Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Past Changes to RO/HeRO
Weapon Offline
The Family Jewels

RE: Past Changes to RO/HeRO

More changes:

- Enemies used to not use skills at all. They just didn't have them.

- Magician's (Yes, before wizards existed) cast time used to be dependent on AGI. So you could do a dodge build caster. This was quickly changed. AGI and VIT also wasn't reduced by the # of enemies aggroing you, so fleetanks were awesome.

- Before, MVP's didn't come with a middle finger. Power-up, Earthquake, Heaven's Judgment--none of them had anything of the sort. As a result, ANY class could solo any MVP if they had the right cards and gears--it would be a matter of endurance more than anything else, but you could do it. Gravity wanted to make it so that it would take a small army and/or an asura-spamming champ to fight most MVP's.

- Morroc wasn't blown up! There used to be a huge stretch of desert between Prontera and Morroc. There really wasn't much ON these maps, though, they were mostly barren. I think they threw in the whole Satan Morroc thing because they realized it was a huge stretch of land that really had nothing that interesting to it, so boom it goes!

- Initially, the world of Ragnarok Online was limited to Prontera, Payon, Geffen, Morroc, and Alberta. The elite leveling spot was Glast Heim. Beyond these lands was nothing. This is also why you can go to so many places via Alberta's ship instead of staying on just 1 continent--and why the world map only covers Rune-Midgardtdtdt or however it's spelled.

- Osiris' map had a bug. His poison skills couldn't touch you on the bottom row of tiles of the map. However poison and quag were the only threatening skills he would use against you. This made him much easier.

- Every character used to regain 1 SP per tick. *EVERY* character. INT and max SP did not affect this. The only way to increase SP faster was the Increase SP Recovery skill and Magnificat, which would only affect the rate of +1. SP restoratives were limited to like... grapes, and expensive blue potions--but they were also hard to get and not worth the expense/trouble. Acolytes had to rely on a combat build (with no combat skills. Cards weren't implemented yet) and supporting parties was incredibly difficult until you became a priest.

- Cards had different effects. A Wraith card (carded in weapon I believe) would boost your MATK by like... 3, 5%. Today this would be severely OP. Earlier cards also had no art and/or no associated effect--but that's okay because you could play all day long (on the 1x rate server as it was the only one that existed) for a month and maybe only get one card.

- Sites like RMS didn't always exist. You couldn't use @ commands like @whodrops or @mi, so for the longest time you'd have to do a ton of research to determine which enemy would be best for you to fight, in terms of their-stats-vs-your-stats-and-elements.

- Monster spawns were also different. i.e., Byalan used to have poison spores, willow-forest used to be the best spot to hunt smokies, etc. Incidentally, people went CRAZY over hunting smokies because the cat-ear headband was such a cute and elusive headgear, people would pay like 100k to get one. Incidentally again, 100k used to be a hell of a lot of money.

- On a server I played on years ago, they decided that Niflheim was too OP in terms of EXP/Zeny rewards to allow people to just wander in there, so they created a stupid custom quest you'd have to complete just to get there. Back then, Dullahans were considered generous EXP. You could go to Thanatos, GD's and Abyss too, but the party members required and difficulty of the enemies made it so that it wasn't worth the trouble if you could solo effectively enough.

- For many years, Anubis didn't exist (thank god.) The highest EXP from a TU'able undead was Ancient Mummy, and there were WAY too few to hunt, so most acolytes would never make it to priest because they were too lazy and couldn't find people in their 30's/40's willing to party with them. Hill Winds weren't a thing either. Myst Cases were considered good zeny.

- Level 99 used to freakin' MEAN something. The most EXP you could get from most enemies was like 13k solo and 3-5k in a party--not 200k+ in a party. Leeching was generally *scorned* instead of something people commonly begged for on main. Those people usually stopped at level 40 or so and never made it to their 2nd class. Having a trans character meant something too. In even earlier years, Level 70+ meant you were pretty hardcore.

- Gravity wanted to put in a feature in PVP that made it so that your weapon could drop if you died. The BS skill Hilt Binding was supposed to keep this from happening, but this 'feature' was so severely hated that they did away with it (as far as I know.)

Some of these features are over 10 years old... I feel so olllld _vvv_
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2013 09:30 AM by Weapon.)
07-21-2013 09:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nachi Offline

Hm... some of these are really nostalgic. Others i didn't even know. xD
So db rooms are the only places you can use dbs? That explains why though i've searched desperately, i couldn't find any map to use my dbs on.
07-21-2013 10:11 AM
cane 33 Offline
Pancake

How about skills?

- Heaven's Drive can broke ankle share (don't remember if broke other traps too) and cobweb

- AV had no after cast, without link too

- FA had knockback

- Sprinkle Sand can hit from distance

- the Sinx card MVP autocast EDP when u hit an enemy

- the HP card MVP autocast SW on yourself when u get a hit

- the Sniper card MVP give the perfect hit (0 dex and u can hit all anyway)

- Doppelganger card (my favourite) unlock 190 ASPD, don't care how much agi u had

- Fallen and Atroce had no effect

- White Lady card autocast sanctuary when u hit an enemy

- Before increase speed moviment gears stack (speed potion+moonlight flower+BOT+badge. Was an orgasm)

And other stuff, but I don't put on list because I don't want to confuse between old stuff and custom stuff

[Image: 2uikp3q.jpg]

Ren is the best
07-21-2013 01:21 PM
Adrillf Offline
Google Me

-Wayyy back in the day on heRO, players had access to @die. Some people (like myself) would use this as a 'free' butterfly wing and warp back home at early levels for the cost of only 1%. Given, it wasn't the best idea to @die at higher levels, but when you're young and running from city to city to do quests, it was nice to save in a town and then just @die to it whenever you got done running around talking to NPC's or gathering quest items.

- Rachel 1 used to be a great place to level as the spawn count on the isillas and vanbreks were really short and there were more mobs on the map so you could mob, stack, and kill.

- For those old enough to remember these days I'll name two other great spawn places that have now bitten the dust and are never used ever again- Seals & Alarms.

- When Moscovia was first released Les/Mavkas (weird re-name with them) had set spawn points. It was VERY common to find a spot with a set respawn, sit there and kill the same spawn over and over and over again. Many creators leveled this way through semi-afk farming and even more got banned for doing so.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2013 04:50 PM by Adrillf.)
07-26-2013 04:42 PM
Adrillf Offline
Google Me

Menace651 Wrote:-Hylozoist/Heirozosit Card used to randomly change monsters into other monsters (even into MVP's!). This was of course widely abused so the effect was nerfed/removed(at least on HeRO).

This- oh the fun times with this. I still have my double clips and remember the stupidity of playing around with them.

A stack of mushrooms + double transformation clips + sanctuary (to heal the mushrooms that didn't get transformed) + grimtooth = free DB party whenever, wherever.

Also, this was a great way to get rid of annoying mobs on maps that you didn't want. For example, morphing seekers in Rachel sanctuary so you wouldn't have to deal with them, or a few mobs on nightmare map as well. The transformed mob still counted towards the map's mob count, so the annoying mob didn't spawn while you played on that map.

This also started a rule for a short lived time on heRO where if you had a DB or spawned monster, you had to kill it before you logged out, or else you could get in trouble. If you couldn't kill it you had to announce it on @main and try to get help clearing it, or worst case scenario get a GM to wipe the map of mobs.
07-26-2013 05:00 PM
Ptah Offline
Lurker Above

Wait, but clicky pen still does the same, doesn't it? O_o

PS: Azoth

God i have too many characters. Just call me Bisu and let's end this -_-
[Image: fco46t.jpg][Image: 4se5oh.jpg]
Want to help HeRO? Feeling you're full of ideas that people will adore? Don't just stand there! Join HeRO T&D Crew!
07-26-2013 05:12 PM
GM-Rahice Offline
The Malevolent Queen Maleficent

Yeah it does, Bisu.

Also.. I like spamming rooms with monsters and leaving it to kill everyone. Except when I do it, I can disguise it as an event ^_______^

[Image: Rahice.gif]
Thank you Ren for the Signature!
07-26-2013 07:16 PM
Former-GM-Kaenec Offline

Oh I remember the old days. Surprised no one mentioned Old Payon... it was a very sad day for most people when we lost the sweet and awesomely laid-out city.

I remember getting all the e-mails that something "big" was coming to Morroc as Weapon pointed out too. I remember GH graveyard used to be the place to level since the intersecting path in the centre was generally considered the 'save zone.'

I also remember Geffen dungeon used to a major leveling place for beginners before they added those evil flies to the FIRST floor. Poporings were also added to payon dungeon to interfere with levelers since @autoloot did not exist (I think).

[Image: dzxm42.jpg]
Thank you Mr. Charcanine for the signature!
08-01-2013 01:11 PM
Former-GM-Patton Offline

RE:??Past Changes to RO/HeRO

GM-Kaenec Wrote:Oh I remember the old days. Surprised no one mentioned Old Payon... it was a very sad day for most people when we lost the sweet and awesomely laid-out city.

Oh god, same here. One of the very best towns to just chill out in, so many people too. Miss that place a terrible bunch :[
08-01-2013 04:38 PM
Former-GM-Kaenec Offline

Oh, just to add to this thread... does anyone remember the good ol' days when you could still use Backslide in WoE? LOL.

[Image: dzxm42.jpg]
Thank you Mr. Charcanine for the signature!
08-08-2013 01:16 AM