Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help and people's input on Windows 8!
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

RE: Need help and people's input on Windows 8!

Actually running your client and setup.exe as administrator is what we recommend. Otherwise they cannot save your chosen options.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
05-13-2013 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ange Offline

It is, in general, bad practice to run anything not related to system settings as administrator. Ideally, the client should have the permissions to modify files where it needs to without having permissions to modify EVERYTHING on the computer.
05-13-2013 04:29 PM
Spuznik Offline
Salamander

The client was made with XP and earlier in mind. The issue arises because the client settings set by setup.exe and read by the client are saved in HKLM which is machine wide, and requires administrator permission to alter. The solution offered by the various diff tools of the past few years has been to allow people to save client settings using HKCU which requires a different setup.exe all together. Unfortunately this can cause strange issues cross servers and leads to a lot of confusion as to which setups will and wont work with which clients. Perhaps when a new client is released it will use HKCU until then you need to run setup as administrator.

You can probably find me in game if I'm on by using @who spuz.

Other then that message me here or something, not sure how often I will check it.
05-13-2013 06:30 PM
iaMmIs3Rable Offline

Hmmm ... Why is my window 8 don't have compatibility tab in properties?

Hi, I am Ming !!!

My characters start with "iaM"s ~~~

Followed by a negative word such as, failure, nothing, pathetic and etc ...

Note: some iaM are not me, all merchie are purely vendors ...

Thank you~
05-17-2013 12:09 AM
dorkspider Offline

i have a problem, first i have win8, i open as admin, im troubleshooting with XP compatibility saved, and fullscreen

i open as admin, i enter my password and enter in my account its cool but when i log my character, to the loading 100%, often my computer freeze but sometime its correct and i can play, its really weird like problem lol XD

anyone can help me on that?

Yo yo hey o ei! People call me: Pascal, Psych. XD

Psych Encyclopedia - Fisher/Minner
Scarzam - SP Prof lvl93
05-26-2013 03:44 AM
Mhalicot Offline

Wrong Section.. This must be post in >>Help & Support

to answer the question of dorkspider.
try to this tweeks

Applicable only in Win8
Quote:go to the desktop.
hold down the windows logo key and press the R key
in the open box type in, msconfig then click on OK.

or you could simply turn on Administrative tools
and access it from the start which is now the apps window.

Then ins msconfig go to services tab check hide all Microsoft services then uncheck all unnecessary/unfamiliar running program then apply and reboot. if something went wrong just go to msconfig and click Normal startup

Or you can Install 2nd OS and make it Window 7 Icon_wink
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 03:04 AM by Mhalicot.)
06-12-2013 02:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RolandLuen Offline

Of course here is an easier fix for most of the stuff listed above, the client downloadable as the full install here has all the files you need. After it is installed before it is run Right click the icon and choose compatibility troubleshooter this gives it the ability to act like windowsXP service pack 3. You do this to the HeRO icon, and then in the folder the Setup.exe. Then on the HERO folder itself right click and go into properties choose the security tab click edit click all application packages give them full control right there since the game is heavy on modding registry for its settings, and also on the general tab uncheck the read only box, this will allow the updater to update the files correctly.

Those changes above should solve most the problems, if you haven't already at this time run your setup.exe and choose your resolution which should now show up.

Now if your on a surface Pro this is trickier the resolution due to the graphics card does not come up correct (no true update for graphics driver to off set this yet) so I unique resolution size would have to be regedited with the technique above but search me for that resolution size it is not on the list and I have yet to find it. If someone happens to know the correct one I would love to hear it, that is the only thing keeping me from getting going on playing. ( I refuse to play in windowed mode) I posted in another topic along these lines but not as detailed, I hope what I have contributed helps some along the way, or coming in behind me on this. If I ever get the solution for the surface pro I will post again on this topic and provide the fix for the future users if possible.
08-18-2013 01:16 AM