Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dubs vs Subs
Kadar Offline
Cheese is WoE

RE: Dubs vs Subs

Weeaboo 'syndrome' is so annoying.

Subs are almost always better than dubs. Recently Funimation has been doing a good job. The Ouran Dub was actually pretty good.

As far as fansubs go I like all of the extra cultural information that good subbing groups have. Or the fact that they will translate background elements as well. Fansubbers do a great job and I love that they make anime a lot more accessible. I wouldn't have seen a lot of series if not for fansubs.

If you ever get the chance to attend a panel by Greg Ayres on fansubbing I recommend you do so. Because the fact is that yes, fansubbing is a major reason that the anime industry is dieing. Both the japanese market and the american market. A lot of shows don't even get a chance to be made unless they can sell licenses before they go into production. For all of the wonderful things that fansubs give us you can't deny that it's infringement of copyright law. There is also a much lesser incentive for people in the anime industry to produce new series when a large portion of their potential profits are disappearing. There are some lesser benefits to fansubs and I know that I personally am not going to stop watching them, but don't think for a second that the industry is not hurt by them.

[Image: combinedoodlesigiq6.gif][Image: siromafinished1ln0.png]
06-03-2009 05:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lemonlimesoap Offline

RE:??Dubs vs Subs

GM-Ayu Wrote:The only other scenario when you want to watch it dub is because it is so bad that it is hilarious~

i wonder how they would translate uguu in english or just keep it the same XD

AntiHydrogen - Agi Knight lvl 80-??/??
TwilightZone - Thief (Crit Sin) lvl 43/??
DarkMatter - Quick Spell Ninja lvl 20-??/??
others still novice
06-03-2009 05:29 PM
GM-Aki Offline
Posting Freak

Uguu~ ? I thought that was the english version?

The Cake is a Lie

heRO Wiki | Support Ticket | Vote for HeRO | Review heRO
06-03-2009 05:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lemonlimesoap Offline

Kadar Wrote:Weeaboo 'syndrome' is so annoying.

Subs are almost always better than dubs. Recently Funimation has been doing a good job. The Ouran Dub was actually pretty good.

As far as fansubs go I like all of the extra cultural information that good subbing groups have. Or the fact that they will translate background elements as well. Fansubbers do a great job and I love that they make anime a lot more accessible. I wouldn't have seen a lot of series if not for fansubs.

If you ever get the chance to attend a panel by Greg Ayres on fansubbing I recommend you do so. Because the fact is that yes, fansubbing is a major reason that the anime industry is dieing. Both the japanese market and the american market. A lot of shows don't even get a chance to be made unless they can sell licenses before they go into production. For all of the wonderful things that fansubs give us you can't deny that it's infringement of copyright law. There is also a much lesser incentive for people in the anime industry to produce new series when a large portion of their potential profits are disappearing. There are some lesser benefits to fansubs and I know that I personally am not going to stop watching them, but don't think for a second that the industry is not hurt by them.

I understand but I look at it though a different perspective, saying that most animes don't get a chance because they can't sell a license is like saying thats the bare minimum for an anime to go into production, while we already have so many bad to mediocre animes coming out already.

See it as an requirement that the anime either has to excel in story, character design, originality, a combination or all those together. Some might see that as too high of a standard but the show has to be at least decent enough to go into production without licensing.

Any company is willing to fund a story that is presented well. A lot of animes start out as mangas and if it grows enough popularity in japan it will be funded. You can't blame scanlations in japan cause any and all scans that are hosted in japan are removed. We get raws sent from a source in japan which is then translated, distributed and hosted some where the government could give a rats ass. So in conclusion, yes japanese companies are losing money, I never denied but I say that it isn't hurting them. Subbing groups are hurting the japanese industry the same way a person with seepa gets pricked in the finger. (okay that metaphor might be a little extreme, still its so insignificant in how they are hurting them it might as well be nonexistent)

This does not stop them from complaining though, cause well they are a company and they do wish to make gratuitous amounts of money which isn't a bad thing but they still have enough to be rich mutha fuckas. If they really wanted to stop losing money they would start showing animes subbed on tv cutting out the us industry leaving it to die equaling supar profits.

others still novice
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2009 06:30 PM by lemonlimesoap.)
06-03-2009 06:00 PM
lemonlimesoap Offline

GM-Aki Wrote:Uguu~ ? I thought that was the english version?

wait they made a kanon dub?......fail

others still novice
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2009 06:11 PM by lemonlimesoap.)
06-03-2009 06:07 PM
Static Offline
Lightning Spearmen Master Chief

Dubs are fail!!!! BELIEVE IT!!!

[Image: signature4marrycopy-2.png]
06-03-2009 07:06 PM
lemonlimesoap Offline

I know this will spark up a lot of hate towards me but... -__- I despised naruto dubbed and subbed. Either way its just filler up the wahzoo, but im not a "there has to be a cheesy crappy moral backing or lesson at the end of every story or arc" kind of guy. At least not at the conclusion every fucking time.

If there has to be some kind of moral lesson can it be a little less generic and boring. Also the 2 min. fight scenes that either switch out to something relatively less interesting or a flash back OR a really long internal monologue about absolutely nothing gets ridiculously annoying.

Well thats just my opinion, I guess its a matter of taste thing. But I seem to hate most main stream animes so I probably need to be locked up in a cage and thrown to the bottom of a well alone to brood on about how I hate weeaboos cursed to live forever in a purgatory.

Oh and I already said its a matter of taste sort of thing so if you're going to reply make it more thought out than "durrp durrp your a baaakaaa~ naruto is teh bester animu evar". Cause really im not going to respond.

others still novice
06-04-2009 02:46 AM
Former-GM-Mystra Offline
Posting Freak

Another thing that made me "laugh" was also with Sailor Moon:

Sub = Fisheye is actually a male homosexual transvestite.
Dub = It's a girl.

Always watch animes in original languages. Most of the time when dubed, they mess the story to be morally accepted by the ignorant mass with small barriers.

~ RMS ~ Top 100 ~ Top 200 ~ Vote Daily!!
[Image: Mystrad.jpg]
~ Support Tickets ~
06-04-2009 03:39 AM
Kadar Offline
Cheese is WoE

RE: ??Dubs vs Subs

lemonlimesoap Wrote:I understand but I look at it though a different perspective, saying that most animes don't get a chance because they can't sell a license is like saying thats the bare minimum for an anime to go into production, while we already have so many bad to mediocre animes coming out already.

See it as an requirement that the anime either has to excel in story, character design, originality, a combination or all those together. Some might see that as too high of a standard but the show has to be at least decent enough to go into production without licensing.

Any company is willing to fund a story that is presented well. A lot of animes start out as mangas and if it grows enough popularity in japan it will be funded. You can't blame scanlations in japan cause any and all scans that are hosted in japan are removed. We get raws sent from a source in japan which is then translated, distributed and hosted some where the government could give a rats ass. So in conclusion, yes japanese companies are losing money, I never denied but I say that it isn't hurting them. Subbing groups are hurting the japanese industry the same way a person with seepa gets pricked in the finger. (okay that metaphor might be a little extreme, still its so insignificant in how they are hurting them it might as well be nonexistent)

This does not stop them from complaining though, cause well they are a company and they do wish to make gratuitous amounts of money which isn't a bad thing but they still have enough to be rich mutha fuckas. If they really wanted to stop losing money they would start showing animes subbed on tv cutting out the us industry leaving it to die equaling supar profits.

You assume too much. You don't know how the anime industry works. Go do some basic research on the subject or even better go talk to someone in the industry.

[Image: combinedoodlesigiq6.gif][Image: siromafinished1ln0.png]
06-04-2009 12:59 PM
Cheesecake Offline
The Tasty Trap

I think you should atleast chalk it up to the Dubbers, because for places outside of Japan's case, most of you would not know/watch anime if it wasnt for some of those horrible dubs. Most of you probably have seen your first anime in dub form, and the art style and in depth character relacted storyline compelled you to watch further. The voice acting in my opinion is completely void if the dub is bad, and I tend to just focus on the scenery, story-line and other things.

I do prefer subtitles, though, in their original form they are much easier to understand since they follow the ORIGINAL intend of the show, but keep in mind who brought it to you. Like I said before, without most of the dubs that ADV, Funi, Geneon, US Manga, Ocean Group etc have produced, they bring you series and allow you to get into the story and have the desire to see its sub, to get a feel for how it 'should' be.

To its profit though, not all dubs are bad. Full Metal Alchemist, Noir, Eva, Tsukihime, Scrapped Princess, Angelic Layer, Kaleidostar and .hack had very well put together dubs in my humble opinion, as did Ranma 1/2 and Hellsing. I stand by Utawarerumono, Haruhi, Higurashi no naku koro ni, Kanon, Air, Eureka 7, Karin and MANY MANY others as having severely superior original sub versions.. and even FMA through Hellsing, some if not all of them had similar if not superior subs.

So my opinion stands as Subs being superior, but I appreciate the efforts and the hand the dubbers had in giving Anime to a more mainstream audience.

Oh and PS

ANIME Is the plural form. It isn't ANIMES and you all look retarded when you pluralise it. It's like saying "I need to cut all your hairs."

Also, ADV is said to be dead by next year, Anime industry in america will be dead in 2 years max.

[Image: 35iqbyd.png]
Cheesecake 93/99 SuperNovice | Hell 7x/4x Hybrid Hunter
Milkshake 7x/4x Knight | Lein 7x/4x Priest | Mystia 8x/5x Monk

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2009 05:21 PM by Cheesecake.)
06-04-2009 05:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply