heRO-Server Forum
Limiting Merchants - Printable Version

+- heRO-Server Forum (https://www.pandoraonline.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Game Related (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Suggestions/Questions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Limiting Merchants (/showthread.php?tid=18091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Limiting Merchants - RoChickita - 01-17-2011 06:12 PM

(since these forums are dead. I will provoke a debate. I couldn't find a related thread besides merchant maps and merchant positions so here it goes)

HeRO's population is very misleading. There are people who have 3+ vendors who are always online, which sometimes doubles or triples the server's actual playing population. Wouldn't it be a good idea to limit 1 or MAX 2 merchant at auto vending per IP? This would give us at least a true ballpark figure of the actual number of players. I'm sure in any given time, there are more idle merchants than actual active players. What do you guys think?

GO!

RE: Limiting Merchants - Sepharius - 01-17-2011 06:18 PM

I don't see how it's misleading. People in game are always quick to correct anyone who assumes the /who is the total population that roughly 150 or more are actually just autovending merchants.

RE: Limiting Merchants - Aaronock - 01-17-2011 06:24 PM

I am going to say let's not LIMIT how many merchants a person can have but how long they can stay up.

You can program @autotrade to only let you autotrade for so long a period of time. The heRO server does not reboot all that often and we know how merchants will try to overprice something stupid like a Jellopy to essentially "hold" a place in good vending spots (Prontera, Payon, Izlude).

So my idea is to force kick players after oh...72-96 hours after they use @autotrade. That is 3-4 days, enough time to sell most goods in a shop if you didn't totally overprice the darn stuff. It also opens the other spaces to other merchants so they can essentially have a chance at the good spots on the maps most often used for vending. It also forces people to update their prices more. I find it absolutely disgusting that some merchants get to keep good spots for sometimes over a month before a reboot happens simply cause they put some stupid overpriced thing in a shop to keep their spot on the map. ;O

RE: Limiting Merchants - Fabre - 01-17-2011 06:44 PM

Agreed, @both of you.

RE: Limiting Merchants - Fyrus Carmin - 01-17-2011 06:49 PM

I doubt limiting the number of merchants is gonna be accepted, but the option to log them off after a period of time is nice.

RE: Limiting Merchants - mahawirasd - 01-17-2011 06:55 PM

+1 Aaron. Would be easier to limit @at time than number of accounts imho...

-w-

RE: Limiting Merchants - Irxallis - 01-17-2011 07:42 PM

It is impossible to limit merchants in any meaningful way - enforcing, new rule, more burden upon GMs, besides it would destroy the convenience shops (7-11, PnP...). Unfeasible, I am against it.

I fully support Aaronock's suggestion though - let autotrade have a time limit of 72h (not less than 48h due to convenience shops).

On those other servers where the limit was introduced (according to my experience before I joined HeRO) number of merchants per player wasn't THAT lower (4-5 merchies per player) - but the difference was that items in shops had more accessible prices.

Right now if I put, say, a Mantle for 100k for sale it can lie indefinitely. Eventually someone might consider buying it or not but I don't care. If I had 72h timer I will either not make a Mantle shop at all or I will make it at 50k, then 40k, then 35k... simply because it is irritating to have to remake an OP shop nobody sane will buy from anyway ;-).

RE: Limiting Merchants - RoChickita - 01-18-2011 01:14 AM

I really like Aaronock's time limit suggestion. I would say 72 sounds very reasonable. I also saw that in other servers and it makes merchs work for their money/spots

RE: Limiting Merchants - Ngjoko - 01-18-2011 01:24 AM

+1 aaron

RE: Limiting Merchants - Kittie - 01-18-2011 02:43 AM

I love Aarons idea No1

It will, atleast i hope, make shops less OP and give other players a chance to stand by the front lines instead of those never ending "Sorry, holding spot"-shops.

Also 1-2 merchies per IP isn't a good idea at all since (i'm sure i'm not the only one in this) some people share IP's. Alex and i for example always play through the same internet connection 9/10 times.

*goes back to work now*