Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something I've always been wondering (account bans)
BlueAlchemy Offline

Threads: 28
Something I've always been wondering (account bans)
A long time ago, people who got perma banned used to simply have there accounts deleted, (this was both on private servers and iRO) but now there just perma banned, whats up with that? Although I can see a few reasons why perma ban would be a logical thing to do such as being able to appeal a unjust ban, but I want to get an opinion or explanation from someone else.

EDIT: and before anyone asks, this was just on my mind for the past few years
Characters:
Zraxus (main) Creator
Brave Sir Robin    Bard
Inigo   Crusader
VixPaladin  (for gods sake I'm a priest not a paladin)
Check out my store!
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2009, 02:58 AM by BlueAlchemy.)
07-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Find Reply
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

Threads: 133
RE: Something I've always been wondering (account bans)
They are perma-banned so they don't come back. Unless you're asking why they aren't banned and deleted. I'm confused to that one, too. I can't imagine how many names are unavailable because they already exist in an account which was perma-banned. =/
[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
07-22-2009, 03:01 AM
Find Reply
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

Threads: 12
Certainly saves people from choosing a name, jumping ingame, and finding the stigma attached to it. =P
Inasad
stop doing dickers
07-22-2009, 03:13 AM
Find Reply
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

Threads: 133
LoL, that is true.??It's just as easy to say, "No, I'm not him," though.??I've never had to lie about not being me, but people tend to believe you pretty quickly.??Just the other day a guy on here PM'ed me asking if I was a guy from a server I've never heard of because he used the name Jormungandr.??Ok
[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
07-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Find Reply
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

Threads: 485
You also want to avoid unnecessary confusion of unspeakable rage from the community against someone who just happens to share the identical name as a previously banned player (guess that's part of the stigma point heh)
07-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Website Find Reply
Buffalo Bob Offline
Your Friendly Neighborhood Market Keeper

Threads: 6
I dunno. I've seen a friend uninstall an RO because that server had his preferred name already in use. I have proof!

I know I wouldn't know what to do were Buffalo Bob out of the question. I'm not Merch Bob or whatever else. I'm Buffalo Bob. Well not literally, but y'all know what I mean. Evil

-bb-
[Image: style2,Buffalo-spc-Bob.png]

[Image: Zeny.gif]
07-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Website Find Reply
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Threads: 703
Reasons are in the thread already, in case of appeal, and also its simpler to ban than to go and delete characters/account. iRO probably has a very different database than we do, I don't know about them but I don't like deleting entries in case it causes problems.
07-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Find Reply
Aqualys Offline
Azure Sky

Threads: 24
Personally, the only reason I'd be okay with deleting a banned account/characters is if they're hogging a top 10 blacksmith, alchemist or taekwon list. Being inactive is one thing, but a banned person shouldn't hinder someone else to get ranked as they normally should.
[Image: Combination.jpg]
07-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Find Reply
zanias Offline
It was in our own hearts, all of us.

Threads: 20
Yeah, but if everyone knows that a person is banned, then the truth of your ranking should come out. Actually, if you were 99/70 then it goes by who got there first doesn't it? Then that would be kind of a mess.

Panda, Okay, I can understand not wanting to mess any of the code or server up by deleting banned accounts... but shouldn't that make the server run smoother? That's wasted space just stagnating there.
[Image: 30086811_2135620823427028_3680913343494750208_n.jpg]
07-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Find Reply
BlueAlchemy Offline

Threads: 28
RE:??Something I've always been wondering (account bans)
zanias Wrote:Panda,??Okay, I can understand not wanting to mess any of the code or server up by deleting banned accounts... but shouldn't that make the server run smoother???That's wasted space just stagnating there.

my thoughts exactly, but each account is probably like... 10-50KB of data (since its probably just a recording of what you have on your character's and storage) so its probably not that big a impact to go on a deleting spree for.
Characters:
Zraxus (main) Creator
Brave Sir Robin    Bard
Inigo   Crusader
VixPaladin  (for gods sake I'm a priest not a paladin)
Check out my store!
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2009, 10:07 PM by BlueAlchemy.)
07-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Find Reply