Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Main Channel
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

RE: Main Channel

Main can be to have fun and yeah there is freedom of speach, but I think this sentence sums it best: Your liberty ends where someone else's begins. It's like this both in game and in society, everyone is allowed a certain space and freedom but it stops when it hurts the space and freedom of someone else.

There needs to be a good balance between individuality and community, either end is not good. If everyone can do whatever they want it becomes total anarchy and if only the community gets to decide than it's dictatorship I guess.

Just use main in a responsible manner by being considerate to others.

Also don't confuse funny and vulgar/obscene.

I don't want to have to turn main off or to have to assign a "main police" GM, that would suck. I think we have one of the best community around, maybe I am a little utopic but I envision that we don't need to resort to such extremes and that people can use it properly.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
07-21-2007 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
truthhurts Offline

i think main should be used rather freely, but no hurtful comments. by that i mean stuff like racism, also harassment, begging, inappropriate language, stuff that targets someone in a negative way. anything else, people seem to take offense because maybe it doesn't go with what they think is appropriate, for example saying stuff like oh yeah i think dancers are hawt or brazilians are sexy. some might get offended by this but is it really something thats inappropriate and something that hurts them personally? i think we have to be more specific and maybe we do need a gm that sort of monitors the activity and decides what is and isn't appropriate.
07-21-2007 10:44 AM
Rei Offline
Mistress Of Twilight

RE:??Main Channel

Rei Ayanami Wrote:well, firstly while i am used to those profanity and rape jokes now due to the nature of my study (i.e. male/female ratio is 99: 1), it is by no means funny. it might be to guys but if you are going to do them, please keep it amongst yourselves and have some consideration (if you haven't noticed) for the opposite gender counterpart of your species. as it might be a huge surprise to some of you, we do exist on the internet too (god that was one of the older jokes about internet and women)Icon_twisted

for me main is a very useful tool and should not be just removed or switched off just because of a few people who cannot keep their misdemeanor to themselves. it becomes frustrating when people does these kinds of things repetitively and often in excess, but main chat i think allow everyone to get to know people by the often occurring small talks with the whole server which are quite resourceful. it helps the community to bond better and also share information in regards to items, skills, locations, comic relief (occasionally) and events and more.

but i think that for some people the freedom of speech is a bit too much for them to handle. freedom of speech is not a right, it is a privilege given that you do not abuse it to wreak havoc or hurt people. verbal abuse, sexist or high level of chauvinistic comments and obscene profanity is a crime of assault by the way, and most places including public places will have you thrown out if you do such things as rape jokes and other inappropriate whatnots.

i think such things simply deserves jail time or mute, we don't have to cater for people who abuse the system through the loopholes because no matter how well you patch it up by the book, there will be holes in it.

for those who aren't the ones doing it, i think a screen shot and report is enough. though it will be up to the GM to judge as this actually may be abused due to circumstantial law/ rules/ etc.

for those doing it, just seriously stop it, it is not funny and it is actually very sad that you even think they are funny.

note: that was too long but i think that is everything.
Edit: colored it in for ease of reading. i noticed it is hard to read after i posted it.

I completely agree with Rei Ayanami's entire post, she is exactly right. I really can't think of a better way to get the point across.

Characters:
R e i - Stalker
Y u i - Priest
BlackRose - Assasin
[Image: 91artu.png]
[Image: ReiSig.jpg]
07-21-2007 07:19 PM
Sheepdude Offline

Sarcasm ftw.

[Image: signature.jpg]
07-21-2007 11:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rei Offline
Mistress Of Twilight

I wasn't being sarcastic

Characters:
R e i - Stalker
Y u i - Priest
BlackRose - Assasin
[Image: 91artu.png]
[Image: ReiSig.jpg]
07-22-2007 08:47 AM
Sheepdude Offline

You're right, but I can't think of what you would label it.

[Image: signature.jpg]
07-22-2007 10:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Salvosa Offline
Spirit of Salvosa

Sweat

~~
Rysie - 82/50/High Priest

Reyli - The blue haired girl - 81/50/Baby Alchemist
Razhak - 51/Amistr
07-22-2007 10:25 AM