Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
vending map
Little Sara Offline

RE: vending map

The solution to this problem I saw on another server with a decent population:

Put a warper in Prontera where people spawn that teleports to where the two hands shaking each other statue is, directly north of the main square. Have all the merchants there in neat rows. There's room for a couple hundreds. This would also remove lag when teleporting to Prontera by warp and NPC-overlapping and what not since there is nothing really there.

Some servers also use the old Payon map (which you can only teleport to), having the merchants above the staircase thingy in the middle of town.

The first solution seems less drastic though.

Little Sara 87/50 Assassin
PM me if you want to contact me, will more likely be replying than in-game (not always on Assassin).

[Image: 73962.jpg]
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2009 01:03 AM by Little Sara.)
05-13-2009 01:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frogboy Offline
Posting Freak

@caffran....dude where you been, there's like what seems to be nearly 100, if not more autotrade shops set up. if theory is correct and you have 1 autotrader per real player on the server, then you've got over 150 autotraders in a rather small area just south of central pront, and up near the tool shop, reset room, upgrader, and possibly even now around the weapons shop (haven't been to pront in a while nor have i been on much lately so i don't know). having that many people in one area can cause a great deal of packet congestion. also, this lag is server side as it's trying to render everything from the actual server to your client. packets collide and things get laggy, it's just the nature of it unless the server as well as you are on a really really good connection, something of the nature of T1 or higher internet connection.

i'm not trying to bash you so i hope you don't take it that way, just letting you know that this issue with autotraders isn't because of people with poor graphics renderers, as even on gravity official servers there's tons of people on at all times, with thousands of vendors and lag really doesn't seem to be an issue there though i haven't gone back to any official server.

would a better and more optimal graphics card help? probably a little bit, but considering the requirements to run RO are extremely low (a comp running Win98 and a cheap 8mb graphics card could run the game well enough) then i doubt the graphics cards and processing speeds of people is going to make that much of a difference.
05-13-2009 04:17 AM
strikeout02 Offline
Head Butler!

you know i dont think you should set up a shop just to sell a crap item like jellopy and try and sell it for 1000000000 thats just stupid if your going to set up shop make it worth it and stop crowding pront. That would get rid of half the shops. Oh and if you want to find a certin shop maybe we should add @whosell that way we dont need to look though 100 shops to find 1 item

[Image: 181572727e83fcem3.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2009 11:09 AM by strikeout02.)
05-13-2009 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Former-GM-Mass Offline
Banned

People usually put Jellopies or other worthless item for a high price because they don't want their shop to close if they sell everything.
05-13-2009 11:41 AM
Little Sara Offline

I used to run the game on a pretty old system. A P3 933 Mhz with 256 MB ram and a 32 MB video card. It ran fine, loading between maps took actual time (like 3-4 seconds), but otherwise, there was no graphical lag much. Problem with skill spamming with effects on occurred though.

I changed my system to a P4 2.4 Ghz with 1 GB Ram with a FX 5600 256 MB card (which broke, later replaced with a 128 MB card) and it ran fine too. I changed computer in 2003. I did notice a difference in loading times, but could still lag due to massive stacking effects and such.

I changed my system once again last Fall for a Quad 4x 2.4 GHz with 8800 GTS 320 MB card with 3 GB ram, and while I can keep effects on and not lag, or heck, record Fraps and not lag, Prontera loading still lags me if there's 100 merchants there. My framerate per Fraps drops to below 10-20 frames for a second or two, before going back to 75.

Oh and note that on the Quadcore computer, the % map loading takes less than one second. Doesn't prevent massive amounts of packet from lagging me, that's a connection issue.

PM me if you want to contact me, will more likely be replying than in-game (not always on Assassin).

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2009 11:47 AM by Little Sara.)
05-13-2009 11:45 AM
strikeout02 Offline
Head Butler!

RE:??vending map

Intern-Mass Wrote:People usually put Jellopies or other worthless item for a high price because they don't want their shop to close if they sell everything.

Thats stupid, not what you said just the people who would do that, why wouldnt you want the shop to close all your stuff is gone just close it!

[Image: 181572727e83fcem3.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2009 12:22 PM by strikeout02.)
05-13-2009 11:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frogboy Offline
Posting Freak

they wanna make sure they can keep their spot for when they return to restock more stuff. they don't want people stealing their prime vending spot.

@schala: map loading itself isn't that extreme of packet transfer. compared to loading hundreds of player sprites, shops, names, etc is what makes the slow down so noticeable. the map itself is quite easy to render and send the data through, but when you're trying to send the info of every character that is on the screen all at once you've got issues with collisions.
05-13-2009 12:45 PM
Sakurato Away
Full Support Copycat

lol sara RO utilizes 1 CPU not 4 xD.

You could have 50787893577 CPUs and RO would still only use one.

Basically multiple CPUs makes no difference for RO.

But I have noticed loading takes a lot longer now sometimes I freeze for 10 seconds loading into pront ):.

I vote we do what sara said and move them north to the hand statue.

Kohana|Sinx
Euphorie|Champ
Sonatina|Gypsy
Sakurato|High Priest
Nozomi|Whitesmith
Sakura|Professor
Frejya|Sniper
Ayami|Creator
Anei|Stalker
Fumiko|High Wizard
05-13-2009 01:05 PM
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

^ @ frogboy
If we have a vending map, prime vending spots won't be a hassle anymore.
Basically if you have to warp to the map, you're prepared to look at all vendors for what you want

The Pros of vending map are outweighing the doubts / cons or the We're just lazy and don't want this reasons

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
05-13-2009 01:41 PM
Little Sara Offline

RE:??vending map

Sakurato Wrote:lol sara RO utilizes 1 CPU not 4 xD.

You could have 50787893577 CPUs and RO would still only use one.

Basically multiple CPUs makes no difference for RO.

But I have??noticed loading takes a lot longer now sometimes I freeze for 10 seconds loading into pront ):.

I vote we do what sara said and move them north to the hand statue.

Makes a difference, see I keep Firefox open with 8 tabs, with 3 messengers and sometimes more tabs if I'm looking up something, and there is no slow down whatsoever. If Firefox and RO use a different CPU, its more speed.

05-13-2009 05:35 PM