Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tempted...
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

RE: Tempted...

"we lack the testers" = we have a technical problem
"we lack the testers" != We like the idea/We do not

And you don't lack the testers. A server's owner can test it by himself by visiting involved maps and changing the day of the week in the settings.

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
05-03-2010 03:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Former-GM-Circe Offline
Thank you, all. <3

I'm getting a feeling you didn't read my post.

GM-Circe Wrote:If you are part of the T&D, you'll have noticed that testers post the bugs/problems they find in the thread. Sometimes, there will be 3 posts from different people, all for the same quest, with different issues. Why? Because not everyone thinks of every way to test a script in every single way.

And we'll leave it at that.

Gone! Thanks for the memories.
<333

05-03-2010 03:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

Different types of script need different types of tests.??You are going the long way for everything but some things don't need to be done that way (the mining update that I used as an exemple earlier).??Did you read it???
I understand how the T&D work and I'm suggesting an improvement, yet you just repeat how it works.??
And you still haven't answered the question...

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2010 04:16 AM by Général_Argos.)
05-03-2010 04:15 AM
Revenant Offline
Shadow of Nobody

Simple fact is the longer and more complex a script is, the more possible issues can arise from it (Naturally). If it's something mundane like syntax error, your map-server will scream and whine like a baby until you fix it;??something such as a misnamed label will not be recorded.

If a variable is saved and it pertains to a party/guild/group, it might close off part of a quest too prematurely or halt progress entirely. If you forgot to set the 'quest complete' variable before giving out the reward, some smartass can abuse it and give himself billions of items/levels.

Hell, you might just be working on something at 2am and relentlessly rape the English language by accident, and everyone will see that when they're trying to talk to an NPC about allegiance and they start spamming 1337 instead of something comprehensible.

There's just a hell of a lot of ways that things can go wrong in scripting, which is why mass-testing is required. It's why kRO has two seperate servers, one solely for testing new content months before it's implemented onto the live server - And why heRO has two, too (Though we only use 1 client and 1 GRF as opposed to 2).

Edit 1:

That said... there are SOME measures that can be taken for testing certain scripts. As a non-spoileriffic example, I've been assigned to a script that basically requires the participation of a party of 11. Instead of simply?completing the script and sending it off for testing, I'm designing it so it can be rather modular, allowing me to reduce the party number to 2 players.

This means that I only need 2 people to test it; though I will have to patch my own client for this. After that, I'm probably going to send it off to the only 2 people I'm in contact with outside of these forums, also in T&D (Aaronock & Rankin) to see if they can actually find anything wrong with it, THEN send it off to Circe for mass-testing with the full party requirement.

(??.__.) And finally prove I'm not all talk.

Edit 2:

Ngjoko Wrote:Also, back to topic, stick with HeRO, officials aren't that great and only ego hungry players play there. Something like botting the level or stuff, pay real money to get more advantage in any PvP events(please, they buy vs demi-human cards and gears), and always "I own you, noob, WKWKWKWKKKKKK....." or "You kill my Priest/Soullinker bot, i kill you".*down comes a gloria domini on to me*

Have you EVER -played- on official? That happens on every RO server. Hell, it happens more often on privates than officials, because you're not paying for an account on these servers. You tend to care less about something you're not paying a cent for.

The cash shops also do not sell cards last I checked, they merely sell consumables such as buffers or resetters which people use to fuel the MVPing, as well as rental gear which they do not keep.

I'm not pro-official. I wouldn't pay to play Ragnarok Online, as I do not think it'd be worth the money. But honestly, what you just said appears very ignorant and someone who DOES play on an official server could probably apply all of that to private servers instead.

We want YOU!.. in Testing & Development. PM GM-Circe to join.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2010 05:24 AM by Revenant.)
05-03-2010 05:07 AM
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

Thinking Well, maybe you're right. What you'd said is true, this happens more often on private servers. Still, i choose servers very carefully and i'd played on F2P servers, and they are still considered officials, and i'm not lying, they sell cards in cash shops(1 consumable, 1 rental, 1 slotted or rare gears, 1 cards) and some of the gears are kept without any time restriction, of course those aren't godly stuff, just cash or very rare stuff, but they still give a slight advantage. It's sensible though since they pay to play and all...

I think I'm finally going "home", renewal is fun, but there is really nothing like "heRO"...

Kyarorain, Shield Crusader
Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2010 06:59 AM by Ngjoko.)
05-03-2010 06:46 AM
Ultima_Pi Offline
Queen Bitch of the Universe

Then it's not a server owned by Gravity.

Gravity sells consumables, the rental gears, and a shitload of hats.

http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/kafrashop/...lllist.asp

Private servers typically sell credits, which you then redeem for cards.

Marivel, Sidewinder - 99 Lady Sniper
Melody Vilente - 99 High Priestess
Yuugi Hoshiguma - 99 Champion

Gojira Wrote:Your keyboards aren't lightsabers bros...
05-03-2010 07:19 AM
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

Well, I'm not sure about gravity, but it IS the "official indonesia ragnarok online server". and that sounds "official" enuf to me.Mad

I think I'm finally going "home", renewal is fun, but there is really nothing like "heRO"...

Kyarorain, Shield Crusader
Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
05-03-2010 07:45 AM
Ultima_Pi Offline
Queen Bitch of the Universe

Item Mall events where if you buy certain item (usually Item Mall Exclusive headgears), you may win equipments/cards, usually they are equipments/cards that are removed from the drop item list

-----

All drop items that exist in the Item Mall (including cards), and MVP cards that are used as Event Prize, as well as several equipments and non-MVP cards. However the removed cards are still available via Old Card Album.

http://irowiki.org/wiki/F2P

Well, I suppose if you want to buy a chance at a card. Then again, their website isn't coming up for me, so I can't browse their Item shop.

Also, Indonesia RO isn't run (owned?) by Gravity.

Marivel, Sidewinder - 99 Lady Sniper
Melody Vilente - 99 High Priestess
Yuugi Hoshiguma - 99 Champion

Gojira Wrote:Your keyboards aren't lightsabers bros...
05-03-2010 10:03 AM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Man someone doesn't know how a real game tester works do they?
In the real world you test every possible dumbass thing you can do to find bugs. You're asking the GM's and players to go the cheap way around testing which may cause more issues with bugs than you think.

There is a thing called Quality Assurance.
Crappy testing can lead to very bad things, and some games have been released before that you cannot finish due to a simple thing that testing would have fixed. Capcom Card Game Battle I think on the DS had this issue (though it was later fixed in a newer version of the game). However, this hurts reputation and professionalism on their part I feel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_testing

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
05-03-2010 10:12 AM
Lady Mazy Offline

Don't really see any reason to play iRO, especially since it takes more work to level. A high level server is amusing in the short-term, but I think you'd get bored of it faster.??If you're intent on a different server, I'd look for something with slightly higher rates, but not so high that you're essentially getting everything handed to you.

Where's the fun without the challenge?

And besides, you've worked hard to trans your knight.??When you get high enough, maybe we can MVP or something.??More fun than mindless grinding, yes?

Lady Mazy - High Priest 9x/6x
Mazy - Wizard
Alysia - Hunter 8x/50
Trickster - Bard
05-03-2010 12:11 PM