Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is my router causing lag problems?
Lysander Offline

RE: Is my router causing lag problems?

I had a HUGE problem with my linksys wireless router but all I had to do was switch from what ever I was using to WEP encoding. Apparently WPA (or whatever it is, my memory fails me) is not very compatible with Linksys stuff. I was getting mega lag spikes and what not and then switched over and I'm getting really good speeds ^_^
06-08-2008 05:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slyph123 Away
In Awesomsox Camp for 4 weeks, GTFOOMHB!

I have a similar problem to this.
I use a 2Wire Router and I tend to get lag spikes very often which last for 3-4 seconds and its the kind of lag where clicking even without seeing yourself move doesn't help. This often kills me a lot because as a sage I mob, so you could see how annoying it gets. Anyways, maybe the same thing could work for me too but I don't know how to access my router firewall or know the ports for HeRO. If someone could help me out too that would be great :>

Slyph 9x/5x Siroma Slayer Sage
[Image: ac89caih2.gif]
[Image: b060d8ck9.gif]
06-10-2008 01:22 AM
Chained Chaos Offline

Slyph123 Wrote:Anyways, maybe the same thing could work for me too but I don't know how to access my router firewall or know the ports for HeRO. If someone could help me out too that would be great :>
Use the link I provided earlier in the thread for figuring out how to access your router firewall. It's fairly easy and doesn't require much effort, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. As for the heRO ports, I can't help you there. As stated before, someone who handles the technical side of the server would have to give you that info.

[Image: tyraelsigix4.jpg]
06-10-2008 02:09 AM
n3xus Offline

Lysander Wrote:I had a HUGE problem with my linksys wireless router but all I had to do was switch from what ever I was using to WEP encoding. Apparently WPA (or whatever it is, my memory fails me) is not very compatible with Linksys stuff. I was getting mega lag spikes and what not and then switched over and I'm getting really good speeds ^_^

just fyi, WEP sucks bad for security. so if u were to login to your email accounts or even your bank account, someone could actually sniff the traffic and well... yeah not a good spot to be in. i have a linksys and use WPA all the time. never had problems (unless i go playing around with it).

[Image: asdfnx.jpg]
06-10-2008 02:19 AM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Sent you the info, hope it helps in fixing the issue ^_^

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
06-10-2008 08:51 AM
ShadesOfBlue Offline
Order of Chaos

Something else you may consider is adding a broadband signal booster. I saw one locally for round 50 bucks. If your like me you never told your crappy ISP you were planning on adding more pc's (so they wouldnt price gouge you), so they gave you nuff signal strength for one pc. I thought i was getting a good deal when in fact all they were giveing me was the finger.

[Image: obama_supporters.jpg]
06-10-2008 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slyph123 Away
In Awesomsox Camp for 4 weeks, GTFOOMHB!

hmm, when I use the guide link that was there for how to forward ports, and I click that I want to forward ports for HeRO, it tells me this:

We will list a series of lines here that will show you exactly how to forward the ports you need to forward. Hero Online requires you to forward the TCP(6667,18067) and UDP(6667,18067) ports. Go ahead and enter the settings shown above into the Edit Application menu and then click Add Definition.

And those ports don't match the ports that you sent me Pandora :<

So idk what to do here.

Slyph 9x/5x Siroma Slayer Sage
[Image: ac89caih2.gif]
[Image: b060d8ck9.gif]
06-14-2008 02:12 AM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

hero online is a game, it's not ragnarok Icon_biggrin

~ Server Admin ~
06-14-2008 12:43 PM
BlueAlchemy Offline

Well I got the port information into the router, although it helped a bit I still had a problem. But I think chained chaos was right about the distance issue, because after several other attempts, I moved the router and my laptop to the same room the modem was in (a.k.a my parents room), and somehow it fixed the problem. Although it sucks my bro and I can't play RO in the same room. at least we'll be able to play together without lagging and disconnecting like hell.

Thank you all for your time.

and for those who want a Summery of what happend and how it was fixed

1. Gaming computer is in my basement and connected by 100 foot cable from my parents room
2. My bro and I hook up our router to play RO (we never had any problems with it when we played games like Warcraft III)
3. The problem that started this topic began
4. Solution was found when I moved Router closer to internet source

Characters:
Zraxus (main) Creator
Brave Sir Robin    Bard
Inigo   Crusader
VixPaladin  (for gods sake I'm a priest not a paladin)
Check out my store!
06-17-2008 02:12 AM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Thanks for the heads up Icon_smile

~ Server Admin ~
06-17-2008 10:47 AM