Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quest Exp Rate
Force-Attuned Krogoth Offline
Jack of All Trades

RE: Quest Exp Rate

Like Ellie said, the road to 99 is quite long enough. If you were going to get anything out of it, doing all the quests at 5x exp is not going to change that. How many people do you know sucked from 1-98, then made a magic breakthrough and got better in the final level? RO is not complicated enough for this to be a concern. Either you learn or you don't, and we've PLENTY of evidence that levels have no impact on this. Not even time spent on the game is anything like a reliable meter of skill. The only people affected by a change in quest exp are the people who don't stick it out in the first place, and there's no guarantee they'll make it with 5x quests. I think the only sensible course is to try it and see.

This is not the end of the world, but if we implement it and there is a significant change in the quality of players we get ... well, you did tell me so.

Kroggles ensures the living stay living, and the dead stay dead.
Clobberella beats you up.
Teela Brown has a birdie!
Flosshilde communes with the very souls of the damned.
Walsung is actually pretty cool. For a guy made of metal.
03-15-2009 07:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
t0nz0r Away
Sir Awesomeness

I haven't really read through the entire topic..But I think I get the major gist of it.

But is it at all possible to make some quests about the job you're playing? So that if the player doesn't feel like grinding / partying, they can learn how to play their characters a little better via quests? Like I dunno..Have 5 rooms with different monsters, each needing to use a certain technique listed by the NPC with a protip. If they don't have the skill then maybe skill scrolls? Not the best idea, but just something along those lines.

Also.. Why not raise the quest exp? Maybe not 5x (If it's going to create so much hassle), but a little more? As a pure grinder (Not really knowing much quests), It'd be good to take a few breaks, do a few quests and still be rewarded with EXP / items. As a CASUAL RO player, I'd just like to hit 99 so I can be mad with the aura. I think it might be a good idea to raise them for the casual RO players, but not over the top and who aren't all super hardcore about RO skillz. I dunno how many other casual RO players there are in heRO mind you.

[Image: tonysig8ll-1.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2009 08:06 AM by t0nz0r.)
03-15-2009 07:59 AM
Kretzer Offline
Fat-Ality

RE:??Quest Exp Rate

rams365 Wrote:Hahaha I'm laughing really hard at the guy who says Snipers should lvl with a skill other then DS. YES YOU'RE RIGHT I should totally go full FA build and kill the main purpose I play sniper, DPS. Thats what a sniper is about for me. If i wanted moderately fast casting high damage high cooldown skills I would have made a wizard, genious.
Hey guys! We should all leave the place we level the fastest and make a noob party where we all use our secondary skills and lvl super slow!! Good idea right?

I said

Noobzer Wrote:Giving more Exp by means of quest and by so, reducing the amount of time we have to Grind is not game breaking at all, its a relief. And people who DO Suck will continue to Suck until they put some effort into learning their characters past the ussual grinding spot and jamming their main skill (Im looking at YOU, TU and DS).

As in, learn to use your other skills to support your gameplay. Heck, before Traps were Nerfed, HUNTERS 1HKOed Dracula.
And Notice how i said "Main Skill", as in, the most used skill in this context (that being Leveling). DS is wonderfull, your bread n' Butter, your Holy Grail of Leveling, but your other skills are what makes a Hunter into a Hunter, learn to use them.
03-15-2009 08:33 AM
Rei Ayanami Offline
hungry hungry hippo

mmm, i think quest exp is rather missing the point of exp. you are intended to learn how to progress to more and more difficult aspects of the game through leveling. just like how you are not intended to level on porings from 1/1 novi to 99/70 something else. (you can if you wanted to but, nobody will stop you. And my offer still stands for those who get to trans 99/70 from 1/1 novi through porings and porings only, all my zeny)

to me quests with exp is rather redundant for most parts. mainly because when people do reach 99 through this means then they'll realise they've missed the rest of the game. they will have no equips thats worth mentioning, no money, no knowledge of other areas of the game aside from how to get exp through the quests.

exp lvling from various aspects are beautiful in that it forces you to explore the game as much as possible. i do wish sometimes i can just go >POP< and become this freaky untouchable super warrior (actually my image of the perfect paly <- the class i play, is a solid, steel sphere, polished with mirror finish to reflect spells). but then again, where will the fun of that be? its like cheating through a game so you can watch the ending credit. i can just youtube it if i wanted that.

its my opinion. I am also a casual RO player and imo its better to just leave the current exp quests as they are and most hopefully not indulge speed leveling as most often it will simply suck the fun out of it. It will also make you reliant on supports from others as you most probably not know how to (copies and pastes JJJ's list of things).

When someone calls you a lunatic and the first thing that came to mind is a cute, fluffy, white bunny, you know you've played too much RO.

Welcome to our world.
03-15-2009 08:43 AM
Force-Attuned Krogoth Offline
Jack of All Trades

Bring to me one person who's experience in the game was lessened by quest exp. You say "they will never learn" and you're right; but it's not because of the quests. You CANNOT get to 99, even untrans, without going to a dungeon. I shall repeat that. Not one single person will get to 99 from quests. Everyone will have to get, at the least, 95-99 by other means. As anyone who has done it can attest, that's plenty of time to learn whatever build you get it with.

Yet people still fail to understand their jobs by the time they trans. How did this happen? It's not because of quests. I'm not even going to call leeching the cause of it, despite the regularity of this practice in some guilds. If you want to learn how to play, you will. If you do not want to learn, you will not. I challenge anyone to show me an example to the contrary.

Kroggles ensures the living stay living, and the dead stay dead.
Clobberella beats you up.
Teela Brown has a birdie!
Flosshilde communes with the very souls of the damned.
Walsung is actually pretty cool. For a guy made of metal.
03-15-2009 10:48 AM
Slate Offline
Cue-ball Warrior

The more posts I read on the topic, the more convinced I get that the whole game-teaching issue being debated here doesn't matter at all. As has been said already, to be good at something you have to practice it. So what if someone gets through levels via a method that doesn't teach them things? The fact is:

People learn how to play the game eventually anyway.

Why? Because regardless of how you level, or even what your level is, certain parts of RO appeal to you, and even after you reach 99, you'll be doing those things and thus getting better at them. Does grinding help with that? Do quests help with that? Who cares? Even if they did (they might, Iunno, that's not the point), they wouldn't provide all the knowledge one would need.

The point is that people play RO to be entertained. Level has little to do with that. People get good at what they like, because regardless of level, even if they're 99 already, they do it. Their levelling methods don't matter in that context, so what good is it to discuss whether or not either method helps them learn things more? If they get some useful knowledge out of levelling, more power to them. If not, they can just as easily learn after they're done levelling.

Let's explore some other issues regarding the quest exp raise beyond its nonexistant effect on player skill.

[Image: 33918807.png]
Fortune Favors the Bald

Slate: 9x/6x Lord Knight
Basalt: 9x/50 Sage
Glass: 9x/50 Bard
03-15-2009 10:50 AM
JJJ Offline
JJJ

Ellie Wrote:.. I don't understand why this point here keeps coming up.
You CANNOT fully level from 1/1 novie to 99 trans with just quests...
Or even normal 99, I do believe~

So they are going to HAVE to go kill something, at some stage.

To say that if we raise quest exp, that they will never go and kill anything is somewhat.... well, silly.

i knowwwwwww but still it makes it a whole lot easier ={
*this is the one point i can't really argue against XD*

t0nz0r Wrote:But is it at all possible to make some quests about the job you're playing? So that if the player doesn't feel like grinding / partying, they can learn how to play their characters a little better via quests? Like I dunno..Have 5 rooms with different monsters, each needing to use a certain technique listed by the NPC with a protip. If they don't have the skill then maybe skill scrolls? Not the best idea, but just something along those lines.

the job specific quests, aka the thief training quest, aco training quest, and so on where the only kind of quests that RO has that does that kind of thing

PS: to everyone that says you can't get to 99 off quests, multiply them by 10 instead of 5 and you can XD

------------------
Slate Wrote:Let's explore some other issues regarding the quest exp raise beyond its nonexistant effect on player skill.
although i disagree with the "nonexsistant effect on player skill" i might as well argue this too then

so if we raise quest exp by 5x shouldn't we raise the prizes by that amount too then? so that would mean i'd get 5 nile roses [1], 5 OPBs, 5 OBBs, and so on? (pretty sure you'll all agree this would be ridiculous)

i mean it makes sense if you want to increase the prize amount by 5x

[Image: SignatureVersion22.png][Image: Liffinished-1-1.png]
I Love To Help So If You Ever Need Something Feel Free To PM Me ^_^
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2009 03:58 PM by JJJ.)
03-15-2009 03:55 PM
Frogboy Offline
Posting Freak

lol J J J, you just brought up a whole new can of worms with talking about multiplying the prizes by 5. it wouldn't be 5 it would be 3 as that is what the server rate is, but thing is, that rate applies to drop percentage, not the amount of drops you get. considering quest items and exp to be compared to monster exp and items, the item amount never changes only the rate at which the item drops, nor does the exp change, just at how much exp they give dependent on the server rates.

in the same likeness, quest exp should give at the same rate as what the server is giving, and the drops, well since they're fixed at a 100% rate (unless the quest otherwise says if you do something wrong and screw up and can't get the drop) then multiplying that rate by 3 or 5 or whatever won't change how much you get from the npc, just its frequency.
03-15-2009 07:10 PM
JJJ Offline
JJJ

3 5 pish i don't level why do i need to know the rates? XD

but if we're increasing the rewards, and the reason is to make more people do quests, wouldn't it make more sense to increase all the prizes? XD

but anyway, thats not really an argument i have no worries this will happen... im pretty sure we have enough sense not to increase quest items?... right?

[Image: SignatureVersion22.png][Image: Liffinished-1-1.png]
I Love To Help So If You Ever Need Something Feel Free To PM Me ^_^
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2009 02:07 AM by JJJ.)
03-15-2009 09:31 PM
Kretzer Offline
Fat-Ality

RE:??Quest Exp Rate

JJJ Wrote:i don't level why do i need to know the rates? XD

but anyway, thats not really an argument i have worries will happen... im pretty sure we have enough sense not to increase quest items?... right?

About the item rewards, yesh.

Now onto the argument, "i don't level why do i need to know the rates?".

You've been arguing against an Exp Rate change when you don't even take part on the...Gaming part of the game. You are a big part of our social community but on this part, i really think you should let it go, watch by the sidewalk, AND later if the increased Quest exp rates do puck us off, then you can laugh in our faces and say I told you so. But right now i don't know why you even care whether or not the Exp rates are increased.
03-15-2009 10:07 PM