Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How fast is the speed of dark?
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

RE: How fast is the speed of dark?

From someone who considered majoring in astrophysics, I think you'd enjoy the intro level classes at least. The more advanced stuff is pretty out there (literally and figuratively), but intro stuff at least where I went was relatively fun and not so difficult.

Again, speed of dark does not exist, heh. It is pretty cool, though, that scientists can slow down light to the point where we can watch it moving /rice.

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
02-09-2008 03:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Force-Attuned Krogoth Offline
Jack of All Trades

Dark has no speed, it's the natural state. Unless an electron is emitting or absorbing a photon, it's not in a state of light. Given that the duration of this phenomenon is so short as to be immeasurable, then it's well below negligible on the scales we can directly observe. What this means is, as far as you and I are concerned, everything is constantly in total darkness, and asking the speed of dark is just absurd.

Kroggles ensures the living stay living, and the dead stay dead.
Clobberella beats you up.
Teela Brown has a birdie!
Flosshilde communes with the very souls of the damned.
Walsung is actually pretty cool. For a guy made of metal.
02-09-2008 03:51 AM
zanias Offline
It was in our own hearts, all of us.

The actual debate from me and my friend. He started it with titties, sorry, lol.

He said titties. What's the speed of darkness?

I don't know.... well... Light is somethine that is made, so darkness is... infinet... right? So darkness is infinetly faster than light.

Not even close, but you're thinking. Since Darkness is the absent of light, darkness has to move the same speed as light, in order to fill those empty voids without light.

Nah. my friend here says that the speed of darkness is about 15 mpr. Because it takes 15 hours for it to get dark here.

Well, when you turn off a light, it goes instantly dark, you don't see this black cloud going 15 mph attempting to fill up the empty area where light used to be.

No no no. I turn off the lights and the sun spills throught the peep hole to my room. I tried... We have to wait for the sun to go away before it turns dark here.

But it did get darker as soon as you turned off the lights.

but not completely dark... is this some kindsa trick question?

No it's not a trick question. But there is still darkness. It's not complete, utter darkness, but it's darkness. There is an absent of light though.

But there's still light.

Yes, but it's not completely lit up. Without your light being on, or the sun being out, there will be darkness. Darkness is just the absence of light, whether it's 100% or not.

Yeah.. but you can't rightfully judge the speed of dark unless it's pitch black.

Yes you can. Just admit it. The speed of darkness HAS TO equal the speed of light, otherwise there'd be a gap when you turned off a light in a sealed off room.

either that or my original theory was right.

Darkness is everywhere. Turn off a light. There it is. Turn on the light. There it goes. Darkness is anti-light, it's just as fast. If you're original theory was right, then it'd take 15 hours for it to become dark after I turn off my light. There is no such thing as half-light or whatever you'd call the stage between light and darkness.

Uhhh... no.. that darkness is infanently faster than light, meaning that it's entirely dark all the time. meaning that only the speed of light can be measured.

But in theory, darkness speed = speed of light. Since most physicists, astronomers, and such, believe nothing is faster than light.

Yeah. Also, most mathemeticians, physisysts and such say that you can't devide 0. But it could be theoretically possable. Same could be said about darkness. You say that darkness is the absence of light, but it seems to me that darkness is always there. This can be proven, right now. Look at the corner's of your wall. They're dark, right? Or the shadow from your dresser. Even though there's light, the dark is always there. So, theoretically, darkness could be infanently faster than light.

Maybe. but darkness is at least the speed of light. You can divide by 0, but only if it's a temperature.

Lol. That's kinda funny cuz I saw a theory online sayint that light vs. dark was compareable to hot vs. cold. The idea that cold is always there, but it takes a reaction to create heat. Just like dark is always there, but takes a reaction to make light. It works.

Yeah. That's pretty good. But dividing by zero... possible.

Lol, alright.

[Image: 30086811_2135620823427028_3680913343494750208_n.jpg]
02-09-2008 04:12 AM
Sephiroth! Offline
One Winged Angel

I don't get the dividing by zero part.

Virkun- 98/69 Professor
Rhyzu- 93/50 Crusader
Arthion- 93/63 High Priest
Michael Jackson- 77/50 Bard
Stuntin'- 80/** Monk
02-09-2008 11:00 AM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

lol wtf?

its been said already but dark has no speed. if you had to put a speed on darkness it would be infinitely faster than the speed of light.
smart people Wrote:Uhhh... no.. that darkness is infanently faster than light, meaning that it's entirely dark all the time. meaning that only the speed of light can be measured.

But in theory, darkness speed = speed of light. Since most physicists, astronomers, and such, believe nothing is faster than light.

no. in theory darkness is infinite. you meant in practice, its limited by the fastest thing which is light. light is like an old grandma driving and dark is waiting to pass her.

since darkness is the absence of light, if you found a way to instantly remove light i think you would find that darkness is much faster than light Icon_smile (instant).
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2008 05:17 PM by teOx.)
02-09-2008 05:16 PM
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

azurerogue Wrote:Again, speed of dark does not exist, heh. It is pretty cool, though, that scientists can slow down light to the point where we can watch it moving /rice.

The speed of light is constant, but we can "fake" slowing it by making a path looking to something like this

/\/\/\/\/->

The horizontal speed of the light get lowered because the light have to go up and down instead of straight.

All physical mater by wich light goes trought slower it, can it be water, glass or air or whatever because the light doesnt move as a straight line except in perfect vacuum. The path of the light is curved by the gravity of each object and even small atoms.

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
02-09-2008 07:49 PM
Force-Attuned Krogoth Offline
Jack of All Trades

teOx Wrote:lol wtf?

its been said already but dark has no speed. if you had to put a speed on darkness it would be infinitely faster than the speed of light.
smart people Wrote:Uhhh... no.. that darkness is infanently faster than light, meaning that it's entirely dark all the time. meaning that only the speed of light can be measured.

no. in theory darkness is infinite. you meant in practice, its limited by the fastest thing which is light. light is like an old grandma driving and dark is waiting to pass her.

since darkness is the absence of light, if you found a way to instantly remove light i think you would find that darkness is much faster than light Icon_smile (instant).
The thing is, light is meaningless unless it's interacting with something. Want an easy example, shine a pointer at a wall. Unless you're a heavy smoker, you'll see the spot on the wall, but not the beam the spot and your hand. Thus, an object is only "lit up" when it's emitting or absorbing a photon. This is an infinitesimally short process compared to the time between photons coming or going. You may say that it doesn't look very dark, that's because your brain is editing it out. You see the average over a (quantum mechanically speaking) very long time, with the boring parts (i.e. no photons coming in) left out. But overall, if we're looking at this quantitatively, which we must if we're trying to find a speed, "darkness" is a completely meaningless word. If you measure "brightness" by photons per area per time, then you've got the whole realm of possibility covered. And using this definition of brightness, the speed of change of brightness has nothing to do with the speed of light, merely the changes in the emitter. It can be arbitrarily fast, go from 0 to 60 in the length of a photon. Or, if we set up a spinning laser in a very large circular room, the spot of brightness can be made to move arbitrarily fast, speed of light be damned.

Kroggles ensures the living stay living, and the dead stay dead.
Clobberella beats you up.
Teela Brown has a birdie!
Flosshilde communes with the very souls of the damned.
Walsung is actually pretty cool. For a guy made of metal.
02-09-2008 08:52 PM
Cloudy-Chan Offline
Cloudy Kawaii Manga Drawer!

What a weird thing to bring up x,.,x

[Image: 2zi21py.gif]
02-09-2008 11:48 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

RE:?? How fast is the speed of dark?

Force-Attuned Krogoth Wrote:
teOx Wrote:lol wtf?

The thing is, light is meaningless unless it's interacting with something.??Want an easy example, shine a pointer at a wall.??Unless you're a heavy smoker, you'll see the spot on the wall, but not the beam the spot and your hand.??Thus, an object is only "lit up" when it's emitting or absorbing a photon.??This is an infinitesimally short process compared to the time between photons coming or going.??You may say that it doesn't look very dark, that's because your brain is editing it out.??You see the average over a (quantum mechanically speaking) very long time, with the boring parts (i.e. no photons coming in) left out.??But overall, if we're looking at this quantitatively, which we must if we're trying to find a speed, "darkness" is a completely meaningless word.??If you measure "brightness" by photons per area per time, then you've got the whole realm of possibility covered.??And using this definition of brightness, the speed of change of brightness has nothing to do with the speed of light, merely the changes in the emitter.??It can be arbitrarily fast, go from 0 to 60 in the length of a photon.??Or, if we set up a spinning laser in a very large circular room, the spot of brightness can be made to move arbitrarily fast, speed of light be damned.

damn thats a really really good point Icon_suprised
02-10-2008 02:32 AM
Flossy Offline
Falathiel of Fate

I didn't read any of the other post besides the first one so...

Darkness is the ABSENCE of Light, So that means when you turn on a light in a dark room, it illuminates. Now when you shut off the light, the light is retracting and the darkness did not move

Darkness does not move, its always present and light is placed on top of it.

Basically think of your table as the darkness, and a table cloth as the light, when you pull the table cloth off, the table itself (darkness) doesn't move.

>_> And btw

YOU CANNOT DIVIDE BY ZERO !!!

10 / 5 = 2??Because 5 * 2 = 10

10 / 0 = x?? Would mean that 0 * x = 10

And as we know Whats anything Multiplied by 0 ?

ZERO

[Image: flossysig1ak1.jpg]
Flossy - The Real Meaning

Word used to define someone who is really intelligent but a bit stupid or an airhead.
A "Flossy" would say "I have a Phd in Math....do you think we can sit on chairs underwater ?"
Or
"My IQ is 160, But i think red cars are faster than blue ones"
^ WHAT !! Thats BS~!!! Blue cars are FASTER !!~~~~~!!!~~
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2008 11:42 AM by Flossy.)
02-10-2008 11:23 AM