Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Main Channel
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

RE: Main Channel

Sheepdude Wrote:I agree that main ought not to be a place for a few (particular) persons to chat away. It's meant to be a place where characters can display server-wide broadcasts such as trading items, asking for parties, asking for information, etcetera. People need to find other channels for talking to each other. I don't know about the rest of the server, but Angel Empire is almost entirely composed of mine and Dave's friends. Guilds are for hanging out, not main.

Fully agreed Icon_smile

Also, since Prontera is a general hanging out place, it should be kept rated G for general, avoid talking about anything that might not be suited for young ears in general chat there.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
07-20-2007 05:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Force-Attuned Krogoth Offline
Jack of All Trades

Removing @main is, in my eyes, a horrible thing to suggest. It's all well and good to say that you should chat with your guild, but not everyone has a guild. Not everyone has a populous guild. Not everyone only interacts with people inside their guild. The main channel goes between guild boundaries, and generally promotes the sort of open environment that heRO has come to represent. While I don't purport speak for the other inhabitants of the server, I'm here for the people, not the wings. Please don't cut me off from the rest of the server.

Kroggles ensures the living stay living, and the dead stay dead.
Clobberella beats you up.
Teela Brown has a birdie!
Flosshilde communes with the very souls of the damned.
Walsung is actually pretty cool. For a guy made of metal.
07-20-2007 05:33 PM
Salvosa Offline
Spirit of Salvosa

Solution:

Create a second chat for trade only. @shop, @trade or whatever you wish to name it.

The only real reason to leave main on is to make sure you don't miss out on important trade information. A dedicated channel would allow you to get the info you need without being retard-spammed to death. If you want to join in the spamming, main will still be there for you.

Win-Win.

And you can just have the command stick through logouts so that you can just permanently leave main off.

I seem to recall hearing that Panda was having a problem doing this though. I don't remember. The first idea should be fine though.

Edit: Agreed with Krog.

~~
Rysie - 82/50/High Priest

Reyli - The blue haired girl - 81/50/Baby Alchemist
Razhak - 51/Amistr
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2007 05:36 PM by Salvosa.)
07-20-2007 05:34 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

@Force-Attuned Krogoth I'm not saying people should never talk on main or have discussion with the rest of the server. However since everyone sees it, it should be used with some degree of moderation. Avoid 2-people conversation that have nothing to do with anyone else, use PM instead.

Basically, I don't want to close off main, but I want people to use it responsibly.

As for the suggestions, they are not easily doable (if at all).

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
07-20-2007 06:08 PM
Salvosa Offline
Spirit of Salvosa

any response to my suggestion?

~~

Razhak - 51/Amistr
07-20-2007 06:10 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

Force-Attuned Krogoth Wrote:Removing @main is, in my eyes, a horrible thing to suggest. It's all well and good to say that you should chat with your guild, but not everyone has a guild. Not everyone has a populous guild. Not everyone only interacts with people inside their guild. The main channel goes between guild boundaries, and generally promotes the sort of open environment that heRO has come to represent. While I don't purport speak for the other inhabitants of the server, I'm here for the people, not the wings. Please don't cut me off from the rest of the server.

Believe that the motion to change main is only to restrict the type of speech that is allowed in @main, if Namin? is reading it right. While it is still (and should remain) totally possible to speak for those without guilds or to intermingle with the other guilds' members, they should do it in a cordial and respectful manner that is appropriate for all audiences on main then.

Feel free to chat with @main, but at least participate with the respect that heRO asks for out of its players... leave the other type of chat in a more private space~

(Mr. Salvosa, believe the difficulty that Ms. Pandora speaks of in some suggestions is indeed, his suggestions)

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
07-20-2007 07:11 PM
Kadar Offline
Cheese is WoE

Wow... I can't believe you are all agreeing with this. You actually want to police the way people talk? How about a better solution. Turn @main off by default. That's the way it normally works anyway. That way if people want to be on @main they can go on @main knowing what to expect. You don't have to listen to it if you don't want to. @main allows people to contact others from anywhere in the game. The way I see it if you want to have a conversation with just one person you should be able to use @main to do so. Just know that any number of people can be reading it.

It's public chat. PUBLIC. Public pools, public transportation, public parks, public toilets. They aren't pretty, they aren't clean, but you got to use them sometime. Welcome to the real world. Welcome to @main.

[Image: combinedoodlesigiq6.gif][Image: siromafinished1ln0.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2007 08:27 PM by Kadar.)
07-20-2007 08:25 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

Real world also may have corrupted government leaders... transfer the logic, GMs should always pump out weapons for themselves...? >_>; It does not have to be that way... heRO does not have to take everything from RL and apply it here as a given.

Public =/= Best

=/

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
07-20-2007 08:43 PM
Sheepdude Offline

Hey guys, Kadar is right. This isn't a private RO server with rules and guidelines, it is a free world where we can do whatever we want.

[Image: signature.jpg]
07-20-2007 09:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Salvosa Offline
Spirit of Salvosa

I missed the last part somehow. But the @shop idea is possible. I've seen it done on another server. It was great, which shouldn't come as a huge surprise.

This is just a suggestion though. Take it or leave it Icon_biggrin

~~

Razhak - 51/Amistr
07-20-2007 09:40 PM