Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Limiting Merchants
RoChickita Offline
Fluffy things are soft

Limiting Merchants

(since these forums are dead. I will provoke a debate. I couldn't find a related thread besides merchant maps and merchant positions so here it goes)

HeRO's population is very misleading. There are people who have 3+ vendors who are always online, which sometimes doubles or triples the server's actual playing population. Wouldn't it be a good idea to limit 1 or MAX 2 merchant at auto vending per IP? This would give us at least a true ballpark figure of the actual number of players. I'm sure in any given time, there are more idle merchants than actual active players. What do you guys think?

GO!

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXX_NFn-pG-HH6B4nYvYe...yhUChJyYaI]
01-17-2011 06:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sepharius Offline
:3

RE: Limiting Merchants

I don't see how it's misleading. People in game are always quick to correct anyone who assumes the /who is the total population that roughly 150 or more are actually just autovending merchants.

[Image: chibiscorp.jpg]
Want Third class sprites? Click here!
01-17-2011 06:18 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

I am going to say let's not LIMIT how many merchants a person can have but how long they can stay up.

You can program @autotrade to only let you autotrade for so long a period of time. The heRO server does not reboot all that often and we know how merchants will try to overprice something stupid like a Jellopy to essentially "hold" a place in good vending spots (Prontera, Payon, Izlude).

So my idea is to force kick players after oh...72-96 hours after they use @autotrade. That is 3-4 days, enough time to sell most goods in a shop if you didn't totally overprice the darn stuff. It also opens the other spaces to other merchants so they can essentially have a chance at the good spots on the maps most often used for vending. It also forces people to update their prices more. I find it absolutely disgusting that some merchants get to keep good spots for sometimes over a month before a reboot happens simply cause they put some stupid overpriced thing in a shop to keep their spot on the map. ;O

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
01-17-2011 06:24 PM
Fabre Offline
Novangel

Agreed, @both of you.

"Lady" Fabre, and the house of Luvs.
WS-96, LK-96, SL-97,
Wzd-89, Sge-93, HP-96,
Chmp-90, Rge-94, arch-96,
(@who2 fabre) if you need help with something.
http://www.pandoraonline.net/support/
^short cut,for support ticket^
01-17-2011 06:44 PM
Fyrus Carmin Offline
The aura is with me !

I doubt limiting the number of merchants is gonna be accepted, but the option to log them off after a period of time is nice.

[Image: sansre5m.png]
[Image: sansre3o.png]
Quote:Note that any GM activity including monster summoning and mass carnage of players can be considered trolling (however, this can be disguised as an "event")
01-17-2011 06:49 PM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

+1 Aaron. Would be easier to limit @at time than number of accounts imho...

-w-
01-17-2011 06:55 PM
Irxallis Offline
Adventuring Archivist

It is impossible to limit merchants in any meaningful way - enforcing, new rule, more burden upon GMs, besides it would destroy the convenience shops (7-11, PnP...). Unfeasible, I am against it.

I fully support Aaronock's suggestion though - let autotrade have a time limit of 72h (not less than 48h due to convenience shops).

On those other servers where the limit was introduced (according to my experience before I joined HeRO) number of merchants per player wasn't THAT lower (4-5 merchies per player) - but the difference was that items in shops had more accessible prices.

Right now if I put, say, a Mantle for 100k for sale it can lie indefinitely. Eventually someone might consider buying it or not but I don't care. If I had 72h timer I will either not make a Mantle shop at all or I will make it at 50k, then 40k, then 35k... simply because it is irritating to have to remake an OP shop nobody sane will buy from anyway ;-).

IGN: Irxallis, 99 FS High Priest (DEX>INT>VIT)
Timezone: GMT+1 (server time +6)
Guild: -
Availability: on demand only

BG equipment = best PvM (demi-human) equipment to achieve only in PvP. Thus, on hiatus, unless you need us.
01-17-2011 07:42 PM
RoChickita Offline
Fluffy things are soft

I really like Aaronock's time limit suggestion. I would say 72 sounds very reasonable. I also saw that in other servers and it makes merchs work for their money/spots

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXX_NFn-pG-HH6B4nYvYe...yhUChJyYaI]
01-18-2011 01:14 AM
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

+1 aaron

I think I'm finally going "home", renewal is fun, but there is really nothing like "heRO"...

Kyarorain, Shield Crusader
Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
01-18-2011 01:24 AM
Kittie Offline
Cheshire Cat

I love Aarons idea No1

It will, atleast i hope, make shops less OP and give other players a chance to stand by the front lines instead of those never ending "Sorry, holding spot"-shops.

Also 1-2 merchies per IP isn't a good idea at all since (i'm sure i'm not the only one in this) some people share IP's. Alex and i for example always play through the same internet connection 9/10 times.

*goes back to work now*

Time zone GTM+1

Kittie- 99/70 Brewer Creator
Do a Little Dance 99/70 WoE Gypsy

[Image: nz0mqx.jpg]
01-18-2011 02:43 AM