Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Please hear my story, I need advice.
Fruityla Offline
Miss Ranty Pants

RE: Please hear my story, I need advice.

teOx Wrote:a champion will need a formless chain anyway, so you should just make it first to oneshot them.

I've gotten along just fine without one :D

I don't use @main. Do not ask for me there

~Characters~
"Lady" Linnea: 99/69 Spirit
Champion

Aslinn: 9x/6x High Wizard
Jocelinn: Low-level dagger stalker
Lemon Poring: 9x/50 Brewer
Alchemist
09-10-2008 05:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

no you havent
09-10-2008 05:29 PM
Fruityla Offline
Miss Ranty Pants

RE:??Please hear my story, I need advice.

Oh I have :O I got to lvl 83 didn't I?

~Characters~
Champion

Alchemist
09-10-2008 06:04 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

lets hope he has higher standards of what getting along fine means Icon_biggrin
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2008 06:53 PM by teOx.)
09-10-2008 06:51 PM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

snap is great, but again i have experienced that it is best to get that only when you are a champ...

teOx is just too equipment-oriented...

i agree that having great equips really helps you lvl fast, but as lin said: we can do well without it...

i see he has gone pure str for max destruction potential, but it leaves him with few choices on where to lvl etc.

i don't use fish often enough although i fish and already has a fish head and 5x/6x fishing points...
but even so with regular +4 equips (still panties and undershirt), no cards except for gift box and obb, and regular elemental fists, i can go most anywhere due to my hybrid build...

my current build will have high str and moderate-high dex for TSS, but that comes later as now with moderate low int and moderate low agi and low vit i can go most anywhere without a problem...

so if you want flexibility and low costs, go hybrid...

if you've got the final equips, then go extreme...

so yeah, "getting along fine" is very subjective, and for those hardcore grinders a hybrid build may not look good, but for those who like to savor playing the game, go hybrid!

+1 for hybrid

-w-
09-11-2008 12:12 AM
Lebby Offline

Formless chain is a must later, but a monk can trans with a mighty staff +5 with a 2ko without too much trouble. But you really need to save for those cards formless will help you not only with sleepers~ but with Kasa and kiel later.

And about fishies... just milk the goats. Absorb spirits is a soo good skill for a monk, too bad it isnt used as much it deserves.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2008 02:02 AM by Lebby.)
09-11-2008 02:00 AM
Fruityla Offline
Miss Ranty Pants

First thing's first. I've gotten along fine without a Beholder chain because my Champ was a pure combo in her monk days and is remaining that way for the most part. Unlike everyone else, I don't limit myself to Sleepers, so the Beholder Chain becomes rather pointless (For now).

>_>;; However...don't take that as "completely blow off getting proper gear" for obvious reasons.

It's a good idea to get the chain, really. :3 Can't hurt to have something that can help you level faster.

Now to address the skill issue. I have NO idea how monks manage to get snap. The prereqs eat up a lot of your skill points and you're kinda pressed as is. Save it for Champ when you have 69 skill points instead of 49.

Absorb Spirits...as a monk it's only beneficial when you use it on monsters...and it doesn't work all that often. The Call Spirits + Absorb Spirits DOES NOT WORK. You just end up breaking even because you got back the same 50 sp you used to summon the spheres in the first place. As a Champ, that changes, but we'll talk champ later.

~Characters~
Champion

Alchemist
09-11-2008 03:47 AM
Bakaman Offline

The map that I'm hunting sleepers have geographers. I use Absorb spirits on them sometimes but that kinda slows the process. Well, it's free 112 sp.

About the build, I made this monk just to hunt sleepers anyway, if I can hit 99 with him that's great, I may trans and get Dangerous soul collect and Snap but If I can't, I will just make money with him and stay with my knight =)

I'm pumping dex right now, dunno if I should pump some agi later to dodge some hits (I doubt I will ever dodge them 95%, since they need about 210 flee and that would require way too much agi, even with my panties+undershirt, but even if I only reach 50%, that's teoretically 50% less damage to me right?). How much dex do you think I should get? I was thinking about 75 to have the 50% cast reduction...

Sorry about all the questions, I really have zero knowledge about monks...
09-11-2008 10:03 AM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

>_>; Call Spirit is 8 SP/sphere, and Absorb Spirit is 10 SP/sphere...

///

The absolute lowest cost for a monk is still going to be fully dedicated sleepers. The more stats you made that's purely geared to sleepers, the faster you are at it so you can trans. Also, nothing beats sleepers for zeny for a monk, excluding MvPs.

I'm not sure how you can really effectively hybrid as a monk. Combo wants agi. Spirit wants no agi. The only thing they really share in common is wanting a high str. I'll rather be devoted to one build and I honestly don't see anything wrong with sticking to one place to level, given the reason for this monk's creation is just to make zeny and not mvp+world exploration+hunt items.

As for stats against sleepers, I had 1 agi and no flee gears at all. There's no stats to spare for dodge and a decent dex/atk power together. I simply decided to tank one hit off the sleeper. Usually it's a pretty good goal to try to make your OI fast enough and eventually 1HKO to the point where you just trade 1 blow against each other. For now, sleepers probably hit you 2-3 times before you kill it, so might as well use some fish to heal off your lost hp and sp too (use heal if needed to balance the hp/sp ratio to maximize the effectiveness of fish.) If you don't want to use fish, just absorb spirit more to get the SP to heal yourself.

09-11-2008 10:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bakaman Offline

^that's what I'm doing. I'm fishing a lot, and since my knight only uses salmon and mutant I save the bass and trout to the monk. It's working fine for now.... Spirit absorbing takes way too much time , since I need to recharge my sp every 4 sleepers or so ._.

SO I just pump dex til I'm satisfied with my cast? Then pump a bit of int to help with my sp?
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2008 12:31 PM by Bakaman.)
09-11-2008 12:28 PM