Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help for an old RO fan
Kuipo Offline

RE: Help for an old RO fan

Oh I forgot about the old trap change. So should I get beast bane then?
11-24-2009 04:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

the cheapest way for hunters to kill hill winds is to get an earthen bow[1] and slot a mandragora in it... get 90 base dex and you're set...

much much cheaper than the archer set... though you might have to buy that brute exp card too...

-w-
11-24-2009 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

Archer combo's strength comes from coma effect on Cornus which will save lives because cornus is that annoying for a sniper otherwise... but that's way, way into the future. Coma doesn't give exp, and again its component is rather pricy.

Earthern Bow is probably the next elemental bow to get after burning bow, but you'll see that the price of that one jumps dramatically compare to burning at 1 mil instead.

*note: in case you are wondering if the new elemental bows (bows that combo with their elemental arrow) are better than old composite bow with 4 cards against one particular element... elemental bows with the proper card are only better than composite bows at +8 or higher. At +6 or +7, they are around the same. Lower than +6, the composite bow with 4 proper cards are better. Keep that in mind as you value which is cheaper to get: sometimes it's cheaper to hunt the comp bow, then buy 4 cards than the elemental bow (especially, the freezing bow vs quad vadon. You'll find 4 vadons to be cheaper than the one single unrefined freezing bow.)

11-24-2009 11:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

who would get the comp bows without making sure to +10 them? Are we assuming they're all +10 comps?

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
11-25-2009 12:00 AM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

+8 compare to +10, your dmg difference with DS is ~40 only. Assume true sight and any other "atk bonus" will amplify it by 50%, so whoopie now it's 60 dmg difference.

Difference is honestly neglectable. It's not anything big like orc archer bow where a +4 vs a +7, I'm doing 500 extra dmg with the +7.

11-25-2009 12:09 AM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

come now Ayu... freezing bows are going for about 5m nowadays (sure supply is limited, but that's another issue as making an SL just to hunt them shouldn't be too hard to do) while vadon cards (used to go for 6) but since kasas have reflect they go for around 4m each...

and at 400-500k per comp bow, a +10 comp bow[4] would go for more than 3m and supply is also really limited... but again getting a +10 comp bow would still be more trouble than getting a +5 freezing bow... i happen to have made a +5 vadon freezing bow for my wife, but she doesn't use it enough so currently a sniper friend uses it to solo Thors and it works quite well he says...

and most +% elemental cards (mandragora, drainliar) seem to go for 2m ea while kaho is about 3m... with earthen bows going for around 1m ea, burning bows around 100-200k ea and gale bows for around 3-5m ea, i think using the elemental bows are better than comp bows...

i'd still say get a +8 or +9 burning bow and earthen bow (as they are easy to get and relatively cheap) then slot them with the appropriate cards but leave the gale and freezing bows at +5...

-w-
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2009 01:46 AM by mahawirasd.)
11-25-2009 01:33 AM
Ultima_Pi Offline
Queen Bitch of the Universe

Kuipo Wrote:Here are some of the questions I have:
  • Where should I be leveling? Currently I'm still pecking away at geographers because they are so easy and mindless, plus without any cards or plused out gear, I take a lot of hits, for pretty big numbers...
  • The gear I should be focusing on at the moment. This is what I think I should be getting:
    • Arbalest[2] - I'm not sure what cards to put in it though... What's good these days?
    • Muffler[1] - Whisper card?
    • Tights[1] - No clue what card these days...
    • Boots[1] - No clue what card these days...
    • Brooches or Gloves? Should I aim for the non-slotted ones first then work up to the slotted ones when I get the cards?

In no real order:
GH Pris 1, Silver, take the Rybios with BB if you have the SP.

GH Sewers, Fire / Earth, you can pick up Earth from Stings to kill off the Gargoyles

Mosco 3, Wind / Fire, watch out for mobs

Gonryun 1, Fire / Earth, the Bears have low enough HP that it won't matter if you use Silver or not

Biolabs 2, Neutral / Immat, you can hit everything with neutral, but it's faster to take out the mage with Immats, be aware that there's a SinX down there, usually cloaked

------

Arb[2] if you know what you're doing. Elemental bows (Burning, Freezing, Gale, Earthen) are extraordinarily useful. OAB is useful for those things without elemental weakness, but if you have an Endow from Sage or converters, it's better than Elemental bows.

Dragontail for DS spam, Bapho Jr for pure speed, Whisper for dodge. What you put it in actually doesn't matter, until you have some money anyways.

Tights are still good if you've incorporated the Dex into your build. You can move off to other non-class specific armors once you have the money.

Same as Tights for shoe. You have a better variety of Agi shoe gear this around, Fricco's Shoes, Black Leather Boots, but they'll cost you a bit.

You're not 90, so slot isn't an issue. Brooches for speed / dodge, Glove for bonus damage.

Archer card combo is decent while you're on your way to end-game gears. I never personally liked it, because it didn't fit my play style.

-----

Race and elemental cards are still the name of the game. Get them, and watch things die.

Marivel, Sidewinder - 99 Lady Sniper
Melody Vilente - 99 High Priestess
Yuugi Hoshiguma - 99 Champion

Gojira Wrote:Your keyboards aren't lightsabers bros...
11-25-2009 09:33 AM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

RE:??Help for an old RO fan

mahawirasd Wrote:(sure supply is limited, but that's another issue as making an SL just to hunt them shouldn't be too hard to do) while vadon cards (used to go for 6)

What is easier for a new player... hunting a monster that have no gear requirement, or hunting a monster that requires specific character and build on top of it? Hunting gazeti, you need your SL to have phen card, which you are adding cost indirectly to the build. Nothing good drops out of ID except the bow itself, while vadon is inside a world where *every* card is useful one way or another. Got unlucky and grabbed a card off something else in the dungeon? No problem at all! It'll sell or be of direct usefulness.

Quote:and at 400-500k per comp bow,

or you go for a 0.75% drop with instant respawn with 10 of them critters together, again something that requires no gear specifications to hunt.

Quote:a +10 comp bow[4] would go for more than 3m

heRO market laziness in full force here ._.; *points to the above* Maybe even head into the comp bow hunting business for some easy zeny, lol.

Quote:but again getting a +10 comp bow would still be more trouble than getting a +5 freezing bow...

I'm pretty sure that getting 12 different composite bow is probably easier than getting something with a card-like rarity from a relatively difficult monsters without any easy, campable, good spawn point...

While you can argue that elemental cards, still being the rage in current days, they are at the very least available and accessible on market. The chance of you running into vadon on sale, is much higher than seeing a freezing bow AND hoping that no other hunter is trying to snatch it for upgrading as well. Zeny only carries you so far, because you can't buy something that's never on sale to begin with.

11-25-2009 10:27 AM