Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Server Progress Update
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Server Progress Update

Here's a post about the various things being developed for the server, not only the SVN but also some other projects we're working on.

Disclaimer: Do not put any pressure on me or any other GM for the completion of any of those, they will come out when ready. I can assure you we are working hard, which does not mean that we don't have a right to also play and relax sometimes. Complaints of ANY kind are not welcomed in this thread, actually keep replies to a minimum this is not a discussion thread.

~ SVN

This is a big chunk and I know how outdated it is. We are working on it and once again I wanna apologize for the lateness of this update.

I sincerely and honestly love this server, and I think this is the first step to being a good admin. At the start of the server, we had 6 Admins, each with our own tasks and field of competence. The server could not have started without the common efforts of all, sadly the other admins left one by one for various reasons, except for GM-Feith who is still here once in a blue moon. Back in the days, my main area was events, scripting npc and player relation. I had no part in the "technical" aspects of the server, such as setting up the Linux, the configurations of the server and svn update, those were GM-Scott and GM-Ben's domain and they did a great job. When I became the main admin, I was left with a very well-setup and stable server. It's a very good thing because technical stuff is not one of my strong point, I had to learn as I went and I'm still learning to this day.

I'm very dedicated, honest and I consider myself pretty nice, I'm hoping those can partly make up for the fact that I'm not the most competent at tech stuff. SVN is being worked on, slowly, but surely. I wasn't sure exactly how to go about it, I'm not certain our approach is the best, but this is what we decided to do:

First thing, we are setting up a test server, we used to have one but sadly the gm hosting it left us abruptly (Tux). None of the other GMs would/could host a dedicated test server. This requires after all a free computer to install Linux on, a stable internet connection, not to mention time and patience. Luckily a player offered to help and I am very grateful, I hope you are too because he is giving time and efforts to the server, when he could be playing instead. A test server is very important, otherwise it would mean I would have to turn the heRO server off while working on the svn update and cut everyone from their playtime.

After the test server is set up, we put the newest stable SVN on it, just making Linux + MySQL + empty new svn work was a pain, but the trouble was far from over. The next step is to "heroise" the svn, that is: make this empty server just like heRO. Over the past year we've made numerous modifications to the server, all those have to be made on the new svn to make it the server you have come to know. The NPCs, the configurations, the items and monsters, etc. We'll also try to solve any problems we encounter as we go and will most likely revise some drop rates and monster spawn time.

Next step after that, almost last but certainly not least: the database. Basically all your informations, characters, levels, experience, items are stored in the database. what we're going to do, is take a backup from the server, then adapt it (with scripts, certainly not manually) to fit in the database for the new svn. Since there are differences between our old database and how the one of the new svn is set up we unfortunately can't just "dump" our database on the new svn, that would be too easy lol We will have to work to make it fit, and eventually we will have a "few days old" database set up on the test server's new svn. Once we got everything ironed out and our database script ready, we'll be ready for the last step.

Lastly, switching the new svn on the real server and adapting the database to fit accordingly (with the scripts we previously made). Also releasing a new patch + client to work with all that.

Do all these steps seem simple? Well if they do, you're sadly mistaken XD, all this for someone not comfortable with technical aspect seems like a mountain to be honest lol But I'm taking it step by step, one thing at the time. We're currently at the 2nd step. I have no anticipated date for the exact release time but I will keep this post updated with the progress and just so you know we are currently rather active on it and we will start "hiring" beta testers soon.

Once the new svn is ready on the real server, we decided to not release everything all at once, rather we will release gradually in "phases" that should last approximately 1 week each. Which will give us more time to test each particular aspect more thoroughly while still giving you guys some update and new features to check out. See next post for the current phase detail.

Lastly, I want to thank all our player for their patience, I'm grateful that you are still playing with us even on our stone-age SVN, fear not the future is coming!

Also, expect more custom items when we have the new SVN, I am currently limited in the amount of custom gear I can add, but after we're updated I can do unlimited custom adding and I intend to spoil you with tonz of new headgears ^_^ In addition, the main chanel will be turned a new color, most likely Orange.

~ Advanced Fishing Spot A new fishing place, harder than the basic spot near Prontera. At this spot there is no guppy at all and you stand better chance to catch good fishy, there is also 1 new kind: the mutant fish. Expect this place to be hidden, harder (aggro monsters), but this difficulty will allow you to learn more about fishing (more fishing points) and you might also come upon an item for a quest!

~ Tag PVP Tournament Made by GM-Auron.

~ Mr. Hatter complete his quest and he'll reward you with 1 of his many hat! (A way to obtain several of Gravity's hat that do not have a quest + some new custom headgears).
*Added bonus: He is also working on a dyestuff project, soon he might be able to recolor some specific hats.

~ Tower Quest a man near Geffen Tower needs your help to regain his honor, and in the end you may end up with a heroic gear ^_^

~ Auto-Patcher This feature is not in-game but it would be a nice addition to make the update easier.

~ Thanatos Tower Quest A new quest that will take place entirely in the Tower of the mighty Thanatos.

~ Pixie, the Queen of Fairies she might need your help soon, you'll be informed of why and how when the time comes. Update: she is asking your monetary help there in the monthly auction.

~ New Generation Wings there will be 5 generation in total, 4th generation is out, so 1 more to come! EDIT: all 5 generations are out now.

~ Baby Wings for HARDCORE novices, can only be made in the training grounds!!! Even if the quest is done with a fresh novice, expect it to be challenging and hard! EDIT: Released.

~ Nobility System where commoner can become noble!

~ A New SVN update Once we're done with the 10th phase it will already be time to work on a new "new svn", the one we have is already getting "old". (Done June 11th[/color]

~ Moscovia coming during the summer!

~ Hatter v3 A big update to the hatter: new cards, new items, new trivia and of course new hats! (Because of the amount of hats the best ones might be reduced to 0,5%) [About 10% done]

~ Poring Soccer An event where you get to play soccer with a poring ball! Cute and fun ^_^ [About 60% done]

~ Battle Royale Event Been working on this for a little while, a semi-automated event of survival with novices. Based on the movie by the same name. [About 20% done]

~ Minefield Event Another semi-automated novice event, battle in a giant arena full of Marine Sphere, push them on others to kill them and do your best to survive! [About 5% done]

~ Housing System (for heroes only) Just an idea for now, haven't started developing this but it should be fun if we eventually add it. [About 5% done]

~ Challenge of the Trinity Knights a quest to earn Allegiance Points and other rewards, done in teams of 3 heroes of the same side against the mysterious 3 knights. [About 10% done]

~ Baby Wars a monthly event where baby classes battle. [About 10% done]

~ More Light/Dark Quest to earn Allegiance points, I'm working on a few at the same time. Most likely new explorers will be added, furthermore in the future you might earn points if you have unlocked all towns and dungeons, so start exploring the wonderful world of RO ~_^ [About 15% done]

~ OBB/OPB quest are pretty much ready but I'm not sure I will add them, with the Easter hat, the fishing and the events, there might be enough of those circulating already. [About 90% done, halted]

~ Bunny Slipper Quest suggested by a player [Halted, used to be done by GM-Hermes -> taken on by GM-Law -> limbo] [About 10% done]

~ New quest for gears other helms/gears with their own original quests.. fear our "mean" item list lol

~ Zen Helm[1] (name is not yet decided). This is an item specifically for those who do not wish to join an allegiance and prefer to remain neutral in the conflict opposing Light and Dark. The Quest can only be started if the player is not sided with an Allegiance and bonus of the helm will only be added if the player is still neutral upon equipping. [About 15% done]

~ New Wedding places 1-2 new places to get married. Possibly Allegiance related, Dark one might be in Glastheim.[About 10% done]

~ Biolab level 3-2 a new level to the bio laboratory, the map is the same as bio 3-1 (regular 3rd level of biolab), but it contains custom monsters that are the trans from the 2-2 classes as well as super novice, gunslinger, soul linker, etc. [About 5% done]

~ HERO V.I.P Club Will require a certain (high) amount of Allegiance Points to enter, followed by a fee to apply for membership as well as a quest. What do you gain when you're a member? Well, that's classified information, members only! [About 30% done]

~ Pandora's Box A truly unique quest, for our unique server! A lost city? A golden treasure? A Mysterious Box? Probably the longest and most intricate quest we have attempted thus far. Over 30 NPCs, 2 custom MVPs, 8 new gears, 5 alternate endings, randomization to increase replay value, and much more! Will involve teamwork, wits, strength and speed, be ready for a true challenge. [About 20% done]

~ Numismatist npc who's he? [About 85% done]

~ Bulletin Board what purpose can that serve? Find out later. [About 97% done]

~ Revamped Fishing & Mining Self-explanatory. [About 55% done]

~ Muspel Monday This is gonna be an automated recurring .. thing, something between an event and a quest happening 4-5 times a month without any gm input. A portal will open for 5 minutes, and then through various elimination process players will get to test their skills/rapidity until a select few emerge victorious (or until all fail XD) [About 70% done]

~ Custom Class Really a long term and very blurry project for now, but I got a few ideas in store, making them come true is another story. [About 1% done]

~ Other surprises that I'll keep secret for now ~_^

~ Ongoing: The Test & Development section. Send me a PM if you would like to join the team, this is your chance to help the server in various ways (graphics, programming and more).

Of course this list doesn't the regular stuff; the monthly patches, the regular events and all sorts of other things to keep us busy, like the many little problems that arise when people play together and not all of them behave as they should XD

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
07-06-2007 01:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

RE: Server Progress Update

SVN Release Phase:

Phase 1: New Towns + Gambling [Released 2007/09/27]
[Image: rachelnn8.jpg]

[Image: gamblingjs3.jpg]

Phase 2: Ice Dungeon [Released 2007/09/04]
[Image: icepq2.jpg]

Phase 3: Rachel Sanctuary + Slotter NPC + Hatter NPC [Released 2007/09/10]
[Image: racheldunsa0.jpg]

Phase 4: Ninja! [Released 2007/09/18]
[Image: ninjavv8.jpg]

Phase 5: Geffenia + Advanced Fishing Spot [Released 2007/10/01]
[Image: geffeniaqs9.jpg]

Phase 6: Kiel Robot Factory + Tower Quest [Released 2007/10/11]
[Image: kieldunoy4.jpg]

Phase 7: Gunslinger! [Released 2007/10/26]
[Image: gunneryl4.jpg]

Phase 8: Odin's Temple [Released 2007/12/21]
[Image: odinduntz5.jpg]

Phase 9: Thor's Volcano [Released 2008/01/29]
[Image: volcanokb5.jpg]

Phase 10: Homunculus [Released 2008/03/15]
[Image: homunculusie9.jpg]

All 10 phases are done.

SVN customisation:

I know how some of you want to be exactly as close as possible to Gravity's servers. However heRO is unique and we do modify certain aspects to fit with our server. Consider that we have a much smaller population than kRO/iRO and we're also much different from them. Please try to keep an open mind about the changes we make. It's very tiring if every single decision we take is debated, flamed and argued about.

I wont write everything in this list it would be too long, you know the custom pet tame and some custom headgears drop from monsters. I'll keep the superfluous information out.

So far we changed:
~ Allow teleport skill in Amatsu Dungeon
~ Storage Space from 300 to 500!
~ Added 2 Arc Angeling spawn (1 in Toy Factory, 1 in "Poring Island")
~ Range of Sight set to 5 -> then set to 4
~ Range of Ruwach set to 4 -> then set to 3
~ Disabled Godly Items NPCs (it was like that on heRO already)
~ Removed Voting Kafra/Cool corps NPCs (it's dungeon warp and we already got warpers)
~ Removed Novice Castle warp and warper
~ Added Healer and Banker to every town up to and including Rachel (but not Vein, it's empty anyway).
~ Added Warpers to new town and dungeons, save for Geffenia which requires the Sign quest to open.
~ Immobile Plants/Mushroom don't give exp (wasn't changed by us, it's eAthena)
~ Main will be purple with default client (I'll release alternative color clients)
~ Added iFris spawn at Thor lvl 3 (it wasn't there in our stable version, but it's in the trunk so we copied it from there) -> Removed.
~ Added a level 75 requirement to the Ice Cave MVP Quest to prevent abuse.
~ Slotted Glasses/Sunglasses will no longer drop from OPB (as changed by gravity), but are available at low chance from hatter quest (custom to heRO).
~ Added a fee of 5k to Cursed Water Fountain to prevent abuse.
~ Added 3 new player command: @pettalk @homtalk @partyoption
~ Fee to unlock Rachel Sanctuary has been lowered from 500M to 150M (price for the whole server together).
~ Bait price was slightly increased, to 15k for 100 baits.
~ Valkyrie mob spawn time increased (not the MVP one, the miniboss)

Monster drop change:
~ Cursed Water from Fake Angel 30% -> 6%
~ Cursed Water from Violy 30% -> 6%
~ Violin[4] from Violy 15% -> 6%
~ Evil Wing from Arc Angeling 0.05% -> 1%
~ False Angel Wings from Fake Angel 0% -> 75%
~ Atroce Ring[1] and OPB drops reduced.
~ Valkyrie Shield drop reduced.
~ Added Heroic Emblem at low chance to High Orcs
~ Added Poring Hat at low chance to Porings
~ Increased drop rate of Poring Card
~ Increased drop rate of Nursing Bottle from Garm Baby

New SVN known issues:

~ All custom headgears and wings will appear incorectly if currently worn on your character, simple unequip-requip to solve this.

~ Login is case sensitive! (Watch out for those lowercase/uppercase letters)

~ Peco riders are not shown on peco when in the selection screen (until you get a new peco?).

~ CP is Currently Down T_T Will work on fixing it soon.

~ Server Admin ~
07-06-2007 01:52 PM
razoredge Offline
Poring Head Knight

I noticed you have thor's volcano in there, is it natural to assume then that veins will be implemented as well? Because if you'd like as soon as I'm done editing the warps/mob spawns I could provide you with another town, Moscovia. It shouldn't take me longer than maybe an hour to do it all.

[Image: razbannerow7.gif]
07-06-2007 02:09 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

It has Vein, kinda empty however aside from the warp I think. The screenshot of the ninja with music note is taken in Vein.

~ Server Admin ~
07-06-2007 02:23 PM
razoredge Offline
Poring Head Knight

yea it is empty, but the lovely part about that is that the town becomes your putty to put whatever lovely type of quests and scripts you want there /ok but it was an idea ;D

[Image: razbannerow7.gif]
07-06-2007 02:27 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Yeah that's nice ^_^

I'll pass on Moscovia for now, I got far enough to chew on already, but many thanks for offering!

~ Server Admin ~
07-06-2007 02:34 PM
Flossy Offline
Falathiel of Fate

*Falls out of my chair* Omfg great work, And looking good Pandora in those Ninja/Gunner sprites. n_n;; Keep it up :O

[Image: flossysig1ak1.jpg]
Flossy - The Real Meaning

Word used to define someone who is really intelligent but a bit stupid or an airhead.
A "Flossy" would say "I have a Phd in Math....do you think we can sit on chairs underwater ?"
Or
"My IQ is 160, But i think red cars are faster than blue ones"
^ WHAT !! Thats BS~!!! Blue cars are FASTER !!~~~~~!!!~~
07-06-2007 05:00 PM
ShadesOfBlue Offline
Order of Chaos

jumping all the way to thor's volcano is kinda huge jump from where we are at now .. not that it matters but im impressed. Does this include the bio monsters racial change?

[Image: obama_supporters.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2007 05:04 PM by ShadesOfBlue.)
07-06-2007 05:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

I see no point in switching half way since either way it would require a lot of work, might as well go to the latest. There will be a time/place for questions once we get there. This is simply a progression thread.

Edit: Don't get too jumpy guys, the hard part is making the new svn like our server and have the database fit with that. Those screenshot are taken on an empty svn, it's cute and everything, but on the workload this is the tip of the iceberg.

~ Server Admin ~
07-06-2007 05:11 PM
poeticwings Away
PAGDAYAW !!

Wow. This is huge leap. And the main color would definitely be helpful.

Rinato High Priest L99/70
Index Sniper L99/70
Peppermint Gypsy L99/69
The Pianist Assassin Cross L98/68
sharp Baby Hunter L99/50
Harmonia Soul Linker L91/50

The Penguin Squad Guild L9
07-06-2007 05:11 PM