Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bail for jailed characters?
Former-GM-Circe Offline
Thank you, all. <3

RE: Bail for jailed characters?

"Personal Circe's opinion that may or may not reflect the opinion of the entire team" time!
(Someone make me a jingle for these).

Jailing is a punishment. For everyone. It's not supposed to be something that richer players can get out of, simply by being rich.
The rules and punishment are also not a business, which putting up bails would potentially turn it into.
Is it worth the # zeny to block off a rival's shop by vending over the top of him?
Is it worth it to vend in the middle of the street?
How about to get that huge insult off at that people they don't like?
I'd see bail as more... almost "bribing" in order to be allowed to break the rules a few times.

In order for a bail to even be worth putting in, it would have to be "low" enough for a bunch of players to have the zeny, and consider spending the zeny, or else it's a pure waste of GMs time scripting it.
Looking at some of these players who have these amounts of zeny: One is forum banned, and a couple of others have been spoken to heavily ingame to watch their behaviour.

Gone! Thanks for the memories.
<333

01-11-2011 01:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
YushunH Offline
你好 <3

In my opinion, the jail time should be lowered. Some vendors vend in monster maps and they get jailed for 12-24 hours. Sweat A bit harsh, and I don't see anything wrong with vending in a monster map. From my previous server, vendors would vend in nameless selling flywings, yggs, potions... I found it convienent. Jailing vendors for 24 hours would sux. I don't think bailing is the right idea, but lowering the punishment time for like 5 hours would be a lot better. And yes, rules are rules, but everyone makes mistakes sometimes or maybe not even notice.
01-11-2011 01:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit Offline

My 2 cents...
If they didn't read the rules, they they have already broken them. No excuses, no way out.

It clearly states in the rules what not to do. So either they knowingly disobeyed the rules, or disregarded them. NOW with that having been said...

Some people do validly make mistakes. I know 1 person who miscounted the squares to vend by 1. An honest mistake that anyone can make. But you know what? He won't make that mistake ever again!

The point of maintaining a punishment and not letting anyone slide is two-fold. First, it teaches those who didn't mean to do something to pay more attention. Secondly, if anyone gets to slide with an excuse, EVERYONE jailed will say "I didn't see *reason*" or something similar.

No exceptions, no headaches.
01-11-2011 03:12 AM
Matrim Cauthon Jr Offline
Bipolarsexual

Or you can do what I do and ignore Bloody no matter how rich he is.

And to stay on topic:

I got 99 problems but a bail bondsman ain't one.
01-11-2011 04:22 AM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

@yusunh:
it's been discussed previously on another thread that by vending on maps with monsters it can become a loophole for several other rules.

@the notion of lowering jail time:
i agree that there should be differing regimes of punishment which increases exponentially for repeat offenders, but 12 hours for a first punishment is a bit harsh imho. I once vended too close to an NPC (warp point) by a slight technicality and missed calculation on my part. I did not do it on purpose, and i have since learned to stay as far away as possible from warp points when vending. Sure i understand that i was at fault, but still 12 hours for a first offense is a bit harsh, don't you think? So maybe tune it down to 3, 6, 12, ... for repeat offenders for NPC-range rule.

For vending OVER other people or on maps with monsters, that is somewhat a more serious offense and is most probably done on purpose and with proper forethought, so i think such cases should be punished with 12 hours even on the first offense.

just a thought though...

-w-
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 04:30 AM by mahawirasd.)
01-11-2011 04:29 AM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

IRL, I persume that the system for bail was developed because their Jails were already full and kept getting new people in, so they had to make space. In the virtual world that is RO, the same stuff happens, but space is hardly a necessity People can log off and serve the time later or AFK until their Jailtime is over.

Also, worrying about dropping the soap is less of a concern in RO jail too.

Though, I would be more inclined to shortening Jail time if there was some sort of "Correctional Program" NPC in there that makes You do a little test where you admit your guilt and say what you did wrong, And Force you to type it word per word, case sensitive. Though that'd need a few people to script it a few times, because there's more than one way to get in the slammer (though it appears the most common is vending too close to stuff). I'd think you'd have to be there for a while tho before you'd be eligible for such a program, like maybe 1 or 2 hours minimum.

Afterwards, You'll be on Paroll where??every so often you'll have to turn in such an amount of zeny or exp to a Paroll Officer NPC, or you'll get warped back to jail to spend the rest of your term + some for paroll Violation. ANother thought, Would it be possible to delevel a character?
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 05:49 AM by The Legendary Joe.)
01-11-2011 05:45 AM
Fyrus Carmin Offline
The aura is with me !

RE:??Bail for jailed characters?

The Legendary Joe Wrote:You do a little test where you admit your guilt and say what you did wrong, And Force you to type it word per word, case sensitive.

I don't know why, but it makes me think as soon as I've read it of ...

[Image: Assist_MrResetti_1190791207.jpg]

Could be fun though, but I think it should just lessen the time.

[Image: sansre5m.png]
[Image: sansre3o.png]
Quote:Note that any GM activity including monster summoning and mass carnage of players can be considered trolling (however, this can be disguised as an "event")
01-11-2011 05:50 AM
Ruon Offline

Alright, I acknowledge the fact that the system I suggested can be used by extremely rich people as bribe and the fact that they might actually engage in trollish behavior just because they're bored.

Joe's suggestion is a lot more awesome than mine anyway.

@decrease in jailtime:

Just a thought-
We're supposed to vend 3 cells (7x7) away from the NPC, IIRC.
If they're 3 cells away: 8 hours (because it could be an honest mistake)
If they're 2 cells away : 10 hours (not... so honest)
If they're 1 cell away :??12 hours (because it can't be a mistake, if it is, you deserve to get jailed).
If they're ON the NPC : 20 hours
If they're ON another player : 24 hours
If they're vending on a map with monsters : 36 hours

I wouldn't lie, yeah, I did get jailed.
I have 9 more hours in my time, was able to lop off almost, 3 hours yesterday. I think I could cut off 4 hours today.
Maybe I can start playing again the day after tomorrow.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 07:52 AM by Ruon.)
01-11-2011 07:37 AM
Frank Castle Away
The Punisher

I disagree with this suggestion. Having an option to bail will just motivate or encourage other players (unruly ones) to do more monkey business and break more rules because they know they can get away with it. Rules are rules my friend and we need to abide with these rules or else there will be consequences. So, what if we don't know the rules and we break one of it unawarely? Well, there is this quote saying..Ignorance of the law excuses no one. So, I guess it is our responsibility to know and understand what they are in the first place. :3

Oh well, just saying and sorry for the grammar. Peace. Icon_smile

"...Those who do evil to others - the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists - you will come to know me well. Frank Castle is dead. Call me The Punisher."

[Image: punisher_logo.jpg]
01-11-2011 09:49 AM
Fyrus Carmin Offline
The aura is with me !

I kinda like the hour suggestion, not severely for people that makes mistakes and more for those that just broke rules.

However, I'd like if the jailtime could be doubled if the offense is repeated.
Because you make one mistake once, not twice.

[Image: sansre5m.png]
[Image: sansre3o.png]
Quote:Note that any GM activity including monster summoning and mass carnage of players can be considered trolling (however, this can be disguised as an "event")
01-11-2011 09:58 AM