Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Literal end of world...maybe
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

RE: Literal end of world...maybe

there are alot more protests and demonstrations/petitions against this than youd think.

and of course government is the one behind this, being reassured by highly paid scientists that nothing can possibly go wrong =\

you're right about it not getting enough media attention.

Optimist of the year:
Rob ?̯͡? says:
dude thats f*cking awesome xDD
Rob ?̯͡? says:
seriously, if the world HAD to end, that is the coolest way for it to do so *-*
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 04:42 PM by teOx.)
08-28-2008 04:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

I don't doubt that there are a lot of protests, but it's not interesting enough for the media to show them ;p (isn't there a study saying that on average there are 350 protests a day in Canada alone? lol. Can't imagine for the USA.)

On the other hand, you can also say that we got other "people in the dark" against this experiment, thus sending some scientists to publish paper against them? So really to the common folks like us who don't know enough about the topic first hand to investigate about it, either side is potentially just as evil and controlled by someone as the other.

I'm all for doing everything you can to stay healthy and live a long life, like eating healthy and exercising and securing your house and stuff, but sometimes you can only do so much and get so far =/ Can't worry it all.

08-28-2008 04:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thecursed Offline
The Great Saiyaman!!

i still cant get over the fact that they are going through with it even though there is a chance that it could cause a black hole and kill all of us...i mean people do hit 1 thara frog and find its card and thats a 0.03 chance xP

Trowa - Retired Noob

Quoted for truth:
azurerogue Wrote:Players leaving the server (recently) has nothing to do with quests.  We leave because we're bored.  HeRo is an excellent server, and I'm not relocating to a new one - I'm just bored with RO in general and I have way too much going on personally to commit time here.
08-28-2008 04:46 PM
Seriyu Offline

It will not, scientists have came out and said that if there were any chance of the entire planet just exploding they wouldn't do it. They've done the math several hundred times, and have just recently run the first test, in order to see if their math is off.

The test took place on a small scale, and the greatest danger to anything would be the machine breaking itself, not breaking the world.

And as for the black holes, it could create very small black holes yes, but they wouldn't be strong enough to pull in enough matter to be sustainable.

I guarentee there's nothing to worry about. Icon_razz

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
08-28-2008 05:04 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

scientists were convinced of that until august 10 when a paper was published outlining that there is definitely a chance of micro black holes forming.

I dont see why you are ruling out the possibility of black holes behaving differently from our mathematical models considering there are already so many different ones and that the LHC is there to answer the question of which one is right.

also i do not accept guarantees from people who cannot spell guarantee right Icon_razz
08-28-2008 05:12 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

Q&A:

Dr. Raj Baldev writes:

? ? the scientists are fully aware that it is not a project without a grave risk to the life of the Earth.?

(Dr. Raj Baldev is Director of the Indira Gandhi Center for Atomic Research)

question Wrote:Why the concern now?
When funding for the LHC was approved decades ago, scientists believed that there was no reasonable danger. But then scientists discovered a few years ago that the LHC might create something called a micro black hole, and CERN then predicted that it might create micro black holes at a rate of 1 per second. And the creation of just 1 micro black hole could potentially destroy the planet in our lifetime.

question Wrote:But surely no scientist would purposefully destroy the planet, that is just not credible!
No, the scientists would not purposefully destroy the planet! But they might do it by accident and they might take risks that are much much higher than they are willing to tell you they might. Just like the managers that recommended Launching the Shuttle Challenger did not believe that it would explode. They knew there might be a reasonable risk because their engineers told them there might be a reasonable risk. But the managers said (paraphrase) ?there is no proof of reasonable risk? launch!?

question Wrote:Micro black holes probably won?t be created will they?
A: Actually according to CERN?s safety web site in 2008 predicted creation of up to 1 micro black hole per second. And CERN still predicts that micro black hole creation will not be an unexpected event.?

question Wrote:Don?t Micro Black Holes just evaporate?
A: The black holes we know of grow at rapid rates, and the following PHDs and Professors of Math and Physics argue that micro black holes might only grow:

Dr. Adam D. Helfer: Do black holes radiate?

?black holes do not radiate?
?no compelling theoretical case for or against radiation by black holes?
?The possibility that non-radiating `mini? black holes exist should be taken seriously; such holes could be part of the dark matter in the Universe?

Dr. William G. Unruh and Prof. Ralf Sch?tzhold: On the Universality of the Hawking Effect:

?Therefore, whether real black holes emit Hawking radiation or not remains an open question?
Prof. V.A. Belinski: On the existence of quantum evaporation of a black hole ?quote?

??the effect [Hawking Radiation] does not exist.?

question Wrote:Ok, so if micro black holes are created, and they do not evaporate, then how fast would a micro black hole grow?
A: Germany?s Dr. Otto E. Rosssler, inventor of Chaos theory?s Rossler attractor, predicts possible destruction of the planet in just years or decades: Abraham-Solution to Schwarzschild Metric Implies That CERN Miniblack Holes Pose a Planetary Risk

question Wrote:What will CERN do if they discover that the Large Hadron Collider is creating micro black holes that don?t evaporate?
A: According to recent reports, CERN will stop the experiment. One recent post on the topic reads ?? if there was a black hole at the interaction point, we could very easily detect a huge drop in the rate of events within a millisecond (from 40 MHz to 100 Hz) and turn off the accelerator.?

question Wrote:So we should be safe correct?
A: Unfortunately once a micro black hole has been created, it may be absorbed by the Earth in just seconds. And once that happens, there is no known power on Earth that could halt the process of micro black hole growth.

source:
LHCFacts.org
-------------------------------------------------------------
Can't remember perfectly but in my prior reading I seem to recall that the temperature of the micro black hole reaches about 25 billion times the temperature of the surface of the sun. And one of the only known ways to halt a black hole's progression is to entrap it in a higher temperature body. That is what he means by there is "no known power on earth that could halt the process"
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 06:05 PM by teOx.)
08-28-2008 05:54 PM
Teot Offline
Veteran from Afar

Honestly, this is rediculous. This experiment is going to benefit mankin in what sense? Knowledge is around us and we barely know 10% of what this planet has? Human technology is WAY too advanced for the human brain. We are definitely not smart enough to handle if the situation does go bad. I am scared to be honest, worried even maybe a bit paranoid. I haven't gotten over the fact that one day imma die...but least over the fact that possibly September 10th, we're all gonna die. I hope someone stops them or raids them beforehand. I'll be watching the news and we will see Europe in a newsflash being destroyed and know we are next within a few minutes if not less. Humans bring the end to themselves.

SuperNatural~ Wizzy
Teot~ The Orange Priestess
FruitLoops~ Smith
[Image: teotbanner2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 06:08 PM by Teot.)
08-28-2008 06:07 PM
Jasper Offline
Don't do drugs kids :O

You know, the Mayans, Ancient Chinese, Merlin, and a few others predicted the end of the world to be around December 2012. Soooo I thinker were safe this September.

[Image: 223968_1188249704copy.jpg]
Tripp - 99/70 High Wizard
Acid Tripp - 96/6x Creator
J Vigil 9x/6x? Lord Knight
My siggy Icon_sad
08-28-2008 06:25 PM
Teot Offline
Veteran from Afar

What's probably gonna happen is that it's gonna be a bit outta control this september 10th then it's gonna eventually too much to contain and then POOF. Isn't merlin fictional? Icon_razz But ya the Mayans did predict december 27th 2012 to be the end...however this is NOT comforting. What was the last thing the Mayan predicted?

SuperNatural~ Wizzy
Teot~ The Orange Priestess
FruitLoops~ Smith
[Image: teotbanner2.jpg]
08-28-2008 06:32 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

RE:??Literal end of world...maybe

Jasper Wrote:You know, the Mayans, Ancient Chinese, Merlin, and a few others predicted the end of the world to be around December 2012. Soooo I thinker were safe this September.

thanks i think i speak for all of us when i say you made us feel 1000% better. Icon_biggrin

more depressing stuff:
-----------------------------------------
Thus, the currently accepted ?safety net? can be described as having 4 levels:
(i) the miniholes may fail to appear;
(ii) the overwhelming majority will leave the earth immediately;
(iii) all will evaporate;
(iv) if not, a long period of linear growth ? ?1 quark per week eaten? ? lets them be
pussycats since it will take at least a million years before they ?eat the earth? [3,4].

The problem is we don?t know the answer to any of the questions above, they are not safety net, they are simply unknowns.
(i) miniholes may appear at a rate of 1 per second as CERN predicted;
(ii) one stable mbh could accrete [destroy] the planet, and most multi-proton mbhs might have velocities too slow to escape Earth;
(iii) evaporation may be a myth as Professor Belinski argues;
(iv) linear growth may be myth as Dr. Rossler argues;
Recall the management argument before the last launch of the shuttle Challenger ?What risk? 300% safety margin, launch!?
------------------------------------------------

...not to mention that even if it took a million years we still just effectively phucked over the planet. i dont see how thats comforting just because its not in our life time. what kind of selfish argument is that? how about this: just dont destroy our planet.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 06:33 PM by teOx.)
08-28-2008 06:32 PM