Total 20 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Updates VS stability
GM-Ben
Unregistered

Updates VS stability

Here is a little information concerning the server.

We are using eAthena which is a widely used server emulator for Ragnarok, there is a team of people developping it and there are numerous SVN released daily (subversions). Those are version the community are working on and can include some bugs which can lead to slightly unstable server.

In the end of November server was very unstable. At the beginning of december we switched to linux and at the same time to a preview release instead of using an SVN. Preview release are tested and checked for maximum stability.

Since then the server is very stable. Last sunday to reenable the sunday WoE I had to put an end to 18 day streak without any reboot/restart/crashes.

We think most of the stability issues were caused because the emulator was running under windows, but as we switched for a preview release at the same time we dont have an absolute guarantee.

So my question here: Do you want to give another try to SVN so we can have a more up to date server? (monster spawns/drops/dungeons - taekwon/soullinker/stargladiator - full cooking system - etc.) Or do you prefer that we wait for the next Preview (official) release? -> We have no clue when this will happen.

Please give your opinions concerning this.

Ben
01-13-2006 04:26 PM
Quote this message in a reply
LightRocket Offline
Mandeh Man

RE: Updates VS stability

I don't play on the server much, but...

Since apparently there was no testing to see if stability would be good enough with just the switch to Linux, there's no reason not to at least try going back to SVN. There's no reason to stick to previews when the actual difference between the SVN's stability on Linux and the preview's stability on Linux is unknown. Best, really, to try and find out. If SVN stability on Linux is still bad, then at least then it'd be known that it is, rather than just guessed.

This has been another random but short rant from the guy whose opinion is invalid due to him logging in only once a week. :X

Edit: First to vote/reply! The day belongs to the Mandeh! *runs off into the wilds in jubilation, and is quickly mauled by a pack of wolves*

Five hundred doors
and forty more
I think are in Valhalla:
Eight hundred heroes
go through a door at once
When they go to fight the wolf.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2006 04:41 PM by LightRocket.)
01-13-2006 04:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Ben
Unregistered

Keep in mind that if svn is chosen and stability is "really" bad we will most likely revert to current version.
01-13-2006 04:52 PM
Quote this message in a reply
GM-Scott Offline
The one you love to hate

Updates would be nice. Icon_wink

It's not "guys only", it's "heroic"!
01-13-2006 08:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ryxingeir Offline
waffooo!!

It would be nice to see how the full-cooking system works, and i'm sure there are people who would like to try out the taekwon line - so really as long as you know where to get our current preview again, if an SVN turns out to be worse for the server, then testing out a new SVN is kinda a win-draw situation (not really a win-win, but definitely not a win-lose, heh).

Well, my opinion at least /no1

Repost Bump!: this is still a very important issue, it needs more than 13 people to vote on it...
Icon_cry

[Image: so2vjd.png]

[Yuri - baby assassin]  [Coral Ways - high wizard]
01-18-2006 11:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply