Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Apologizes to the server
Kadar Offline
Cheese is WoE

RE:????Apologizes to the server

GM-Ayu Wrote:Warning: Incoming Wall of Text

Kadar Wrote:
GM-Pandora Wrote:If you do something bad, even if someone else told you to do it (bribe or not), it's still your responsibility.

Yes it is your responsibility but that doesn't mean that others are not ALSO at fault or to blame.??Does this mean that if I give someone a suggestion to break the rules and they do it I'm free and clear so long as I didn't bribe them?

No, both people in this scenario will be held responsible. In this case, the manipulator (Amil Gaul) was given full ban, while those who are bribed by him are given only account ban. Most arguments in this thread are made as if Aries took a harsher punishment than everyone else. Perhaps it seems this way because his account contain a character that's the highest level compare to everyone else, but if you look at the action carried out, he received an account ban similar to everyone else that got bribed.

We all know that Amil got the harshest punishment (as he deserved).??What I'm saying is that Aries punishment seems much too harsh for what he did.??Just because he was manipulated into doing it doesn't mean he should get a free ride out of it.??He should be punished for what he actually did or maybe a slight bit less because he was pressured into it.??The punishment he actually got was 'technically' not as bad but for all intents and purposes it WAS just as bad as what Amil got.??(This goes for the other two as well)

GM-Ayu Wrote:
Kadar Wrote:
GM-Pandora Wrote:Sure the responsibility is partly Amil's and he got all his accounts + IP ban + not allowed back treatment for it, while aries, death note and the other one who's name I forget got 1 account banned each.

So while Amil was kicked off the server outright, Aries was told that he CAN STAY if he really really wants to but you don't want him around.??If you're going to start over on a server you might as well do it on one where the GMs aren't watching to see if you slip up again so they can ban you for good.??You didn't honestly give him that punishment expecting him to play here anymore did you?

I fail to understand why the concept of account banning is treated as to allow a player to stay on a server with strings attached. If GMs are to be obnoxious and waiting for every excuse to pick on a player to leave, then GMs can easily do it be it an account ban, mute+jail or whatever the first punishment is. So first of all, I don' see how the particular punishment we picked have any correlation to setting up a trap for him to come back just to "ban him completely next time."

What the GMs did to Jason (and Silv for that matter) was letting them stay on the server with strings attached.??As Admiral Ackbar so perfectly put it, "It's a TRAP!"??Regardless of if you said it or not Aries would be put in that same category wouldn't he???That's how the GM team worked in the past at least.??It's stupid and silly but it's how things were run.??Are you now saying that if Aries did something minor he would only be punished for that minor incident and it would not be compounded because of previous infractions???If that IS in fact the case then bravo to the GM team for cleaning up their act.??I guess we'll have to wait until the next bowl of drama.

GM-Ayu Wrote:
Kadar Wrote:Look at all of the terrible things Jason did:

All of those disrespectful and hateful comments toward players and Jason still got to keep his characters if he apologized and waited.??He obviously wouldn't do that because for all intents and purposes you would be out to get him from then on.??Just like Aries probably wouldn't come back under the same circumstances.??The fact remains though that you pretty much forced Aries to leave.

From the looks of what transpired you were sick of people being disrespectful and wanted to crackdown with a sentence more harsh than usual.

I actually think that your quote on what happened to Jason half a year ago, compare to what happened in this case, is a sign of an improved ability in decision making for the GM team.

Jason's case was half a year ago. 2 of our GMs were not a GM. I was an intern where I mostly observed only. Half a year compare to the server's 3 year old is 1/6 of the server's life span. LOTS have changed, including the GM. I think that we all quoted on Jason's old punishment as most of us are rather dissatisfied with the poor ability on the GMs part on handling that ancient drama scenario. Hesitation to action along with being held threatened of drama outbreak because of a predicted unwelcoming punishment left everyone rather disappointed and upset against the GM. It was rather weak, and far too late. There are those who left because they find the GMs' ability to decision making to be poor and inexperienced, and those who stay didn't feel exactly happy either. Server took a huge 30% population cut.

And thus why, GM team has switched from an emphasis on particularism to universalism (may or may not appeal to all players, but I think that overall the pros outweigh the cons of this change.) GM team is more organized now in establishing records of all players when it comes to punishment, so we can easily refer to similar old cases in order to be consistent. Some rules are changed and updated (sadly at the cost of the phonebook of rules expanding even more most of the time). These changes obviously include the magnitude of punishment as well.

What judgment was like half a year ago, won't be the same now after april and may GM-Aki and GM-Pandora did a major administrative cleanup. Remember the time when half a year ago, a password change in heRO will take a super sluggish 2-3 months to finally get it done. Improvement to administration, because of GMing experience with new blood into the GM team to give senior GMs a hand, changed to be as quick as a week for password changes latest, and now control panel is back for immediate changes without GM interferences. Half a year ago I'm only an intern and was inconsistent in ruling (too strict/lax), constantly flip-flopped, and even had a period of time where GM-Loki took over my duties because of the inadequate level of performance from me. However, I'm quite confident to say that I'm a much more experienced GM now than before. Citing Jason's old case to use as comparison how the punishment against Aries is rather moot. Times have long changed from back then.

GMs are now much more determined to face unpopular yet necessary rulings, such as the case against recent 'well loved' player like Sthephio and Aries. Rather than giving leeway like with Jason in the past out of fear of drama and unpopularity, GMs give the proper and fitting punishment as soon as the event occurred (rather than dragging it on for months.)

I'm glad we get an honest look at the GM team.??If you can see the problem you can fix it.??Perhaps you will eventually become the GM team everyone gives you credit for.

GM-Ayu Wrote:It is less about who told Aries to do what he did, or who he said those comments to. The main points that led the vast majority of the GM teams (not GM-Pandora alone), myself included, are:

-He committed the crime while being fully knowledgeable that it is against server rules (chat log has Aries saying how it is wrong to do so in the beginning)
-He committed the crime under the context where the entire server voiced out their pleads, and thus reminded Aries, that he is committing a huge mistake (everyone on @main can testify that numerous people called for people to shun Amil Gaul and resist his deals)
-He attempted to hide his identity with a new character, showing full intention to do what he did (he created a new character for the sole mission to say what he said) with planning, trying to please both the manipulator and escape the punishment from the GMs as well

The general rule (with some exceptions, though this case isn't one of them) is that punishments are directly related to the crime as much as possible. Those who spam, is muted so they cannot talk anymore. Those who sacrificed other player's playing experience for their own entertainment, has their playing time in heRO limited by jailing, and so on.

Aries tried to get a head start caving in to Amil Gaul's bribes, (and Aries intentionally doing it on a new account to try to protect his own character safe while receiving full benefits as well). Therefore, we take his account so that his attempt to protect himself by hiding will fail, he is far set back than the supposed forward boost in heRO. This same punishment is carried out not unique to Aries but for everyone else within this scenario.

Those who spam are muted so he should be muted for spamming.??Those who ruin the playing experience of other players get jailed.??He said mean things on @main so those players had their playing experience lessened.??Fine jail him for that.??Those who try to avoid a lesser punishment recieve a much worse punishment.??Ok fine double the length of his punishments then.??Or ban all of his accounts FOR A DURATION so he can't play.??The punishment he got for trying to dodge the mute/jail would make him quit the server and I'm sure the GM team wasn't so naive as to think otherwise.

Was he really banned because he tried to dodge his punishment?
Did all three of the players who were bribed make new accounts to try and protect themselves or would you have banned them all regardless of if any of them tried to dodge the punishment or not?

GM-Ayu Wrote:On the contrary, I'll rather ask a question to the players instead of only defending our position when GMs are doubted:

Are we having doubts in a particular case because of *what* the GM's decisions are, or is it the*who* on the receiving end of the GM's decisions that's causing all the ruckus?

There are well constructed arguments of doubts and questioning to the GM's severity (like some of the posts in this thread, which we welcome) about the recent scenarios, and there's also wild accusation to me for a in-game PM that some players believed how this is the GM's own doing for not being active enough (and how we should've been online to stop Aries and somehow it's part of our responsibility...?). Everyone chose to defend the place of particular players, when there's other players who has the same magnitude of punishment, yet that's perfectly fine for those people? Very, very few people brought up the fact that Aries indeed apologized and therefore is worth reconsidering the punishment against him, if it should be lighter than everyone else (which we took into account already.)

Quote:In doing so [GMs] got [their] own feelings mixed up in it which comes across as vindictive and unprofessional.

Likewise, aren't a small part of the playerbase in 2 recent occurrences with 'famous players' mixed their own feelings, especially personal ties and friendshiop, in their logical analysis of GMs decisions and is insisting that the fault is on the GMs because of the 'who' that is involved? I ask that while GMs will try their best and be accountable to players by keeping out biased opinions/decisions, players will also judge the GMs with total fairness and impartiality. This relationship to look after each other works both ways. Players make suggestions and raise questions to keep GMs in check by requesting fairness in judgment, while GMs also need the players to be rid of biased emotional judgments to help in maintaining server rules and order.

If it were a player I didn't like or a player I didn't know I probably wouldn't take so much time making my posts.??I would still argue on their behalf because this 'case' is going to be used as a reference in the future when similar matters arise.??When that happens I want to make sure people think very clearly about the matter.

GM-Ayu Wrote:There are lessons to be learned for both sides. GMs understand that players worry more when GMs decide on irreversible punishment in case if GMs make a mistake, and will much more prefer a ceasing of playing priviledges regardless of time limit, even up to 2-3 months in some suggestions. Players also have to understand and accept that rules ought to be followed even when GMs are absent on the scene, and one looks out for another keeping each other accountable by reminding each other to respect the server rules to keep heRO server a great place to play on.

+1 above quote

[Image: combinedoodlesigiq6.gif][Image: siromafinished1ln0.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2008 02:27 PM by Kadar.)
10-16-2008 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
Apologizes to the server - Aries - 09-19-2008, 02:20 PM
RE: Apologizes to the server - Aaronock - 09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
RE: Apologizes to the server - GM-Pandora - 09-19-2008, 04:10 PM
RE: Apologizes to the server - Vin15 - 09-22-2008, 04:35 PM
RE: Apologizes to the server - Pyronic - 09-30-2008, 12:58 AM
RE: Apologizes to the server - Yuriohs - 09-30-2008, 01:07 AM
RE:??Apologizes to the server - Yuriohs - 09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
RE: Apologizes to the server - GM-Ayu - 09-30-2008, 01:15 AM