Support High Priest
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Character?
Aegis Offline
I don't get it either...

RE: First Character?

While I agree that SinX are fantastic classes for end game farming, hunters can solo to 99 and trans, then farm lots of gear well before other classes even think about farming. There are many places a hunter can solo much earlier than other classes due to range attacks, stun locking and traps, i.e. anubis, rachel etc. Thus, hunters can level very quickly on monsters that give great exp, and have no slow points, and can job change at j40/41 since arrow shower... well it's not that great.

Now, I'm not saying the other classes are weaker than/not as good as hunters, but hunters have very little cost upkeep, and generally don't need that many healing items. They save up cash very quickly, and while groups can be effective, generally do better on their own.

So, after meandering through the topic, I suggest making a archer/hunter/sniper first, then hunting the gear for what you really want to play afterwards.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2008 09:12 PM by Aegis.)
10-07-2008 09:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

RE: ??First Character?

Nidsrule Wrote:
GM-Ayu Wrote:Sinx also needs the proper armor to survive the dark soul strike and evil land. Hunter as long as you're not mobbed, with arrow repel it's only a matter of time before fast aspd keeps the banshee at bay, and everything else you got decent dodge against it.

A sniper/hunter needs proper armor to level at Nameless as well. Without either ED or Bathory armor, dark soul strike will eat a hunter/sniper, even if they do use arrow repel. Banshees use dark strike at 50% chance (5 second delay) when chasing someone compared to a 20% chance while in melee range. Using arrow charge would keep them in chase mode, giving an overall higher chance to be hit by one or more dark strikes. Either way, Nameless is a waste of time for a hunter/sniper if they aren't packing the right armor (They can get away without the use of such armor assuming they have HP support).

also, having only a santaporing bow doesnt help against all the other monsters, while a simple holy katar would be optimum damage for all using grimtooth. only thing that can compare would be a high damage bow like rudra or skelworker bow and thats not optimum and you definitely cannot mob efficiently, flee as well, nor kill as fast as a sin. sniper will run out of sp quicker too

@aegis. grimtooth/hide/flee allows sin to do what snipers cant in alot of cases. i think only thing hunter naturally can do better is mvp.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2008 09:26 PM by teOx.)
10-07-2008 09:09 PM
Neuneck Offline
Back on the road!

Also for the sp discussion...
Hide: 10 sp + 1 sp every 5 seconds if not maxxed
Grim: 3 (!!!) sp for 150% 3x3 range attack done from hide (not being attacked), slowing down the enemy and allowing you to use status arrows to curse/stun/mute/... the enemies. A Smokie pet allows you to hide even from demons and insects, bosses being the only obstacle.

I soloed up to the mid-90s with just pantie/undershirt, ele katars and a sakkat. Then all i got until now (92 sinX) is hard thief clothes, helm of angel and whisper muffler (and kobold brooches but they don't matter while grimtoothing).

PvP is where sin can become expensive, but that's just normal i guess.

Mr Moe - 99/69 SinX
Mr Satch - 9x/6x Clown
Mr Power - Xx/Xx Whitesmith
Mr Strafe - 9x/50 Hunter - Coffee Break
Mr Heal - 9x/50 Priest
10-08-2008 06:52 AM
Shaelyn Offline
Fae...of DOOM!

frankly, those are all easy classes to level, and none of them are a bad starter.??~laughs~ really, the way I see it, merchant class and gunslinger are the only two bad starters, maybe TK too.

correct me if I'm wrong as my experience is from outside heRO (hai I'm new too)

if you go pri, you may start off as a battle aco, then switch to support sometime early-enough on that the stat/skill reset is still cheap.??then hunt in the skels in payon caves/evil druids (note: the card is valuable)/anubis.

if you go ninja, crimson fire blossom is fast on geographers and mi gao/increase soils.??cast-off ciceda shell and wind blade will go good leveling on seals - though you gotta be more careful, sometimes the ciceda shell pushes you into more seals, and it's a walk from comodo if you die.

hunter - when you're still pretty low level, wormtails W then S of alberta are a decent place to level.??while you're there, kill the patch of red mushrooms - they drop red blood, which makes 500 fire arrows each.??then when you're of decent enough level, you won't have to worry about hunting for arrows to hunt geographers or soils with.

sin has grimtooth.??get mobs practically anywhere and GT them to death.??if you have a friend to tank, even better.??also, a fully loyal pet smokie will be this character's best friend forever (perfect hide.)

to appropriately answer your question, I need more information - what do you want out of your first character???are you going to dive right into PvP with it???do you want a good farmer for the rest of your characters???do you want a character that's easy to party with?

if it were me, I'd look for a good farmer to set up the rest of your characters.??pri's are definitely not the best farmers, and I don't think ninja are either - though I didn't play this class for very long.??hunters can kill hillwinds easily and get you zeny fast.??and sins are fantastic at mobbing, and can also kill hillwinds easily.??but that's really up to you.

~Shae

[Image: 37z4hjpf.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2008 07:42 PM by Shaelyn.)
10-08-2008 07:10 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

RE:??First Character?

Shaelyn Wrote:sin has grimtooth.??get mobs practically anywhere and GT them to death.??if you have a friend to tank, even better.??also, a fully loyal pet smokie will be this character's best friend forever (perfect hide.)

fixed for you. the only class that matters.

and tk is not hard to start. theyre easily probably the least gear dependent class in all of RO for early levels and dont even need to trans. achieving ranker is not hard on this server either which is probably the quickest way to make a strong character on hero.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2008 06:25 AM by teOx.)
10-09-2008 06:24 AM
Fatalis Offline
Shadow of Nobody

Ninja, for the sole purpose of being different. They can do some pretty amazing shit, once you get into using them properly.

I'm speaking from a Fun > Grinding perspective.

Click below for my (unfinished) wiki page!
[Image: PersonalSig.jpg]
[ Known in-game as Revenant Fatalis ]
10-09-2008 08:22 AM
Shaelyn Offline
Fae...of DOOM!

RE: ??First Character?

teOx Wrote:
Shaelyn Wrote:sin has grimtooth.??get mobs practically anywhere and GT them to death.??if you have a friend to tank, even better.??also, a fully loyal pet smokie will be this character's best friend forever (perfect hide.)

fixed for you. the only class that matters.

and tk is not hard to start. theyre easily probably the least gear dependent class in all of RO for early levels and dont even need to trans. achieving ranker is not hard on this server either which is probably the quickest way to make a strong character on hero.

XD

as far as TK, you're right about that. but achieving a ranker status can still be a pain in the ass, if that's what you're going for...in terms of sitting there endlessly trying to get your mission to change.
but no matter what class you go for - TK ranker, SG, linker - they don't really seem to have much merit as a starter class, aside from the fact that they're not as gear-reliant.
and I could be completely wrong in this, my linker didn't get up to that high of a level and I never did SG. but from what I remember, this seemed about right.

~Shae

10-09-2008 08:30 AM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

talk to the good tk rankers out there and learn more about them and what they can do. watch nyuu take down mvps solo or pvp. or watch what lone soldier can do in woe Icon_razz

i have a 99 SG and 96 SG but i dont play them often. but i can at least attest to the fact that they have many uses if you know what youre doing. you must not have met any good ones Icon_razz

tkpride. second only to assassin pride Icon_twisted
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2008 01:29 PM by teOx.)
10-09-2008 01:25 PM
Shaelyn Offline
Fae...of DOOM!

RE:??First Character?

teOx Wrote:talk to the good tk rankers out there and learn more about them and what they can do. watch nyuu take down mvps solo or pvp. or watch what lone soldier can do in woe Icon_razz

i have a 99 SG and 96 SG but i dont play them often. but i can at least attest to the fact that they have many uses if you know what youre doing. you must not have met any good ones Icon_razz

tkpride. second only to assassin pride Icon_twisted

~chuckles~ well, we did only have about 4 active SGs on my old server Sweat couldn't say if they were good or not.

at any rate... we've pretty seriously derailed. XD

~Shae

10-09-2008 01:36 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

yes the OP hasnt posted in since like the first page. Icon_cry
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2008 02:06 PM by teOx.)
10-09-2008 02:05 PM