Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
heRO to host World Inter-server Tournament 2010
Nero Offline
Ribbity Ribbit Mc Ribbit

RE:??heRO to host World Inter-server Tournament 2010

shuning Wrote:Why can't rms just host this on their own test sever?
they are lazy?Ok

[Image: ejeglv.jpg]
Arukei Wrote:And NeRO hanging above a shark infested pool. >:c
[Image: 121dht5.jpg]
Some Things You Just Can't Explain.

Am back.... as lord of AFK
10-29-2010 12:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

RE: heRO to host World Inter-server Tournament 2010

How about, it takes more to set up the tourney other than at the Test Server which is hosted on someone's home computer? Its not meant to take hundreds upon hundreds of people on it. Also you need to make sure people cannot gain experience, cannot earn drops, and are given a certain item stash they can use as they please as a guild or some nonsense. Basically you have to make sure people stay at the intended levels and items set out in the rules, and give people time to setup with gears and whatnot beforehand. That means scripting freaking npc's, changing eA settings, and more than likely some other stuff I ain't even thought of.

Before actually saying stupid crap about the GM's, do a little more research next time. I can't believe I'm the one saying this as I've had my share of bumps with GM's but...hell even I wouldn't say so easily that they are lazy for not wanting to set this up. They really do have better things to do for our server at this time. I imagine they want to fix WoE, add in some of the new quests from T&D some time soon, and then holiday quests like our new Halloween Quest are up at this time.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
10-29-2010 09:49 AM
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

Antimind Wrote:Peeps seem to have missed the entire point of my post (or have no clue how these things work). 9 times of out 10 if a server hosts a tourney NOTHING takes place on the ACTUAL server. The host will set up a SEPERATE server and accounts are ONLY given to those participating. That server is used for team practices and the actual tournies themselves. Gears are provided from lists or npcs to each team as an equal opportunity thing. Everyone has access to the same stuff and the same restrictions on it. VERY rarely do those involved in the tourney from outside the host server ever actually check out or play on the host server... It's just about the prizes. Sometimes cash, sometimes it's something mutually agreed upon by all participants' home server GMs (gear packs, MVP cards, and the like).

The alternative is the less popular type of tourney. That one is held on the actual server and incoming teams are given gear they regularly use on their home servers. This very well could mean GMs handing MVP cards and god items that don't exist here to incoming players for a tourney.

Either option isn't very good for the server itself. At least not to draw players to play on heRO. Tournies are just good ways to get a server name out there. Unfortunately when it comes to competition for WoE and the like heRO lacks the things that do draw players. No BGs, no BG consumables, lack of donation gears, the fact that there are wings, and so on. The rates too. Most of the hardcore WoE pop has "paid their dues" grinding it out. A lot of people just aren't willing to do that much anymore. They usually play on 50x rates at lowest.

Having an incoming guild package to give ENTIRE incoming guilds basic WoE gear and supplies would prolly draw people. A lot of servers offer it now. They either have predetermined lists of things they give per guild and per member or have a "shop" set up and give each person so many credits to purchase from a list of things. Typical items are cranial valks, feather berets, x amount of hydra cards, marc, and the like. I'm pretty sure most of the population and the GMs would be against handing packages like that out to players just arriving.

Quoted the whole thing because it has SO many good suggestions as to how to improve the server's WoE scene.

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
10-29-2010 10:01 AM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

You really can't win it all.

By having a server that is 5/5/3 to begin with, people who join have a certain mentality of what they are expecting already and choose a server with appropriate rates... by doing what you said, you are probably better off starting a new server instead of forcing heRO to be something that it never tried to be for the last 5 years. It'll have a hard time to wash off certain labels, deal with players who *want* that 5/5/3 long environment, and like you said, those who are worn out from any sort of grind and prefer everything there already will probably head to a new server with high rates or everything is given by shops already. With all that in mind, you're probably better off starting a new side server for heRO or whatever if you think the GMs really ought to do those stuff.

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
10-29-2010 05:20 PM
Idiom Offline

Namine Wrote:you are probably better off starting a new server instead of forcing heRO to be something that it never tried to be for the last 5 years.

My sentiments.

Don't know why heRO suddenly needs to host a WoE tournament. Don't know how this would magically bring in people who would stay, either. Pianists don't "get their name out there" by playing the cello. Even if it did manage to work, it's not like it will last -- I'm sure there are servers out there far more WoE-centric than heRO is, so there's very little reason for them to actually stick around once the tournament would finish.

I see no reason for this whatsoever.

Ebon Ren : Rogue 8#:50
Shiro Ren : Taekwon
10-29-2010 05:35 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

Well it's not all a null point. Plenty of servers have a low rate and then another higher rate. I'm just saying that if we're really going at what Antimind is saying, better off to start a new side server for heRO to accomplish it.

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
10-29-2010 05:39 PM
Antimind Offline
Elitist Thug

Namine Wrote:You really can't win it all.

By having a server that is 5/5/3 to begin with, people who join have a certain mentality of what they are expecting already and choose a server with appropriate rates... by doing what you said, you are probably better off starting a new server instead of forcing heRO to be something that it never tried to be for the last 5 years. It'll have a hard time to wash off certain labels, deal with players who *want* that 5/5/3 long environment, and like you said, those who are worn out from any sort of grind and prefer everything there already will probably head to a new server with high rates or everything is given by shops already. With all that in mind, you're probably better off starting a new side server for heRO or whatever if you think the GMs really ought to do those stuff.

Quoted cause Namine gets it. People who join heRO join for a certain experience. People who want WoE go elsewhere for that experience. IMO from playing many servers but keeping my "home" server to here and iRO I don't think there is a way to REALLY get the population here for WoE. heRO is a great server for what it is which isn't generally a WoE server. Most of heRO's population prolly wouldn't like mixing with a WoE population. If you want good WoE you go to a server that's based around WoE or go to officials. If you want a more people friendly and different experience you come to heRO.

IMO heRO would benefit more from playing to the strengths of the server and building on that. Improving WoE and making it easier to jump in for the current population while advertising an alternative for the hardcore WoE population elsewhere. Anyone that's ever played high-tier will tell you getting burned out is natural. I came to heRO to get away from it and kick back. I play on iRO to WoE but it does wear on you quick if you've been around for a while.

Some people here have heard of my experience with renewal on iRO and in general. Even most there are unhappy with it and are leaving. They're gonna be looking for new servers to play on once they get over how butthurt they are over loosing the gear/money/time invested. They're low-rate people by nature. I'll get burned out and fed up with it all soon and will "main" on heRO more.

For the general PvM population heRO is prolly the best low-rate around. For the many social guilds and the general social dynamic it's heaven. For people like me heRO represents something entirely different. A new but not-so-different type of RO. Easier and more laid back. To me heRO is like a f***ing vacation resort of RO servers. Great place to continue playing while taking the edge off. At the same time the general carebear attitude becomes annoying to me personally after a while. I'm the type of player that does require a certain amount of douchebaggery to break the everyday boredom. That and WoE are the reasons I love iRO. It's all about the different experience. heRO GMs get what they're bringing to the table and work hard to keep it unique. They may not get where players like me are comin from but to some degree I think they do. They do try to cater to everyone while keeping a balance. There's just no way to truly cater to everyone though. If you could please everyone all the time the world would be hella boring.

THAT above all is what needs to be promoted IMO. heRO is a "safe" place to play. You won't return to find a server wipe. You will return to find everyone's still chill and not much has changed. That's not a bad thing in a world where servers change drastically and/or close everyday.

Sorry for the long post folks it's been a long day. Just there's so much people don't really get unless they've been there and have seen it from all sides. heRO opening a mid-rate prolly wouldn't help tbh. The type of player that's in it for good WoE looks for certain things heRO just doesn't offer. At the same time they try to avoid things heRO does offer.

[Image: smokies-sig.png]
10-29-2010 11:40 PM
Landon Offline
Snappin necks, Cashin Checks

I miss you Laurie :[

Hercules 97 High Priest
Shepard 99 Whitesmith
Hawk 98 Clown
Barossa 97 Professor
10-29-2010 11:53 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

@Xev (don't want to quote that entire thing lol)

Thus more the reason why I only say heRO will grow naturally if we focus on the basic stuff: events at holiday season, daily events, content updates, improved interface via client someday, having a direction of what's happening, catching up-to-date with modern MMO general practices and other general good practices.

PS: There you go circe, I specified content update and not "svn update" =P

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2010 12:35 AM by Namine.)
10-30-2010 12:33 AM
Nidsrule Offline
๏̯͡๏

Namine Wrote:@Xev (don't want to quote that entire thing lol)

Thus more the reason why I only say heRO will grow naturally if we focus on the basic stuff: events at holiday season, daily events, content updates, improved interface via client someday, having a direction of what's happening, catching up-to-date with modern MMO general practices and other general good practices instances.

[Image: orly.gif]

Namine Wrote:PS: There you go circe, I specified content update and not "svn update" =P

[Image: skip.gif]
10-30-2010 12:52 AM