Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Thing About Private Servers
Twiddy Offline
The End of Evolution

RE: The Thing About Private Servers

This reeks of someone trying to justify how they've chosen to invest their time.

I'm not sure what your friend means by "tough". I'm not even sure why it should be an esteemed goal to be a "tough" gamer. I also don't see why your friend believes that he needs a certain community to shape his attitude and skills. Nor do I see how being willing to invest more time to get the same thing done should be a virtue (this game has a serious grind issue).

I can't imagine a significant difference between how tough a server makes you, unless you specifically choose not to motivate yourself. I can possibly see the argument when you're talking about a mid rate or higher, but it's not like 5x rates make this game easy or reasonable in terms of length.

EDIT: Wow, this forum has weird thread necromancy.

Twiddy, Sin|Not Twiddy, Perma-Archer|Definitely Twiddy, Perma-Merchant
I know all the moves in the game. ~DiscOH
And this world's smartest man means no more to me than does its smartest termite. ~Dr. Manhattan
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2009 08:35 AM by Twiddy.)
07-07-2009 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bloodbane Away
¤†Hero of old times†¤

RE:??The Thing About Private Servers

Twiddy Wrote:This reeks of someone trying to justify how they've chosen to invest their time.

I'm not sure what your friend means by "tough". I'm not even sure why it should be an esteemed goal to be a "tough" gamer. I also don't see why your friend believes that he needs a certain community to shape his attitude and skills. Nor do I see how being willing to invest more time to get the same thing done should be a virtue (this game has a serious grind issue).

I can't imagine a significant difference between how tough a server makes you, unless you specifically choose not to motivate yourself. I can possibly see the argument when you're talking about a mid rate or higher, but it's not like 5x rates make this game easy or reasonable in terms of length.

EDIT: Wow, this forum has weird thread necromancy.

I dont think any answer we give will resolve the whole argument since its all just a matter of opinion...

I find it quite funny how people try to justify it.

Never forget the old days.
[Image: screenheRO-Server124-1.jpg]

-~Proud husband, father, and the luckiest guy in the world.~-

Steam Profile
Youtube
07-07-2009 09:11 AM
Matrim Cauthon Jr Offline
Bipolarsexual

Playing an official server in general will make you tougher, or at least more polished. I cut my RO teeth on iRO Chaos from 2003 till sometime in 2005. I quit paying just after Einbroch came out. I had done alot of free trials before my official subscription. I had my first RO wife there. Ran my first guild there. But above all, I explored everywhere. Even today most maps I know like the back of my hand. And if someone goes "I need Rainbow Shells" I immediately say "One East. One North from Geffen for Stainers".

I was around during peak of LoD farming. The DBing of spawn points. I had a Poporing digest a rare. You name it, I did it. Except for pvp/WoE..cause that just doesn't interest me.

I also played a ton of other private servers before I got here. Hero is currently my second fav server I've ever played. I love the Fishing & Mining. I like the birth announcements..and it's challenging but very reasonable in time to get legitimately good.

I'm a 94 Rogue in about a month and a half...missed most of two weeks so *shrugs*. But anyway, in terms of overall skill, experience on officials does help.
07-16-2009 11:37 AM
Rasufe Offline

What we should really be telling this poor kid is to get his priorities straight..I don't think your goal in life should be attempting to be a "tough gamer."

But thats just my opinion :D

[Image: rasufesig.gif]
08-01-2009 11:18 AM