divine being, rendering them unreachable from the realms of man...

we never knew anything, we don't know anything, and we will never know anything...

-w-
03-23-2009 09:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

RE:??Religous views

mahawirasd Wrote:well the thing is lance, sometimes i think the scientific community becomes too dogmatic that they forget their initial assumptions...
funnily enough, apparently the religious community is also mistaken by thinking that evolution negates creation;
no matter how true evolution is, and even if Urey-Miller were right on target, they still can't negate the possibility that a divine being of some sort created it all in the first place...

due note that that "divine being" may be different from the zoroastrian, christian, jewish, islam, etc conceptions...
does it effectively matter if they cant negate it? if they are right on target there's no evidence nor reason to suspect otherwise basing on empiricism. of course there is no reason to not consider the possibility of a divine being but that alone doesnt justify religion.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2009 05:45 AM by teOx.)
03-24-2009 05:40 AM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

of course it doesn't justify any religion, the possibilities are endless... Ok

personally i think that if religion makes you a better person, then go ahead, be religious. I would even go so as far as defending your right to be religious. However, once it steps on public matters, there's where i draw the line. IMHO, using a personal believe as a basis for communal matters is not a wise thing to do...

-w-
03-24-2009 05:59 AM
Lance Offline
Dragon Lance - Hiya! Normal People!

Yeah, the world would be a better place if everyone loved one another and were kind, polite and humble. Sadly, most just want to be jerks and live life however they feel like it. =/
03-24-2009 04:12 PM
Monkey Feet Offline
Fated to be Hated

Lance Wrote:Yeah, the world would be a better place if everyone loved one another and were kind, polite and humble. Sadly, most just want to be jerks and live life however they feel like it. =/

Icon_wink Kissy

[Image: monkey.png]

[Image: siggymonkey.jpg]
03-26-2009 03:19 PM
Lance Offline

mahawirasd Wrote:@lance>>
well the thing is lance, sometimes i think the scientific community becomes too dogmatic that they forget their initial assumptions...

the thing why i always stress how inherently incapable man is to actually "know" anything is that because even when religions use "god" as a divine justification, they usually apply an "untouchable" characteristic to that divine being, rendering them unreachable from the realms of man...

we never knew anything, we don't know anything, and we will never know anything...

-w-

One thing I'd like to mention is that intelligent design does not mean religious creation. Though a religious person typically believes in intelligent design, a person that believes in intelligent design does not have to be religious.

The main reason the religious community believes that evolution negates creation, is because using the example of the bible, it says that God created all creation in 6 days. Created light/darkness in one day, created night and day in one day, created heavens and the earth in one day, people in one day. There wasn't millions and millions of years between these in order for all life to evolve. The bible says one week, six days and one for God to rest.

An interesting movie to watch is http://www.expelledthemovie.com/ Expelled: No intelligence allowed, with Ben Stein.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2009 03:45 PM by Lance.)
03-26-2009 03:44 PM
Olyfitz Offline

Religion has been used in the past as grounds for war and also as scare tactics as people are made to think that it is ok if they suffer in this life because they will have eternity in heaven. The moral ideals that religion portray are good and fine if the religions practiced what they preach XD. What I struggle with is the idea of a higher power... Free will ftw!

Uninspired 8X/50 TK Ranker
Disengaged 5X/3X GS
03-27-2009 04:05 AM
Lance Offline

Free will ... ever been to a communist country?
Free will is essentially dependent upon what the government gives you.
After all, the laws are what dictate "good" free will (pick what food you want to eat) and "bad" free will (buying a gun and killing someone with it)
03-27-2009 11:51 AM
Monkey Feet Offline
Fated to be Hated

Lance, but really, what is exactly GOOD and BAD?

Is buying guns exactly "bad"? What about protection? So having protection is "bad" also? Then in a way, firewalls are about the same, so we should get rid of firewalls and let hackers in because firewalls are "bad".

The thing I'm saying is, don't say what some people like/believe is good or bad.

[Image: monkey.png]

[Image: siggymonkey.jpg]
03-27-2009 02:31 PM
Lance Offline

Thats why I include the 'And' killing someone with it.
You can't tell me that its good to kill someone innocent? A lot of things can be designated as good or bad by using simple common sense. Another example, helping an old lady cross the street - Good.
Stealing from that old lady - Bad.

I have a simplified armory at my house, yet I never plan on using it.
Of course, you plan on attempting harm on the household, be prepared to deal with my sharp kitchen knives.
03-27-2009 08:37 PM