Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Multi-Clienting
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

RE: Multi-Clienting

(11-25-2015 03:26 PM)Can Wrote:  
(11-15-2015 01:38 PM)Yurrechire Wrote:  RO is a social game, and encouraging people to play with themselves goes against the spirit of it, in my opinion.

As far as parties go, why are people so intent on declaring that they don't exist? They happen consistently, and would happen even more if folks were less set on an ideal (bard, HP, prof, etc, etc) makeup. Yesterday's 70+ Muspel run was a lovely example of it: 4 wizards, and a paladin who doubled up as both a healer and a lure. We went through dozens of ygg leaves, people 89'd left and right, and much fun was had.

That said, additional incentives, such as permanently increased %exp per party member, wouldn't hurt.

I'm that healer pally, and it was good yes Icon_smile But it was agonizing to get to that point of 75-ish.

I know it's a social game and that should be encouraged, but let's face it, this is a decades old game and I doubt anyone expects the server population to increase drastically as there are more and more newer and shiny graphics etc games, and the people who would know about this game would go down every day, it is just the nature of things.

I think the population in this server is mostly very nice and talkative people who like doing things together when they can, and personally I would prefer partying with a priest over bringing a "slave-priest" of my own, as I think most of you would prefer as well, because it is more fun that way, you get to chat around and stuff.

But at some point, if you cannot find what you need/want, that "encouraging" social situations also mean "discouraging" you to play at all, if you're a lone player. As someone mentioned, this situation has turned me into "just waiting for puppies and healer quest" for several days, and that's just not enjoyable.

And with the said situation above, ro being an old game and the low population, I think keeping your currently active players happy and involved is more important than chasing unrealistic expectations of a huge crowd.

And how could you be so sure that multi client can give more positive means than negative? The proof you've given is only by 'your' experience while not considering the effect in the populace.

People keep arguing 'cause official RO does it' but have you ever though that it is a poison they've made to kill off their own game slowly? They know RO is getting old and to make it reasonable for them to shut it down is to make players bored, lazy and the game really easy.

if all other servers does multi self cloning, then the argument of 'attracting people back with multi self cloning' is invalid since other servers would have it anyways making us not stand out anyway and would be the same as not having it in the first place.

The people who keep arguing about adding multiclienting isn't considering the negative effects.... Sigh... And as Joe mentioned it just isolates the people more.

The game is old and so how does make it a reason to include multi self cloning instead of alternatives that GMs are trying to make like events? This multi self cloning is basically so easy to exploit and harder for GMs to track. Sure just make a rule of 'only 2 clones', but how are you sure that this rule will be maintained and how?

[Image: tumblr_ny8egaizy41ugfaiio1_500.gif]
11-25-2015 05:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Can Offline

(11-25-2015 05:12 PM)Story Teller Wrote:  And how could you be so sure that multi client can give more positive means than negative? The proof you've given is only by 'your' experience while not considering the effect in the populace.

The game is old and so how does make it a reason to include multi self cloning instead of alternatives that GMs are trying to make like events? This multi self cloning is basically so easy to exploit and harder for GMs to track. Sure just make a rule of 'only 2 clones', but how are you sure that this rule will be maintained and how?

Firstly, it is not just me or just "my" experience, several people have addressed this, and unless we have some arbitrary graphs and charts to talk of, players' personal experiences are one of the best "proof" you can have, yet you just prefer to dismiss it for no good reason. And I can ask the same thing then, since you talk so negatively on the subject, where is your proof? You say I'm not considering the populace, but you're the one dismissing my experience, or a few others like me. I can say I have played on a multiclient server with no major problems, can you tell me of a server that broke down just because of this?

On the second point, no one said multi-clienting should be "instead" of alternatives like GMs making live events, you can do both.

And finally, the technical appliance of that limitation is on the GMs end. I think if they can keep track of whether you have just 1 or more clients on the same IP right now, they could potentially do the same with "just 2 or more clients" instead. If they say they cannot implement such a limitation, then we can talk about that.
11-26-2015 11:03 AM
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

(11-26-2015 11:03 AM)Can Wrote:  Firstly, it is not just me or just "my" experience, several people have addressed this, and unless we have some arbitrary graphs and charts to talk of, players' personal experiences are one of the best "proof" you can have, yet you just prefer to dismiss it for no good reason. And I can ask the same thing then, since you talk so negatively on the subject, where is your proof? You say I'm not considering the populace, but you're the one dismissing my experience, or a few others like me. I can say I have played on a multiclient server with no major problems, can you tell me of a server that broke down just because of this?

On the second point, no one said multi-clienting should be "instead" of alternatives like GMs making live events, you can do both.

And finally, the technical appliance of that limitation is on the GMs end. I think if they can keep track of whether you have just 1 or more clients on the same IP right now, they could potentially do the same with "just 2 or more clients" instead. If they say they cannot implement such a limitation, then we can talk about that.

Emphasis on "others like me", then what about others that aren't like you? This is just selfishly asking for multi-self cloning and hiding the negative facts on what is going to happen. And the 'several others' you mentioned only stated those that like it implemented, yet you never mentioned whether there are 'several others' that are against it 'in' the server [proven in this thread itself with people arguing against it]. I am dismissing your statement of 'your' experience since you only considered 'your' side, I'd rather you consider the opposite side too.

You stated that other servers are doing it without no problems but why should we implement it in 'our' server? Is it just because they have it and its working for 'them'? Are you ignoring the opinions of others that are against it being implemented and would quit?

Also are you telling the GMs to allocate more of their time finding rule breakers rather than plan more for event? We have a few GMs and most of their work specialize in one field. We can't expect them to multitask since they also have real life to handle with too.

If the 'several others' that you mentioned wants the multi clone themselves, then propose it in a way that would be in neutral ground with those against it. Solve all those issues stated by the guys against it and then you can prove your point. Of course, if it's a near draw in negative and positive effect, the likely action is not apply it.

Seriously... Why are people so hell bent just going to places that have the most exp in a short time. That's why the map isn't explore much in RO since people isolate themselves from potential solo training areas. That's another reason why we have the crazy merchant in the first place, to get people to explore more than just be wimping in places that they can't handle without 'parties'.

[Image: tumblr_ny8egaizy41ugfaiio1_500.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2015 04:20 PM by Story Teller.)
11-26-2015 04:07 PM
GranBrujo Offline

I am a new player (to heRO) and was surprised, first when I found the limitations to multi clienting, and then when I found this thread. As I said I am a new player (about a week in this server). I find many things I like and I enjoy all the activities and events organized to help players like me grow up (or level up) in the game, however:
My experience with other players regarding partying has been negative, after agreeing to form a party. most people disappear for one reason or another as soon as they see how green my char is. I have not been able to join or form a single party.
As far as making a party with my own characters. I am surprised at the way people talk as if a multi client party would be practical. In my experience, more than 2 clients is not practical. The most you can achieve is buffing, healing and other support activities - not actively following up). Moving 2 chars efficiently to prevent being killed while switching from one to other char is beyond my agility and general capabilities, except if it is against weak mobs.
The bottom line, I urge you people to reconsider and allow dual clienting, except for WoE, and Events. It could make the difference between keeping or losing new players (or force veterans to party up to support new players - weekly quota to qualify for WoE) (Just kidding /hehIcon_wink
03-28-2016 02:13 PM
illbeatinu Offline

I am for this, do to the low parties and population right now. I also agree there should be a limit of 2. Also if it aloud in the future if someone could post a guild on best ways to use it be really greatful.
03-28-2016 06:34 PM
sheam Offline
Final Universal Love

My first reaction when I got here to this was:
WTF. R U SRS. THAT IS SO DUM. OMFG WHY. FROWNIE FACE.

.. And, now I feel adjusted to this solo client world.

I'll level with some of you. It may seem like a restriction of solo-oriented content.. no beast strafe farm, one handed quicken, etc.

It can also feel inconvenient.. making a sage (who could endow others go figure! 8D) to craft converters and.. Spending 1 Shell/Horn/Tail and 1000z Per minute to use. Yes you can get an endow.. hopefully it's a level 5 or 4. Or at least Not Level Two. ..So you've repaired your weapon a few times, and tipped the endower.. and after it runs out you still have 10 mins left on your awake..
"..."

If able to repeat all that, what if you're going to need 10 endows in a row? You got stuff to do.

There's this reason and that.. but really what you want is for something to be ready -- when you're ready -- at all times. Just like that banana vendor. When you want bananas, baMMFff.. banana get.

Look at it like this: Dual client isn't the problem. Creating a homogenization of Slaves is.

Don't Gemme wrong tho, you should still enjoy Having What You Want When You Want+Always, but keep that focused more on items. A class is not property. Bananas are property. What I'm saying is : You get what I'm saying. Also bananas.

Positive effects of dealin'wit-it:

You'll learn to appreciate (aka Consider as an Option) soul linkers in parties. You'll be more thankful for the endows when you can get them, and you may find someone to play the game with. It'll make you a more patient person. You'll find you don't need them quite as often and you'll feel more accomplished the longer you play without them.

Make friends, invite friends, bring them here. =D

~

>;o
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 12:25 PM by sheam.)
03-30-2016 06:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seraphin Offline

Too much to read here, so im just going to throw in an opinion. Im for it, but as someone mentioned previously, limit the exceptions to 2 clients, and disallow them in WoE (and i dont even play WoE Icon_razz)

[Image: Untitled-2-3.gif]
03-30-2016 06:01 PM
The Roger Offline
RNGOD PRAISER #1

(11-10-2015 06:17 PM)The Roger Wrote:  Multiclienting limited at non-woe times and maybe limited to 2~3 total clients, imo.

Im now against multiclienting. I'll soullink my WS all day, all night.

Album Collection:
[img]WIP[img]
and counting

CLICK HERE HeRO Videos!

[Image: image,RNGod,white,black.png]
[Image: NYD-ONESHOT-7-85-M-damage.png]
[Image: Screenshot-20190605-030429.jpg]
07-30-2016 04:14 PM
Poofy Offline

There is something nice about the reliance on other players for certain things. Bugging friends for an endow or link, planning classes with friends and feeling like a piece of a party rather than a tool you can just client in is a really rewarding feeling. It comes with a lot of things that are straight up a pain but there's a lot to appreciate in not being able to cheat out every single class with a Priest+Whatever you actually want to level combo.

I'm against dual clienting being allowed in any form but I'm not so resistant to it that I'd say it would ruin my experience if it ever came around. It definitely would shake up how me and my friends set ourselves up here though.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2016 11:14 PM by Poofy.)
07-30-2016 11:14 PM